John Moon, USMC, 103, WWII vet believed to be final Iwo Jima survivor
2019-11-01 01:25:19 UTC
https://wgem.com/2019/10/30/lifetime-macomb-resident-and-wwii-vet-dies-at-103/

Lifetime Macomb resident and WWII vet dies at 103

4:28 pm
October 30, 2019

News, Top Stories

MACOMB (WGEM) — Lifetime Macomb resident, Western Illinois University Alumni, and WWII veteran, John Moon passed away Tuesday.

The Dodsworth-Piper-Wallen Funeral Home reported that Moon passed away at 8:40 a.m. Tuesday at Wesley Village Healthcae Center in Macomb.

The Western Illinois Museum has stated that Moon was born in Macomb on April 3, 1916.

The Museum stated that Moon served in the Marine Corps 5th Division which served in the Pacific Theater and saw major action during the battle of Iwo Jima.

Western Illinois University officials state that after graduating from WIU and returning from the war, Moon first opened and operated the S & J Café on the Macomb Square for nearly 20 years, followed by a candy store on the square for 20 more years.

He finished his career as a driver’s ed teacher for Macomb High School in the 1980s.

Moon was 103 and is believed to be the oldest surviving Marine from the battle of Iwo Jima.

Arrangements are pending at Dodsworth-Piper-Wallen Funeral Home.

http://www.legacy.com/news/celebrity-deaths/notable-deaths/article/john-moon-1916-2019-oldest-known-surviving-veteran-of

John Moon (1916–2019), oldest known surviving veteran of Iwo Jima
USMC

Served in the Marine Corps 5th Division

By: Legacy Staff

4 hours ago

John Moon was believed to be the oldest known surviving veteran of Iwo Jima. He served in the Marine Corps 5th Division which saw heavy fighting against the Japanese Army on the island of Iwo Jima in 1945. He fought on the island for 13 days before being wounded. He helped another injured soldier make it to a rear aid station. He was then sent back to Hawaii to recover. He was 28 at the time of the battle.

After the war he opened and operated the S & J Café in his hometown of Macomb, Illinois for 20 years, followed by a candy store for another 20 years.

We invite you to share condolences for John Moon in our Guest Book.

Died: Tuesday, October 29, 2019 (Who else died on October 29?)

Details of death: Died in Macomb, Illinois at the age of 103.

Enlisting after Pearl Harbor: Moon was working for Caterpillar Tractor Company in East Peoria, Illinois, as a physical test operator at the time Pearl Harbor was attacked. He was married and had an 18-month old son at the time.

Notable quote: “I was working at Caterpillar when I heard them announce that Pearl Harbor had taken place, and I told my wife when I went home this is going to be quite a serious war. They say it’s going to be a war to end all wars, which of course it wasn’t, but that was what the newspapers were touting, this will be the war to end all wars. And I said my son, Paul, is only 18 months old, and I need to help the United States make the world safe for that little fellow,” he told the Veterans History Project in 2014, when he was 98.
d***@gmail.com
2019-11-01 06:48:16 UTC