OT: Is everyone seeing a new format?
Lenona
2020-08-20 19:17:50 UTC
Or what-do-you-call-it.

Not only have the subject lines been reduced to two dozen characters at the most (very inconvenient), but the way Google Groups looks right now, I'm afraid to sign out. How complicated would it be for me to sign back in?

2020-08-20 19:25:33 UTC
a new format?
Yeas, and I hate it. It doesn't seem to let anybody know how many views a certain topic has had.
Adam H. Kerman
2020-08-20 20:12:44 UTC
Post by Lenona
Or what-do-you-call-it.
Not only have the subject lines been reduced to two dozen characters at
the most (very inconvenient), but the way Google Groups looks right now,
I'm afraid to sign out. How complicated would it be for me to sign back
in?
Every Usenet user should subscribe to a News server and use a newsreader
of his choice. Google Group was, is, and always will be unaceptable.
J.D. Baldwin
2020-08-20 23:04:42 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Every Usenet user should subscribe to a News server and use a
newsreader of his choice. Google Group was, is, and always will be
unaceptable.
I agree, but it does at least look like they stopped MIME-encoding
straight text. Like, fifteen years after the whole Internet started
begging them to knock that crap off.
Adam H. Kerman
2020-08-20 23:20:45 UTC
Post by J.D. Baldwin
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Every Usenet user should subscribe to a News server and use a
newsreader of his choice. Google Group was, is, and always will be
unaceptable.
I agree, but it does at least look like they stopped MIME-encoding
straight text. Like, fifteen years after the whole Internet started
begging them to knock that crap off.
You mean the quoted-printable encoding when someone uses rich text? Gah.

I'll look for it being gone. That would be good news.
b***@shaw.ca
2020-08-21 02:37:14 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by Lenona
Or what-do-you-call-it.
Not only have the subject lines been reduced to two dozen characters at
the most (very inconvenient), but the way Google Groups looks right now,
I'm afraid to sign out. How complicated would it be for me to sign back
in?
Every Usenet user should subscribe to a News server and use a newsreader
of his choice. Google Group was, is, and always will be unaceptable.
The trusty news reader for Mac that I used for many years --
Multi-Threaded News Watcher (MTNW) as well as its predecessors --
has been broken for several years and is no longer being supported.
I've kept an eye open for a decent news reader for Mac, but nothing
satisfactory has crossed my path. That's why I'm hanging on to
GG as a temporary haven.

bill
Louis Epstein
2020-08-23 05:34:15 UTC
Post by b***@shaw.ca
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by Lenona
Or what-do-you-call-it.
Not only have the subject lines been reduced to two dozen characters at
the most (very inconvenient), but the way Google Groups looks right now,
I'm afraid to sign out. How complicated would it be for me to sign back
in?
Every Usenet user should subscribe to a News server and use a newsreader
of his choice. Google Group was, is, and always will be unaceptable.
The trusty news reader for Mac that I used for many years --
Multi-Threaded News Watcher (MTNW) as well as its predecessors --
has been broken for several years and is no longer being supported.
I've kept an eye open for a decent news reader for Mac, but nothing
satisfactory has crossed my path. That's why I'm hanging on to
GG as a temporary haven.
bill
Mac OS X + are front-ends welded onto FreeBSD.
On my FreeBSD systems I've always used tin or trn.
Are they Mac-compatible?

t***@yahoo.com
2020-08-20 20:26:38 UTC
Post by Lenona
Or what-do-you-call-it.
Not only have the subject lines been reduced to two dozen characters at the most (very inconvenient), but the way Google Groups looks right now, I'm afraid to sign out. How complicated would it be for me to sign back in?
Lenona.
Go to settings and you can return to the original format.
That Derek
2020-08-20 22:01:36 UTC
Go to settings ...
Where do you find this for this page?
Bermuda999
2020-08-21 09:56:26 UTC
Go to settings ...
Where do you find this for this page?
At the top of the new page, click on the symbol that looks like a gear wheel (that is the generic symbol for "settings")

The drop-down gives you the option to return to the old format
Lenona
I just did that (I had to twist the iPad to the horizontal position first before I could see the gear wheel) but I'm still seeing the old format. How long should it take to kick in?
b***@shaw.ca
2020-08-21 01:21:55 UTC
Post by Lenona
Or what-do-you-call-it.
Not only have the subject lines been reduced to two dozen characters at the most (very inconvenient), but the way Google Groups looks right now, I'm afraid to sign out. How complicated would it be for me to sign back in?
You don't need to sign in to read and post from Google Groups.

I had a quick look at the new format a few weeks ago and found it
difficult to navigate and impossible to post. I quickly reverted
to the old format and am hoping it takes a long time before the
new format becomes universal, but I don't trust GG any farther
than I can throw it.

bill
Topic Cop
2020-08-21 03:42:17 UTC
No, not everyone. Dipshit.
Steve Hayes
2020-08-22 03:12:34 UTC

http://www.khanya.org.za/stevesig.htm
http://khanya.wordpress.com
Steve Hayes
2020-08-25 02:51:43 UTC
Post by Lenona
Or what-do-you-call-it.
Not only have the subject lines been reduced to two dozen characters
at the most (very inconvenient), but the way Google Groups looks right
now, I'm afraid to sign out. How complicated would it be for me to
sign back in?
I use GoogleGroups only for reporting spam in newsgroups, most of
which emanates from Google. The new Googlegroups editor produces
badly-formatted messages.