Richard Furlaud 1923-2018
2019-01-03 22:57:54 UTC
I find randomly searching on his name that
Richard Mortimer Furlaud (born April 15th 1923)
died September 10th 2018.

(I watch the Wikipedia death-reporting page but he doesn't
have an article there and wasn't mentioned,he's mentioned in passing in
his grandfather's article).

Furlaud built Squibb (including the time when it included Beech-Nut)
first as part of Olin (where he had worked) and then on its own,and
finally sold it to Bristol-Myers,becoming president of the merged
Bristol-Myers Squibb in its early years before retiring in 1991.

While Squibb was independent it had a policy that exempted those
"who have served or are serving as chairman of the board or chairman
of the executive committee" from retirement age for board members
(the beneficiaries were John J. McCloy and G. Keith Funston,one
chairing the executive committee,the other preceding Furlaud as chair)
but Furlaud never got to 70 in the years it applied to him.The
chairman/CEO of Bristol-Myers and then Bristol-Myers Squibb was
Richard Gelb (1924-2004) who joined the company when it bought
Alberto-Culver.

2019-01-03 23:00:11 UTC
Post by Louis Epstein
[...]
Ooops,I apparently misremembered...Clairol,not Alberto-Culver.