Buck Henry, 89 -- Variety; Hollywood Repoter; Mark Evanier/News from ME
2020-01-09 14:27:19 UTC
https://variety.com/2014/film/news/buck-henry-dead-dies-graduate-1203461416/

HOME Film Obituaries

June 24, 2014 4:46PM PT

Buck Henry, ‘Graduate’ Writer and ‘Get Smart’ Co-Creator, Dies at 89
By Rick Schultz

CREDIT: Underwood Archives/REX/Shutterstock

Buck Henry, a writer, actor and director whose 1967 Oscar-nominated adapted screenplay for “The Graduate” captured a generation’s frustration with their parents’ conspicuous consumption and rigid expectations, died Wednesday in Los Angeles. He was 89.

“The Graduate,” from a novel by Charles Webb, launched Henry’s film writing career, which also included memorable 1970 adaptations of Joseph Heller’s “Catch-22” and Bill Manoff’s hit Broadway play “The Owl and the Pussycat.” He also adapted Joyce Maynard’s novel “To Die For” for the 1995 Gus Van Sant film that starred Nicole Kidman.

“I can write in anybody’s voice,” Henry told an interviewer in 2009, “which is why I am most successful adapting books and plays.”

Most recently he and Michal Zebede co-scripted an adaptation of Philip Roth’s 2009 novel “The Humbling” for a film directed by Barry Levinson and starring Al Pacino and Greta Gerwig that was released in January 2015.

Henry was one of the writers of the smash 1972 screwball comedy “What’s Up, Doc?” And he shared a co-director Oscar nomination with Warren Beatty for 1978’s “Heaven Can Wait.” Henry also appeared in the hit film as an exasperated, bureaucratic angel. (He also directed the less-successful “First Family” in 1980.)

In 1965, Henry co-created with Mel Brooks the highly successful spy spoof “Get Smart” for NBC. Brooks exited after the pilot episode, but Henry stayed for two seasons, winning his second Emmy in 1967 for the two-part “Ship of Spies.” Henry once said it made him happy to hear that real FBI and CIA guys liked “Get Smart.” He had heard there was an FBI museum exhibiting the shoe phone and Cone of Silence from the series. “I hope that’s true,” he said.

Henry had won his first Emmy in 1965 for “That Was the Week That Was” (NBC), a news satire show now viewed as a precursor to “The Daily Show.”

“Get Smart” helped open the door to Henry’s film writing career. Henry told author Mark Harris in “Pictures at a Revolution” that hiring him for “The Graduate” was “a leap of faith” on director Mike Nichols’ part. “He was really just going on personality and ‘Get Smart,’” Henry said.

Henry, who appeared in “The Graduate” as a hotel clerk, was the fourth screenwriter hired by Nichols. Starting from scratch, he toned down the smugness of Benjamin Braddock, the character played by Dustin Hoffman. He also invented one of the film’s most memorable lines, in which a middle-aged businessman offers Braddock advice about his future: “I just want to say one word to you — plastics.” That piece of dialogue was not in the original novel.

In a 1997 interview with National Public Radio, Henry said he almost dropped the line, thinking it was “a sort of ’50s society way of complaining about falseness.” But it resonated with younger audiences and helped turn the film into a classic.

Other films Henry wrote included “The Owl and the Pussycat,” thriller “The Day of the Dolphin” and “Grumpy Old Men.”

Between 1976 and 1980, Henry hosted “Saturday Night Live” 10 times. The “Samurai” sketches with John Belushi were among his most popular. He played Mr. Dantley, who seemingly understood every word of Belushi’s fake Japanese. More controversial were his two Uncle Roy sketches, with Henry playing a giddily pedophilic uncle babysitting Laraine Newman and Gilda Radner. The sketches ended with “I think there’s an Uncle Roy in every family.”

A gifted comic actor, Henry played Liz Lemon’s father on “30 Rock” (NBC) in 2010. He appeared twice in 2007 as a correspondent on “The Daily Show” and in multiple episodes of “Hot in Cleveland” in 2011, playing Betty White’s boyfriend.

Henry appeared in many films, including Milos Forman’s “Taking Off” (1971), “The Man Who Fell to Earth” (1976) and “Eating Raoul” (1982). In the opening scene of Robert Altman’s “The Player” (1992), Henry plays himself, pitching a loony gothic version of “The Graduate, Part Two.” In 2011, he was asked what he really thought about making a sequel to perhaps his most iconic film. “I did my best to kill it,” he said. “They would have been hard put to make it without Mike and Dustin. All things you love have an excuse to be of and by themselves.”

In 2009 Henry appeared Off Broadway in Lisa Ebersole’s play “Mother,” but the New York Times panned, blaming the writer.

Henry Zuckerman, the only child of silent film star Ruth Taylor and Paul Stuart Zuckerman, an Air Force general and stockbroker, was born in New York City. He took the nickname “Buck” from his grandfather, who was also a stockbroker, known for “bucking” the market. Henry legally changed his name in the 1970s. He attended Choate and Dartmouth.

Henry’s gift for comedy writing developed out of his acting experience with Greenwich Village improvisational troupe the Premise in 1960 and was honed by writing for the Steve Allen and Garry Moore television shows.

In the 1950s and early ’60s, Henry worked in New York dubbing foreign films including “The Bridge” and “The Cranes Are Flying.” He can also be heard in the Hercules films of that era.

From 1959-62, he generated some notoriety by pretending to be G. Clifford Prout Jr., the president of the Society for Indecency to Naked Animals (SINA). Henry called the prank organization “a parody of uptight, silly morality chasers.” (Slogans included “A nude horse is a rude horse.”) But Walter Cronkite, who broadcast a serious segment on SINA for CBS News, never forgave Henry for not letting him in on the joke.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/buck-henry-dead-graduate-get-smart-screenwriter-was-89-752310

MOVIES

Buck Henry, Fun-Loving Screenwriter and Actor, Dies at 89

9:19 PM PST 1/8/2020
by Mike Barnes

The comic genius penned 'The Graduate,' 'What’s Up, Doc?' and 'To Die For,' co-created 'Get Smart' and was a legend of 'Saturday Night Live.'

Buck Henry, the impish screenwriter whose wry, satirical sensibility brought comic electricity to The Graduate, What’s Up, Doc?, To Die For and TV’s Get Smart, has died. He was 89.

Henry, a two-time Oscar nominee who often appeared onscreen — perhaps most memorably as a 10-time host (all in the show’s first four years) on Saturday Night Live — died of a heart attack Wednesday at a Los Angeles hospital, his wife, Irene, told The Washington Post. He had suffered a stroke in November 2014.

With his sad visage, owlish spectacles and ubiquitous baseball cap, Henry crafted the persona of a playful egghead. He was described by the late Los Angeles Times film critic Charles Champlin as having the “operative demeanor of a kind of organized Wally Cox.”

Henry was adept at reshaping scripts, and he credited his talent for adaptation to his early years of working on TV variety shows, where he wrote for hundreds of comedians and actors and was able to channel their individual “voices.”

When producer Lawrence Turman and director Mike Nichols were unhappy with Calder Willingham’s too-dark script for The Graduate (1967) — based on the 1963 novel by Charles Webb about a recent college graduate who has an affair with the wife of his father’s business partner — Nichols gave the untested Henry a crack at it.

“He wasn’t a screenwriter when I asked him to write the screenplay. He improvised comedy,” Nichols recalled in a 2008 interview with Vanity Fair. "He had not, to my knowledge, written anything. And I said, ‘I think you could do it; I think you should do it.’ And he could, and he did.”

At the time, Henry was working in his second season as story editor for Get Smart, the sidesplitting spy spoof he created with Mel Brooks.

"Turman, Nichols and I related to The Graduate in exactly the same way," Henry told Vanity Fair. "We all thought we were [the book’s protagonist] Benjamin Braddock. Plus, it’s an absolutely first-class novel, with great characters, great dialogue, a terrific theme. Who could resist it? I read it and I said, 'Yes, let’s go.'"

Henry landed his first Oscar nom for the screenplay (he came up with the word "plastics" and had a small role in the film) and received a second nom for co-directing (with Warren Beatty) the reincarnation comedy Heaven Can Wait, a remake of the 1941 film Here Comes Mr. Jordan.

Most recently, Henry and Michal Zebede adapted Philip Roth’s 2009 novel for Barry Levinson’s The Humbling, which starred Al Pacino as a fading actor and was released in 2014 after screening at the Venice and Toronto film festivals.

Henry was born Henry Zuckerman on Dec. 9, 1930, in New York City. His mother was Ruth Taylor, a silent-screen actress who played the gold-digger Lorelei Lee in a now-extinct 1928 film version of Gentlemen Prefer Blondes; his father, Paul, was an Air Force general and Wall Street broker whose friends included Ernest Hemingway and Humphrey Bogart.

His grandfather, whom he was named after, was nicknamed Buck.

Henry attended the private Dalton School in Manhattan and Harvard Military Academy in Los Angeles, made his acting debut at 16 in a road company production of Life With Father and graduated from Dartmouth (where his fellow schoolmate was future Five Easy Pieces director Bob Rafelson) in 1952.

He served two years in the Army in Germany, first as a helicopter mechanic and then, more aptly, in special services, co-writing a musical comedy and touring military bases with it.

Back in New York, Henry kept busy by masquerading as G. Clifford Prout, the president of The Society for Indecency to Naked Animals, a faux organization out to convince America to clothe their pets and barnyard animals. The whole thing was an elaborate joke — and he was amazed that thousands of people bought into it.

“[SINA was invented] for a host of reasons, most of them having to do with indecency and immorality,” Henry explained with a straight face during a 2009 interview for the Archive of American Television.

“Practical reasons, too: The high incidents of young people who became traumatized by their contact with naked animals and grew up twisted. And the high incidents of automobile accidents on the road near farms and ranches where people got glimpses of naked animals and swerved into trees. And we had charts proving this stuff.”

He tried to close down the San Francisco Zoo, that “burlesque house of the animal world,” and got front-page coverage in the Examiner newspaper. Henry even appeared as Prout on the Today show and in a segment taped in Los Angeles for the CBS Evening News With Walter Cronkite.

The hoax unraveled when CBS employees recognized him, and he said that Cronkite never forgave him.

In 1962, Henry joined The Premise, an off-Broadway improvisational group whose members included George Segal and Theodore J. Flicker (who went on to create ABC’s Barney Miller). He did a stint as a stand-up comic, but that didn’t last long. “I never liked working in places where people drank and yelled at me,” he said.

Henry landed jobs writing for variety shows led by Steve Allen and Garry Moore, and when David Frost refashioned his British TV news satire That Was The Week That Was for American audiences, he appeared on the program and wrote for it as well.

After Henry co-wrote and starred in The Troublemaker (1964), which featured several members of The Premise, Dan Melnick, a partner in the production company Talent Associates, approached Brooks and Henry about his idea for the comedy that would become Get Smart.

“I’m going to tell you what I told Mel in a previous meeting,” Melnick told Henry. “What are the two big deals in show business right now? Inspector Clouseau and James Bond. Get the point?”

Brooks and Henry’s pilot was turned down by ABC, but NBC, looking for a series for comic Don Adams, jumped on it. With Adams playing bumbling CONTROL Agent 86, Get Smart ran for five seasons. (Henry left the show after the first two.)

Henry, who won an Emmy (shared with Leonard Stern) in 1967 for writing the two-part episode “Ship of Spies,” came up with the cone of silence shtick for the sitcom. (Brooks invented the shoe phone.)

Henry and director Peter Bogdanovich found inspiration from the great screwball comedies of yesteryear in making What’s Up, Doc? (1972), which starred Barbra Streisand and Ryan O’Neal in a story spinning around four identical plaid overnight bags. (Henry took the original script by Bogdanovich, Robert Benton and David Newman and retooled it, adding a fourth suitcase.)

What’s Up, Doc? grossed $66 million ($374 million in today’s dollars) in the U.S. and Canada, trailing only The Godfather and The Poseidon Adventure that year.

Henry adapted Joyce Maynard’s 1992 book, which was based on an actual New England murder case, for the Gus Van Sant black comedy To Die For (1995), with Nicole Kidman as an icy TV weathergirl who’ll stop at nothing to get ahead.

Henry also wrote for the Nichols films Catch-22 (1970), adapted from the Joseph Heller novel, and the drama The Day of the Dolphin (1973); Candy (1968), adapted from the Terry Southern book; The Owl and the Pussycat (1970), with Streisand and his pal Segal; First Family (1980), starring Bob Newhart as the president, Madeline Kahn as the first lady and Gilda Radner as their daughter (he directed that one as well); Protocol (1984), topped by Goldie Hawn; and Town & Country (2001), starring Beatty.

For TV, Henry also created the 1967 NBC comedy Captain Nice, centered on a mild-mannered guy (William Daniels) who becomes a superhero, and the late ’70s NBC sci-fi spoof Quark, which starred Richard Benjamin. Both series were short-lived.

As an actor, Henry was memorable in Milos Forman’s Taking Off (1971) as a father seeking the whereabouts of his runaway daughter; in Catch-22 as Lt. Col. Korn; and in Nicolas Roeg’s The Man Who Fell to Earth (1976) as David Bowie’s business partner.

In Robert Altman’s The Player (1992), Henry pitched an absurd Graduate: Part II to the studio exec played by Tim Robbins (it was Henry, not the director, who came up with the idea of what the pitch would entail) during the movie’s landmark eight-minute opening sequence.

“When the film was over [after an industry screening], I walked into the lobby, and a guy comes up to me and says, ‘Hi, I’m so and so, I’m at Universal,’” Henry recalled in a 1996 interview with the Museum of the Moving Image. “ ‘It was very funny, but listen: Just between you and me, don’t you think there’s a shot that we take as a sequel to The Graduate?’ ”

Later, he was Tina Fey’s dad on 30 Rock and made it to the altar with Betty White on Hot in Cleveland.

In the early years of Saturday Night Live, Henry was about as close to being a Not Ready for Primetime Player as one could get. He was creepily funny as Uncle Roy, a dirty old man babysitting tots Radner and Laraine Newman, and he regularly appeared in skits opposite samurai John Belushi, who worked in a deli or as a TV repairman, optometrist, etc.

In the taping for a “Samurai Stockbroker” sketch in 1976, Belushi swung his sword and accidentally took a chunk out of Henry’s forehead. Henry recoiled, then smashed through a wall (that part of the sketch was planned), suffering cuts to his leg as well.

Belushi’s doctor, who was on the scene, patched Henry up during the next commercial break. Chevy Chase had the idea to do “Weekend Update” with a bandage on his head, and by the end of the show, everyone in the cast was sporting bandages as well.

“It was very good,” Henry said.

Duane Byrge contributed to this report.

[From pop-culture blogger Mark Evanier]

https://www.newsfromme.com/2020/01/08/buck-henry-r-i-p/

Buck Henry, R.I.P.

Published Wednesday, January 8, 2020 at 11:38 PM

Very funny, very clever man, that Buck Henry. He was a screenwriter (The Graduate, Heaven Can Wait, Catch-22 and many others). He was a TV writer-creator (Get Smart, Captain Nice, Quark and others). He was a movie star. He was a wonderful talk show guest.

He was an important guest host during the first five years of Saturday Night Live…practically a member of the cast. One of the few times I got to speak at length with him was at a party one night at Leonard Maltin's house. There was another guest there who kept trying to get Buck to say that he was pissed because SNL seemed to have largely forgotten him once they could secure major motion picture stars to host. If Mr. Henry felt that way — and I don't know that he did or he didn't — he was not about to say it despite much hectoring from this other guest. I thought he was as good on that show as anyone who was ever good on that show.

He was also involved in something I vaguely remember from Jack Paar's prime-time show, the one he did after he left The Tonight Show. I'll let Wikipedia tell you about this aspect of Buck Henry's career…

From 1959 to 1962, as part of an elaborate hoax by comedian Alan Abel, [Henry] made public appearances as G. Clifford Prout, the quietly outraged president of the Society for Indecency to Naked Animals, who presented his point of view on talk shows. The character of Prout, who wished to clothe all animals in order to prevent their "indecency," was often presented as an eccentric but was otherwise taken seriously by the broadcasters who interviewed him. "Prout" received many letters of support from TV viewers, and even some unsolicited monetary donations, all of which were invariably returned, as neither Henry nor Abel (who had no intention of following through on the Society's stated aims) wanted to be accused of raising money fraudulently.

And am I the only one who remembers that once or twice in his later years, not long before he became seriously ill, Henry appeared on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart? He was a correspondent dealing with issues that affected older folks.

That party at Leonard's was one of the few times I got to speak with the man. The others were all on Writers Guild picket lines where, when he wasn't speaking with admirers like me, he carried a picket sign in one hand while holding (and reading) an open book in the other. He was just as humorous and clever in person as he was when he was on with Johnny Carson or anyone like that.

I seem to recall one appearance when Johnny asked — and this was apparently not a question Buck knew was coming — how he wanted to die. Buck thought a moment then said, approximately, "I was to be unbelievably old. I want to be withered beyond belief. I want people to be saying, 'I thought he died years ago.' and to be amazed I'd lasted to that age." It was very, very funny.

I'm sorry he didn't get to go that way. But at least, he was always very, very funny.
l***@yahoo.com
2020-01-09 23:45:58 UTC
I used to get him confused with Henry Gibson.

Movies that I SAW him in:

The Graduate
Catch-22
The Owl and the Pussycat
Taking Off
The Man Who Fell to Earth
Heaven Can Wait
Eating Raoul

2020-01-10 00:35:52 UTC
Post by l***@yahoo.com
I used to get him confused with Henry Gibson.
The Graduate
Catch-22
The Owl and the Pussycat
Taking Off
The Man Who Fell to Earth
Heaven Can Wait
Eating Raoul
Running down his "Actor" listings from IMDb (the page will automatically
open to "Writer" instead), and omitting TV appearances (like "Hot in
Cleveland"), I can claim all of the above, plus:

To Die For
Grumpy Old Men
Short Cuts (very much recommended)
The Linguini Incident
Aria
First Family
The Day of the Dolphin
Is There Sex After Death?
Candy

And I *think* "Old Boyfriends", but from the synopsis I may be mixing
that up with another movie....r