Crash With Patrol Car Kills Three Florida Teens
h***@yahoo.com
2012-06-19 08:09:05 UTC
http://www.click10.com/sh/news/florida/stories/news-florida-138642520020408-
090435.html
Fourth Teen, Gilchrist Deputy Injured In Accident
BELL, Fla. -- A Gilchrist County sheriff's deputy on an emergency call
collided with a pickup early Sunday, killing three teenagers, critically
injuring another and leaving the officer in serious condition.
Christopher Sutton, 17, Jacob Dell Edwards, 18, both of High Springs, and
Julee Marie Guerra, 15, of Bell, died in the crash.
"They were all good kids. We don't have any bad kids," Annette Bagby, a
guidance clerk at Bell High School, said Monday. "The deputy graduated from
here too. It's horrible."
Brittany Ann Walchle, 16, of Bell, was in serious condition Monday at Shands
at the University of Florida in Gainesville.
Deputy Darrell J. Rhoten, 22, of Trenton, was listed in fair condition at
Shands at Jacksonville on Monday.
Rhoten was on an emergency call with his lights flashing when the four
teens, in a 1997 Isuzu pickup, crossed his path in a highway intersection
two miles north of Bell in rural northern Florida, according to Florida
Highway Patrol reports.
Troopers were not able to determine immediately who had been driving the
truck.
Florida Highway Patrol Sgt. Billy Godwin, who investigated the accident,
said in his report that it was not known if alcohol was involved.
No one in either vehicle was wearing a seat belt, according to the reports.
The deputy and three of the teens were ejected from their vehicles as they
overturned. A teen who was trapped in the pickup was pronounced dead at the
scene.
"This was a very tragic incident in the history of the county for all those
concerned," Gilchrist County Sheriff David Turner told The Gainesville Sun.
Students and family members gathered at the accident scene Sunday, many
crying and shaken.
Guidance counselors were available for mourning students at Bell High
School, which has 396 students, Monday morning.
"There's no way you can be prepared for something like this," principal
Buddy Schofield said Sunday. "What we are going to try to do ... is to make
a terrible situation bearable for our students and our staff."
No, He did not have his emergency lights on and he was responding to a non-emergency call. He was also traveling in excess of 100 mph.. It was all swept under the rug and the dead kids bore the blame for the incident. Parent were not allowed to hang memorials at the site as this would only draw more attention from the locals that knew these families creating bad P.R.. FACT!
Mrs Irish Mike
2012-06-19 16:18:09 UTC
Post by h***@yahoo.com
[...]
I live on a road the police use to respond to calls. I hear the fuel
injectors screaming as they accelerate to top speed. I'm pretty sure
they reach speeds of 80 mph on a road with a 30mph speed limit, and
intersections every 1/20th of a mile. The road is 2 miles long, and at
30 mph it takes 4 minutes to travel. If the speeding cop is able to
average 60 mph, through a residential area, he saves 2 minutes. If he
would average 45 mph he would save 1 minute (or lose 1 minute
depending how one looks at it), but reduce the risk of accident by a
great factor.

So this all begs the question; How much difference does it make for a
cop to show up to a scene one minute earlier or later? Especially when
the cop is not the first cop to arrive at the scene.

I drove an ambulance in California after the government adressed this
problem. Emergency vehicles (cops too) may travel only 15 mph above
the posted speed limit, and they must come to a stop at red lights and
stop signs.

All those young productive lives snuffed out, what a waste.
s***@gmail.com
2018-07-12 23:19:32 UTC
Killed a child in this accident