John "Pirate John" Gilmer, past a.o. participant
J.D. Baldwin
2021-09-15 12:45:33 UTC
I have no details on this except that he was 64 or 65.
amelia rosner
2021-09-15 14:47:26 UTC
How many other words did you consider before you got to "participant?"
J.D. Baldwin
2021-09-15 18:14:58 UTC
Post by amelia rosner
How many other words did you consider before you got to "participant?"
Where the hell is the "laugh react" button on this thing?
2021-09-15 21:48:01 UTC
Assuming this happened recently, he was 65.
radioacti...@gmail.com
2021-09-16 04:57:28 UTC
It's clearly none of my business--inasmuch as I don't believe this "Pirate John" fellow ever responded to any alt.obits posting I ever made--but why oh why was the (apparently-)late John Gilmer someone who evokes such strong reactions?

And how does anyone know for sure his surname was Gilmer, given how annoyingly-anonymous everyone likes to remain online?

And how does anyone know he lived somewhere here in Florida? (I ask this, as I seem to be one of the VERY few posters ANYWHERE in cyberspace who is willing to--only out of mere CONSIDERATION for any reader who takes the trouble to absorb my admittedly-dense sentences!--willing to identify from where I post. (Nearly all of the REST of the online world seems to paranoidly guard their locales like a state secret, apparently unwilling to stand behind their globally-published words.)

Again, I've got no axe* to grind here, as he was just another of the hoards of posters who engage in brief, contentious exchanges with other anonymous posters who seem to know what his apparently extensive online history was.

But to ME, all that back and forth for years--often not TO or FROM Mr. Pirate John, but rather merely ABOUT Pirate John by two or more third-parties who had had some online experience with him way back when (and which NOBODY ever seems to detail, for whatever reason).

Despite over two decades of trying in utter vain to understand what all of those incoherent online exchanges are referring to when (1) there's no only no context-clarifying rehashing for the readers' understanding of what was PREVIOUSLY posted, but also (2) then in reply there is some cryptic one-liner that I SUPPOSE makes sense to at least the poster it's directed at but which leaves onlooker types like me TOTALLY PERPLEXED, not only to whatever point was being expressed, but as to the very subject the two posters involved are discussing!

And I seem to be the ONLY cyber-unhip person in these parts who is (CONSTANTLY) annoyed by ANY of this...else wouldn't there be loads of kindly-clarify postings herein to the effect, "Hey, [Mr./Ms. Meaningless-Internet-Alias], what are you two posters discussing there?"

(Yeah, yeah, I realize it is NONE OF MY BUSINESS as it's between two OTHER alias-using posters...but as a longtime professional writer, I understand better than most the profound difference between mere WRITING and PUBLISHING...and EVERYTHING on the Internet is "published", and thus SHOULD be conceptually-accessible to any English-understanding reader, no?)

Now this kind of total confusion happens FREQUENTLY herein--and I'm guessing even more so in other newsgroups, though many years ago I gave up trying to read any other newsgroups, so apparently decipherable they all thusly tend to be, to me at least.

So bottom line, I have NO IDEA how y'all even KNOW enough about this apparently dastardly guy "Pirate John" to even have an opinion about him[. to me, mostly-impossible-to-recall internet aliases just all blend into together in my already-cluttered mind, where I never remember if some "Pirate John" posting I read somewhere was actually by a Pirate Jean or John the Pirate or even Buccaneer Joe!

Yet LOTS of you nice folk have seemed to have been significantly tweaked by this guy for presumably quite divergent reasons, and I'm just curious as to WHY?

Any help clarifying ANY or this, Anyone?

* Or "ask" to grind, for those intellectually-lazy types who insist on confuses the two words.
David Carson
2021-09-16 13:36:11 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
And how does anyone know for sure his surname was Gilmer, given how annoyingly-anonymous everyone likes to remain online?
And how does anyone know he lived somewhere here in Florida?
John Wesley Gilmer
P.O. Box 51261
Jacksonville Beach, Florida 32240

White male, 6'0"
Born 3/1/1956

There's more I'm not telling you, and I'm not telling you how I know. But
I can do you next if you want.

David Carson
J.D. Baldwin
2021-09-16 14:17:19 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
And how does anyone know for sure his surname was Gilmer, given how
annoyingly-anonymous everyone likes to remain online?
And how does anyone know he lived somewhere here in Florida?
Like David, I'm not identifying sources and methods, but public
records bear out the existence of a person by that name who matched
his general description and was consistent with what he said and
posted online, including his later life and employment in Texas.
These records included a judgment against him in Florida; when one of
our a.o regulars posted the details, he (not very credibly) denied
knowing about the judgment, though he acknowledged he'd been a debtor
of that particular creditor in the past.

In short, the available facts justify very high confidence that the
broad strokes of his identity were true and correct. If it was some
kind of fake identity, it was a carefully constructed one.
Tommie Hicks
2021-09-16 20:52:55 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
And how does anyone know for sure his surname was Gilmer, given how
annoyingly-anonymous everyone likes to remain online?
Hoodoo's real name was revealed to be Bill Cmelak:

http://www.tributes.com/show/William-A.-Cmelak-89323446#obituary

I had never seen before or since a more concentrated feud between two people in my life. It was a real eye opener in the early days of the internet on how cruel people could be on a keyboard. The bravery of being out of range.

Nonetheless, RIP Mr. Gilmer.
Robert Feigel
2021-09-17 03:35:50 UTC
Post by J.D. Baldwin
I have no details on this except that he was 64 or 65.
When I migrated to Facebook I was surprised to receive a friend
request from John. I didn't know what to expect, particularly
considering my conservative political views. I was surprised that his
comments were always considered and respectful. After I started
posting about the results of a DNA test and the revelation that my
biological father had been born and was buried on the Bluejacket
Reservation in Craig Country, OK, John was very supportive and happy
for me. He also sent links to his website which gave me a new
perspective on him and his life. John appeared to have mellowed after
USNET and the news of his death at such a comparatively young age
saddens me.