Woodstock 50 Is Dead, Dead, Dead
2019-07-31 19:49:10 UTC
Woodstock 50 Officially Canceled
7/31/2019 by Dave Brooks

It's over folks.

Woodstock 50 is officially canceled, with organizers Wednesday (July
31) announcing they would no longer attempt to stage the event at
Merriweather Post Pavilion in Columbia, Md.

"We are saddened that a series of unforeseen setbacks has made it
impossible to put on the Festival we imagined with the great line-up we
had booked and the social engagement we were anticipating," said
Michael Lang, co-founder of Woodstock, in a statement. "When we lost
the Glen and then Vernon Downs we looked for a way to do some good
rather than just cancel. We formed a collaboration with HeadCount to do
a smaller event at the Merriweather Pavilion to raise funds for them to
get out the vote and for certain NGOs involved in fighting climate
change.

"We released all the talent so any involvement on their part would be
voluntary," Lang continued. "Due to conflicting radius issues in the DC
area many acts were unable to participate and others passed for their
own reasons. I would like to encourage artists and agents, who all have
been fully paid, to donate 10% of their fees to HeadCount or causes of
their choice in the spirit of peace. Woodstock remains committed to
social change and will continue to be active in support of HeadCount's
critical mission to get out the vote before the next election. We thank
the artists, fans and partners who stood by us even in the face of
adversity. My thoughts turn to Bethel and its celebration of our 50th
Anniversary to reinforce the values of compassion, human dignity and
the beauty of our differences embraced by Woodstock."

Greg Peck, an investor in Woodstock 50, issued a statement reading,
"The unfortunate dispute with our financial partner and the resulting
legal proceedings set us off course at a critical juncture, throwing a
wrench in our plans and forcing us to find an alternate venue to
Watkins Glen. The timing meant we had few choices where our artists
would be able to perform. We worked hard to find a way to produce a
proper tribute -- and some great artists came aboard over the last week
to support Woodstock 50 -- but time simply ran short.

"We are greatly disappointed and thank all of our supporters, including
the team at Merriweather Post Pavilion and Howard County Executive
Calvin Ball," Lang continued. "Woodstock's values of peace and
tolerance are more important today than ever for all of us to stand for
and we look to the future for ways to honor and celebrate these
ideals."

Merriweather Post Pavilion, in Columbia, Maryland, had agreed to host
Woodstock 50 if organizers could book acts to play, possibly as a free
benefit concert to raise awareness and funding for get-out-the-vote
non-profit HeadCount and organizations that combat global warming.

"While we were able to quickly eliminate the venue portion of the
challenge to present Woodstock, it was just too late in the game," Seth
Hurwitz, chairman of I.M.P., and operator of Merriweather Post
Pavilion, said in a statement. "Hopefully, with plenty of time to
prepare, Merriweather will become the site of a future festival that
captures the original vibe. A lot of people clearly wanted it to
happen."

Howard County Executive Ball added, "I share in the disappointment of
everyone who hoped to celebrate the anniversary of 'Peace & Music' with
a festival this summer. While Woodstock 50 will not be coming to Howard
County, we continue to offer tremendous cultural events at Merriweather
Post Pavilion and beyond."

https://www.billboard.com/articles/business/touring/8525621/woodstock-50-
canceled
Poisoned Rose
2019-07-31 21:06:49 UTC
Rock festivals are so ridiculously routine today...this is just the
death of a brand name.
RH Draney
2019-07-31 21:59:48 UTC
Billion year old carbon doesn't live forever....r
Louis Epstein
2019-08-01 02:33:26 UTC
Post by Poisoned Rose
Rock festivals are so ridiculously routine today...this is just the
death of a brand name.
The fact that they're talking about having a Maryland event in the future that
they see as a successor to "Woodstock 50" shows that it's the brand name
that is being propped up...people who really wanted a "Woodstock festival"
in more than name would be looking to see how close to Woodstock they could
hold one with Bethel being the maximum permitted distance.

super70s
2019-08-01 04:56:04 UTC
Post by Louis Epstein
The fact that they're talking about having a Maryland event in the future
that they see as a successor to "Woodstock 50" shows that it's the brand
name that is being propped up...people who really wanted a "Woodstock
festival" in more than name would be looking to see how close to Woodstock
they could hold one with Bethel being the maximum permitted distance.
The smaller competing Woodstock anniversary concert in Bethel is still
on, it never had the drama of "Woodstock 50." John Fogerty, Ringo Starr
and Santana are the headliners.
Meteorite Debris
2019-08-03 21:56:47 UTC
On Wed, 31 Jul 2019 14:06:49 -0700 that great scribe Poisoned Rose
Post by Poisoned Rose
Rock festivals are so ridiculously routine today...this is just the
death of a brand name.
Woodstock represents a peroid of freedom free love and free speech. Very
unpopular today. Hysteria #MeToo and witch hunting is the nourishment of
choice today.
m***@gmail.com
2019-08-01 04:11:00 UTC
Post by A Friend
Woodstock 50 Officially Canceled
7/31/2019 by Dave Brooks
It's over folks.
Woodstock 50 is officially canceled, with organizers Wednesday (July
31) announcing they would no longer attempt to stage the event at
Merriweather Post Pavilion in Columbia, Md.
Bethel Woods is a very good venue for a concert.

And the Woodstock Museum nearby has a great history of the original concert and about the Sixties in general.
That Derek
2019-08-04 03:23:05 UTC
Didn't Abbie Hoffman or one of those guys once sum up the 1960s as:

"The love will never be as free; the drugs will never be as cheap; and the music will never be as good."?
m***@gmail.com
2019-08-05 02:27:39 UTC
"The love will never be as free; the drugs will never be as cheap; and the music will never be as good."?
He said,

"The 60s are gone, dope will never be as cheap, sex never as free, and the rock and roll never as great."

IMO, his best quote came in 1988 when he was speaking out about CIA recruitment on college campuses and he summed up the Sixties this way,

"We were young, we were arrogant, we were irreverent, we were foolish. But we were right. I regret nothing."

Marc

https://www.amazon.com/Until-Birds-Chirp-Reflections-Sixties/dp/1532939035