Barbara Ann Alston, 74, lead singer, girl group The Crystals -- she's at the end of her "da-doo-run-run"
2018-02-24 22:46:31 UTC
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article201611459.html

Local

The lead singer of influential ‘60s girl group lived in Charlotte. She just died of the flu.

By Mark Price
***@charlotteobserver.com

February 22, 2018 04:05 PM

Updated February 23, 2018 02:32 PM

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article201611459.html#storylink=cpy

The name Barbara Ann Alston may not ring a bell for younger generations, but she was among the most influential singers in rock and roll music in the ‘60s, according to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.

Alston – who died Feb. 16 in Charlotte at age 74 – was the lead singer for Phil Spector’s girl group The Crystals, which had a string of hits including “Da Doo Ron Ron” and “Then He Kissed Me.”

Her death comes as part of the nation’s ongoing flu epidemic, family members said. Alston had been in intensive care at a Charlotte hospital for more than two weeks when she became one of 200 North Carolinians to die from the flu this season.
MJ Emigh
2018-02-25 00:42:19 UTC
She was a very sweet person. I'm not sure if she was ever "lead singer," though. The version of the Crystals I worked a few shows with many years ago featured LaLa as the lead with Barbara and another gal as back-up. I can't recall what it was, but there was a song they performed where all three had solos, but that was a bit unusual. In any case, she was a real sweetheart.
Diner
2018-02-26 00:08:24 UTC
Post by MJ Emigh
Post by That Derek
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article201611459.html
The lead singer of influential ‘60s girl group lived in Charlotte.
She was a very sweet person. I'm not sure if she was ever "lead singer," though. The version of the Crystals I worked a few shows with many years ago featured LaLa as the lead with Barbara and another gal as back-up. I can't recall what it was, but there was a song they performed where all three had solos, but that was a bit unusual. In any case, she was a real sweetheart.
Per Rolling Stone:

Alston sang lead vocals on the Crystals' "There's No Other (Like My Baby)," the first single released on producer Phil Spector's Philles Records in 1961; Spector had discovered the vocal group while recording demos for Hill & Range Publishers. Spector also served as producer on the Alston-led Crystals songs "Uptown" and the controversial 1962 single "He Hit Me (And It Felt Like a Kiss)," written by Carole King and Gerry Goffin.

Following the release of "He Hit Me," which failed to reach the Hot 100, Spector took hold of the Crystals moniker (without the Crystals' knowledge) and applied the name to recordings by Darlene Love and the Blossoms; Love sang lead on the "Crystals" classics "He's a Rebel," one of Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Songs of All Time.

The original Crystals reassumed their own name in 1963 and released two more Spector-produced hits, "Da Doo Ron Ron" and "Then He Kissed Me." However, for those singles and subsequent recordings from the era, the publicity-shy Alston had relinquished the lead-singing role to Dolores "LaLa" Brooks.

"I just found out recently [that] she had a real problem with being the lead," [Alston's daughter Donielle] Prophete told the BBC of her mother. "They loved her voice and they kept pushing her to the front but she was shy."

Alston left the Crystals in 1965 but briefly rejoined the girl group for a 1967 reunion.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/the-crystals-singer-barbara-ann-alston-dead-at-74-w517091
MJ Emigh
2018-02-26 04:16:13 UTC
Wow; that was VERY interesting. Thanks for posting it!