Bill Mills, Philadelphia Athletics, 99
2019-08-22 23:42:56 UTC
https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/providence/obituary.aspx?n=william-h-mills&pid=193658540

Mills, Jr., William H.

William H. (Bill) Mills, Jr passed away peacefully at E. T. York Hospice
in Gainesville, FL on August 9, 2019. Bill was 99 years old. He was born
on November 2, 1919 in Boston MA. He lived in Pawtucket, RI for 35 years
before moving to Port Charlotte FL in 1976.

Bill graduated from Arlington High (MA) where he played football and
basebal. He captianed both teams in his senior year. Following high school
Bill attended Coburn Classical Prep in Waterville, ME where he played
football and baseball. Bill then went on to attend the College of Holy
Cross (MA) where he played football and baseball. Following a successful
career at Holy Cross Bill played professional baseball for the
Philadelphia Athletics for Connie Mack from 1944-45. Bill also played
several seasons for the New England Baseball League (Slaters) from 1946-50
while teaching Math and coaching baseball and football at Goff Jr. High in
Pawtucket, RI.

After 30 years of teachng Bill retired with his wife Rita to Cape Cod for
the summer months and Port Charlotte FL for the winter. On approximately
2004 he continued to live full time in Port Charlotte and lived until 2017
when he moved to Gainesville FL.

He was a member of the Pawtucket Teachers Alliance, a member of the Major
League Baseball Players Association and lifetime member of the Pawtucket
Lodge of Elks (#920).

Bill was preceded in death by his parents William H. Mills Sr and Mary
(Mansfield), and his son William (Buster) Mills. Bill is survived by his
wife of 37 years Rita L. Plamondon Osfield Mills, three daughters
Christine Mills Knott (Adrian), Pamela Mills Reeves (Roger), Janice Mills
Fitton (Patrick), stepsons John Osfield, Dr. Kenneth J. Osfield (Betty)
and grandsons Mark and Scott Knott, Kyle and Ryan Reeves, Torin and Conar
Fitton, Todd Osfield, Kyle Osfield, and granddaughter Emma Osfield, and 9
great grandchildren.

A celebration of his life will be held at Saint John Paul II Parish, 750
Central Ave, Pawtucket RI at 10:00 am on August 31, 2019.
--
Dead or Alive Data Base
http://www.doadb.com
Bryan Styble
2019-08-23 08:56:17 UTC
Always a cryin' shame whenever anyone expires just shy of the 100 milestone!

2019-08-26 00:38:55 UTC
On Fri, 23 Aug 2019 01:56:17 -0700 (PDT), Bryan Styble
Post by Bryan Styble
Always a cryin' shame whenever anyone expires just shy of the 100 milestone!
BRYAN STYBLE/Florida
If I forget to metion it when it comes, Tom Jordan is poised to become the
21st major leaguer of all time to reach 100 on 5 September.
--
"Death is a part of baseball."
"Oh, yeah ... It's the main part."
- heard on The Simpsons
That Derek
2019-08-26 14:43:41 UTC
Is there any way of clocking how many Philadelphia Athletics are still off-topic?

Also, are their any MLB teams in which ALL the players have passed on? Obviously, all the current teams would be exempt from exploration and scrutiny. However, I'm referring to teams PRIOR TO A MOVE or a NAME RE-BRANDING.

I'm thinking this dynamic would apply to the (pre-Yankees) New York Highlanders, the Boston Redstockings, and all the 1910s Federal League teams. However, i'm thinking, perhaps, the Boston Braves, the St. Louis Browns, the Houston Colts, or the Washington Senators (version #1, prior to the 1962 expansion iteration).

You wants to know!
Michael OConnor
2019-08-26 15:00:45 UTC
The Houston Colt 45's were just renamed the Astros in 1965 when they moved to the Astrodome; it's not like they are a defunct franchise. They were in the NL from 1962-64, and there are a number of living Colts 45 players. Perhaps the most famous is Hall of Famer Joe Morgan (now 75 years of age), who broke into the majors with the Colts 45's in 1963. The Toy Cannon, Jimmy Wynn (still with us), also broke into the Majors with the Colts at the same time as Morgan, as did the late Rusty Staub.
Dave Garrett
2019-08-27 04:14:14 UTC
Post by Michael OConnor
Post by That Derek
I'm thinking this dynamic would apply to the (pre-Yankees) New York Highlanders, the Boston Redstockings, and all the 1910s Federal League teams. However, i'm thinking, perhaps, the Boston Braves, the St. Louis Browns, the Houston Colts, or the Washington Senators (version #1, prior to the 1962 expansion iteration).
You wants to know!
The Houston Colt 45's were just renamed the Astros in 1965 when they moved to the Astrodome; it's not like they are a defunct franchise. They were in the NL from 1962-64, and there are a number of living Colts 45 players. Perhaps the most famous is Hall of Famer Joe Morgan (now 75 years of age), who broke into the majors with the Colts 45's in 1963. The Toy Cannon, Jimmy Wynn (still with us), also broke into the Majors with the Colts at the same time as Morgan, as
did the late Rusty Staub.

Aside from those three, the ones who immediately come to mind are Larry
Dierker and Bob Aspromonte, although admittedly they may not exactly be
household names to those who aren't longtime Astros fans.

This is a couple of years old, so I'm not sure all of the listed players
are still with us:

https://bill37mccurdy.com/2017/04/20/the-surviving-members-of-the-
houston-colt-45s/

https://preview.tinyurl.com/yyd2hs53
Dave
Michael OConnor
2019-08-27 04:36:53 UTC
Post by Dave Garrett
This is a couple of years old, so I'm not sure all of the listed players
https://bill37mccurdy.com/2017/04/20/the-surviving-members-of-the-
houston-colt-45s/
https://preview.tinyurl.com/yyd2hs53
The only one of the list I am sure is on-topic is Le Grande Orange, Rusty Staub. I checked on a couple of the other names who stuck out; I didn't realize Don Larson (who just turned 90 last month, threw the perfect game in the 1956 World Series for the Yankees) was still alive, nor was Bobby Shantz (1952 AL MVP pitcher who went 24-7 for the Philadelphia Athletics), who is 93 years old.

Interesting to see John Paciorek on the list; he is memorable for only playing in one major league game, going 3-3 with 4 runs scored and three RBI's in the final game of the 1963 season, but he never appeared in another major league game. However, two of his brothers would play in the majors, one of whom was Tom Paciorek, who was a journeyman backup OF-1B-3B who played for 18 seasons in the 70's and 80's.
David Carson
2019-08-27 15:56:26 UTC
On Mon, 26 Aug 2019 21:36:53 -0700 (PDT), Michael OConnor
Post by Michael OConnor
The only one of the list I am sure is on-topic is Le Grande Orange, Rusty Staub. I checked on a couple of the other names who stuck out; I didn't realize Don Larson (who just turned 90 last month, threw the perfect game in the 1956 World Series for the Yankees) was still alive, nor was Bobby Shantz (1952 AL MVP pitcher who went 24-7 for the Philadelphia Athletics), who is 93 years old.
I think Shantz is the oldest living Colt 45. He pitched three games
for them in 1962.

David Carson
a***@gmail.com
2019-08-28 11:05:26 UTC
Is there any way of clocking how many Philadelphia Athletics are still off-topic?
Also, are their any MLB teams in which ALL the players have passed on? Obviously, all the current teams would be exempt from exploration and scrutiny. However, I'm referring to teams PRIOR TO A MOVE or a NAME RE-BRANDING.
I'm thinking this dynamic would apply to the (pre-Yankees) New York Highlanders, the Boston Redstockings, and all the 1910s Federal League teams. However, i'm thinking, perhaps, the Boston Braves, the St. Louis Browns, the Houston Colts, or the Washington Senators (version #1, prior to the 1962 expansion iteration).
You wants to know!
This link has a few "Remaining" lists:

http://dbsociety.com/dstudy/dead.html
That Derek
2019-08-28 14:27:46 UTC
http://dbsociety.com/dstudy/dead.html

These lists are so cool. Thank you for posting.