Jack T. Stokes, 94, in Jan. (Illinois playwright & director)
2018-04-19 00:49:18 UTC
www.legacy.com/obituaries/belleville/obituary.aspx?n=jack-t-stokes&pid=187807276&fhid=6341

"Dr. Jack Tilden Stokes, 94, of Belleville, IL, died Monday, January 8, 2018, at St Paul's Senior Community in Belleville with family at his side. Jack was a well-known playwright, director, actor, and teacher. A man of many talents, Jack was a unique personality and gifted wordsmith who loved to play with words and incorporated his love of rhythm, rhyme, and music into his stories, plays, and performances.

"The son of a coal miner and homemaker, Jack was born August 26, 1923, in Sullivan, IN, to Sherman Hayes Stokes and Elizabeth Jane Robbins. The oldest of three sons, Jack was raised in Sullivan and graduated from Sullivan High School in 1941.

"Drafted by the United States Army in 1943, Jack served across the globe during World War II, including North Africa (with a long stint in Casablanca); Naples, Italy; and Salzburg, Austria, the birthplace of Mozart. He was present when the famous Salzburg Festival was re-born after having been shut down during the war. While in the service, he enjoyed memorable furloughs in Paris and London, which included a visit to Hyde Park, where (Jack said) you could always find someone standing on a soap box drawing an audience for his or her ideas. 'Real democracy and freedom of speech,' he wrote in a remembrance to his family...

"...Jack is the author of numerous award-winning plays and pieces for both Readers Theater and Dramachoir. His work has been produced across the world--from St Louis to South Africa to Japan. As the founder of Southwestern Illinois College's Children's Theater Touring Company, his plays are well-known to a generation of local children and audiences. His works include Wiley and the Hairy Man, anthologized in the collection Plays Children Love; The Incredible Jungle Journey of Fenda Maria, anthologized in two collections - Contemporary Children's Theatre and Eight Plays for Youth; and Mama Medea, a one-act play which won first place honors at a national junior college contest in 1974 and is the basis of the movie Mama Medea, produced and directed by Dennis Vaughan. More recently, Jack was awarded the Illinois Theatre Association's Children's Theatre Award in 2001; and in 2011, a production of Wiley and the Hairy Man, performed by the County Seat Theater Company in Cloquet, MN, was selected to perform at the World Festival of Children's Performing Arts in Toyama, Japan, the United States' sole entry in the quadrennial, international event.

"Following his retirement, Jack continued to create and perform volunteer work. He was active as a playwright, a performer in local theatrical productions, a volunteer with Retired Senior Volunteer Program, and (with his wife) a volunteer for the local chapter of the National Alliance for the Mentally Ill.."

(snip)

From a birthday post from 2008 (I removed some mistakes; I HOPE the book titles are all by him):

Not to be confused with the animator of "The Water Babies" and "The
Princess & the Goblin."

Stokes: "I am sure that I sometimes write to conceal what I think I am and to
project what I want others to think I am. Always I write to find out
what I am--to discover what it is like in that hairy jungle that I
peep into only when I am dreaming. I write to give voice to the person
or persons imprisoned in me that no one--including me--glimpses in my
other public acts. I write to publish--and, as a playwright, I am
happy to say, I am published every time a play of mine is enacted
before an audience large or small."

WRITINGS BY THE AUTHOR:

Wiley and the Hairy Man (juvenile), Macrae, 1970.
"The Hairy Man had gotten Pappy and he was going to get Wiley unless
the boy could fool him three times."

(Contributor) Betty Jean Lifton, editor, Contemporary Children's
Theatre, Avon, 1974.

(Illustrator) Lassor A. Blumenthal, The Hand Book: All Kinds of Jokes,
Tricks, and Games to Do with Your Hands, Doubleday (Garden City, NY),
1976.

(And illustrator) Mind Your A's and Q's: Useless Questions to Dumb
Answers, Doubleday (Garden City, NY), 1977.

(And illustrator) Looney Limericks: From Alabama to Wyoming, Doubleday
(Garden City, NY), 1978.

(And illustrator) 107 3/4 Elephant Jokes, Doubleday (Garden City, NY),
1979.

(Illustrator) Daniel Cohen, Everything You Need to Know about Monsters
and Still Be Able to Get to Sleep, Doubleday (Garden City, NY), 1981.

(And illustrator) Monster Madness: Outrageous Jokes about Some Weird
Folks, Doubleday (Garden City, NY), 1981.

"Has written ten full-length plays, several children's plays and
numerous drama choir pieces."

(Including (?) "The Incredible Jungle Journey of Fenda Maria" and
"Stackalee and Mama Medea: Eight Plays For Stage And Readers
Theatre.")

2018-04-20 01:23:44 UTC
On "Wiley and the Hairy Man":

Terrible, terrible the Hairy Man oath -
If ah don't do what ah promise to,
Let crows peck mah toes.
Let a bear eat mah hair.
Let flies sting my eyes.
Let the sun cook me done.
Also, let me get the biggest tooth ache ever!

Now there's just one thing:
The Hairy Man oath don't mean a thing.
All it does is cloud up the sky
And Kill the grass.
Cause everybody know that the Hairy Man always....

About the play:

"...Like Aesop's fables, Wiley and the Hairy Man is drawn from native folk wisdom. 'Outwit the Hairy Man three times and he won't scare you ever again,' says Mammy. Trembling, Wiley sets out for the woods, prepared to confront the Hairy Man; he looks fear in the face and outwits it..."

A bit more:

https://www.caryacademy.org/uploaded/faculty/michael_hayes/Wiley_and_the_Hairy_Man.pdf

About "Tailypo":

http://www.marilynkinsella.org/Fabulous%20Folktales/Taleypo_tells_Tailypo.htm

http://www.marilynkinsella.org/Drama%20Choirs/Drama%20Choir,%20Readers%20Theatre%20and%20Dr%20Jack%20Stokes.htm
(more on Stokes, from the same student)

Lenona.

P.S. It's possible Stokes wasn't an illustrator - at any rate, there was one other Jack Stokes besides the late UK animator. So that makes three.