WYFF TV reporter and cameraman killed when tree fell on SUV
2018-05-29 03:30:58 UTC
http://www.wyff4.com/article/wyff-news-4-anchor-photojournalist-tragically-killed-when-tree-falls-on-suv/20945002

WYFF News 4 anchor and photographer killed when tree falls on SUV in Polk County

WYFF 4 Updated: 8:08 PM EDT May 28, 2018

POLK COUNTY, N.C. —
WYFF News 4 anchor Mike McCormick and WYFF News 4 photojournalist Aaron Smeltzer died Monday when a tree fell on their SUV.

The accident happened on Highway 176 in Polk County while they were covering the impact of heavy rain in that area.

Tryon Fire Chief Geoffrey Tennant said the engine of the SUV was running and the transmission was in drive when authorities arrived at the scene about 2:30 p.m.

He said the tree that fell on the SUV was about 3 feet in diameter and had stood back off the road.

Tennant said the ground was saturated and the tree's root system failed.

"I have never seen an event like this one," Tennant, who has been in fire service in Polk County for 44 years, said.

Tennant said he had just spoken with Mike and Aaron before the accident.

"It personally affected me a little bit because I had done an interview with Mr. McCormick about 10 minutes before we got the call. And we had talked a little bit about how he wanted us to stay safe and I wanted him to stay safe and of course 10 or 15 minutes later we got the call and it was him and his photographer," Tennant said. "It's the first time I ever met either one of those two gentleman, but you feel a sense of responsibility to them."

Mike joined WYFF News 4 in April 2007 as a reporter in the Spartanburg newsroom. In 2014, he was also named anchor of WYFF News 4 on Sundays at 6 p.m. and 11 p.m.

Mike came to the Upstate from Arkansas, where he was a reporter and fill-in anchor at one of WYFF 4's sister stations, KHBS/KHOG, for nearly three years.

Mike graduated from the University of Miami with a degree in broadcast journalism and theater arts. He had two dogs, both adopted from the Spartanburg Humane Society. When he was not reporting or anchoring the news, you would find him in the kitchen. He loved using local, fresh ingredients from the Hub City Farmers’ Market.

Aaron was the photographer in the Spartanburg bureau. He joined the WYFF News 4 family in February of this year.

Aaron shot news for more than a decade in our region. He was originally from Tazewell, Virginia, and graduated from Radford University with a degree in broadcast video communications. He was an avid baseball fan.

Aaron loved traditional country music- including Keith Whitley, Randy Travis and Alabama, just to name a few.

All of us at WYFF News 4 are grieving. We are a family and we thank you, our extended family, for your comfort as we mourn and as we seek to comfort the families of Mike and Aaron.
Kenny McCormack
2018-05-29 11:49:46 UTC
Post by Michael OConnor
http://www.wyff4.com/article/wyff-news-4-anchor-photojournalist-tragically-killed-when-tree-falls-on-suv/20945002
WYFF News 4 anchor and photographer killed when tree falls on SUV in Polk County
WYFF 4 Updated: 8:08 PM EDT May 28, 2018
Rest of article and no information about where this "WYFF" is.
Without that info, the article is meaningless.

Wikipedis sez:

* WYFF, virtual channel 4 (UHF digital channel 36), is an NBC-affiliated
* television station licensed to Greenville, South Carolina, United States,
* serving Upstate South Carolina and Western North Carolina. The station is
* owned by the Hearst Television subsidiary of Hearst Communications. WYFF's
* studios are located on Rutherford Street (west of Route 276) in northwest
* Greenville, and its transmitter is located near Caesars Head State Park in
* northwestern Greenville County.
http://user.xmission.com/~gazelle/Sigs/TedCruz
e***@aol.com
Not sure that not knowing where WYFF is located renders the article meaningless. What's of interest is where the incident took place, which is specified in the article as "News 4 anchor and photographer killed when tree falls on SUV in Polk County" AND two lines down specifies it as "POLK COUNTY, N.C."
David Carson
2018-05-30 05:21:00 UTC
Post by e***@aol.com
Post by Kenny McCormack
Post by Michael OConnor
http://www.wyff4.com/article/wyff-news-4-anchor-photojournalist-tragically-killed-when-tree-falls-on-suv/20945002
WYFF News 4 anchor and photographer killed when tree falls on SUV in Polk County
WYFF 4 Updated: 8:08 PM EDT May 28, 2018
Rest of article and no information about where this "WYFF" is.
Without that info, the article is meaningless.
Not sure that not knowing where WYFF is located renders the article meaningless. What's of interest is where the incident took place, which is specified in the article as "News 4 anchor and photographer killed when tree falls on SUV in Polk County" AND two lines down specifies it as "POLK COUNTY, N.C."
The article also says that the reporter and photographer worked for WYFF
out of their Spartanburg office, which ought to be all anyone needs to
know about "where this WYFF is." When Kenny McCormack reads a story about
something happening to a man from Denver on a United Airlines jet at the
Houston terminal on a flight bound for Los Angeles, does he consider the
article "meaningless" if it doesn't state that United's main office is in
Chicago?

And besides, where would the main office of a news station that has a
Spartanburg office be *except* Greenville? Albequerque?
W.C. Green
2018-05-30 11:10:46 UTC
Post by David Carson
The article also says that the reporter and photographer worked for WYFF
out of their Spartanburg office, which ought to be all anyone needs to
know about "where this WYFF is." When Kenny McCormack reads a story about
something happening to a man from Denver on a United Airlines jet at the
Houston terminal on a flight bound for Los Angeles, does he consider the
article "meaningless" if it doesn't state that United's main office is in
Chicago?
And besides, where would the main office of a news station that has a
Spartanburg office be *except* Greenville? Albequerque?
Nowadays, one can't assume people know where South Carolina is, let
alone Spartanburg.

Tim J.
2018-05-30 01:47:15 UTC
On Mon, 28 May 2018 20:30:58 -0700 (PDT), Michael OConnor
Post by Michael OConnor
The accident happened on Highway 176 in Polk County
I hate that damn road. I had a friend who was killed on that road
near there as he and his wife were hit head on - by an ambulance
driving on the wrong side of the road heading to a medical call.

He never had a chance.