CONIRMED: Jack Sheldon, 88, jazz trumpter/bandleader (MGriffin); 1960s sitcom actor; Sch'house Rock singer (Conjunction Jct)
2019-12-31 19:38:29 UTC
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/jack-sheldon-dead-trumpeter-merv-griffin-sidekick-was-88-1265379

MUSIC

Jack Sheldon, Famed Trumpeter and Merv Griffin Sidekick, Dies at 88

10:56 AM PST 12/31/2019
by Mike Barnes

He also voiced singing characters on 'Schoolhouse Rock!' and was an actor on the 1960's comedy 'Run, Buddy Run.'

Jack Sheldon, the extraordinary West Coast jazz trumpeter and singer who played "The Shadow of Your Smile" for the big screen, served as Merv Griffin's sidekick and voiced characters on Schoolhouse Rock!, died Friday, his longtime manager, Dianne Jimenez, reported. He was 88.

Sheldon performed the haunting "The Shadow of Your Smile" on the Elizabeth Taylor-Richard Burton drama The Sandpiper (1965), and the tune, written by Johnny Mandel and Paul Francis Webster, won the Grammy Award for song of the year and the Academy Award for best original song.

He also played one of the many versions of "The Long Goodbye" on Robert Altman's 1973 classic that starred Elliott Gould as Philip Marlowe and was heard and/or seen in other films including Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961), Save the Tiger (1973), The Killing of a Chinese Bookie (1976), Mommie Dearest (1981), Mr. Saturday Night (1992), Arachnophobia (1990) and For the Boys (1991).

Tony Gieske, the late jazz reviewer for The Hollywood Reporter, once described Sheldon's "incomparable trumpet sound" as "rich and full as something I wish I could think of to compare it to — a bunch of dewy green grapes?"

On Griffin's long-running TV talk show that began in 1962, the fun-loving Sheldon was front and center for 16 years after being hired for Mort Lindsey's band and enjoyed rich comic banter with the host, a big band singer himself. Griffin's favorite song was "The Shadow of Your Smile," and Sheldon performed it at Griffin's funeral in 2007.

Sheldon also provided the voice for the Conjunction Conductor and performed as proposed legislation in the memorable piece "I'm Just a Bill" on the Saturday morning kids educational series Schoolhouse Rock!, which premiered on ABC in 1973.

He parodied "I'm Just a Bill" as an "Amendment to Be" on an 1996 episode of The Simpsons and reprised his roles as the bill and the conductor on episodes of Family Guy in 2000 and 2001.

Sheldon was born on Nov. 30, 1931, in Jacksonville, Florida, and began playing trumpet at age 12. He moved to Los Angeles in 1947, attended L.A. City College and studied with Uan Rasey, then played with military bands in the U.S. Air Force and, after the service, with the likes of Jimmy Giuffre, Dexter Gordon and Chet Baker.

In the late 1950s, Sheldon toured with orchestras led by Stan Kenton and Benny Goodman and backed Rosemarie Clooney, Peggy Lee, Sammy Davis Jr., Frank Sinatra and other vocal superstars. He also played with Herb Geller, Art Pepper, Wardell Gray, Dave Pell, Curtis Counce, Woody Herman, Al Porcino, Bill Berry, Maynard Ferguson and Buddy Childers.

An inventive player, he also headed his own 17-piece orchestra.

As as actor in the 1960s, Sheldon portrayed neighbor and jazz musician Fletcher Kincaid on The Cara Williams Show and starred as Buddy Overstreet, a young accountant on the run from gangsters, on another CBS series, Run, Buddy, Run. A spoof of The Fugitive from Get Smart producer Leonard Stern, it lasted just 13 episodes.

He then played the brother of John Davidson's character on the 1973-74 NBC sitcom The Girl With Something Extra, starring Sally Field, and appeared in Freaky Friday (1976) and on episodes of Mike Hammer, Private Eye.

Sheldon also was the voice of Louie the Lightning Bug in a series of musical cartoon PSAs in the 1980s and performed the theme song for the 1990's ABC series Homefront, starring Kyle Chandler.

Sheldon was the subject of a 2008 documentary, Trying to Get Good: The Jazz Odyssey of Jack Sheldon, in which he detailed his battle with alcohol and substance abuse. He then made a resounding recovery from a stroke suffered in 2011 that robbed him of the use of his right arm.

"I like the music to swing," he told the Los Angeles Times in 1987, "and I like to make people feel it, feel happy and sad, everything. If the music makes me smile and happy, then maybe the people will feel it, too."

A memorial service is scheduled for 2 p.m. on Jan. 10 at Forest Lawn in Cypress, California.
A Friend
2019-12-31 23:29:05 UTC
As as actor in the 1960s, Sheldon portrayed neighbor and jazz musician
Fletcher Kincaid on The Cara Williams Show and starred as Buddy Overstreet, a
young accountant on the run from gangsters, on another CBS series, Run,
Buddy, Run. A spoof of The Fugitive from Get Smart producer Leonard Stern, it
lasted just 13 episodes.
At least it had an ending. The mobsters chasing Buddy are all caught
by the FBI, and Buddy is left to himself. Then he stumbles into
another set of mobsters and overhears something he's not supposed to
hear, and off we go again.
David Carson
2020-01-01 00:34:53 UTC
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/jack-sheldon-dead-trumpeter-merv-griffin-sidekick-was-88-1265379
Sheldon also provided the voice for the Conjunction Conductor and performed as proposed legislation in the memorable piece "I'm Just a Bill" on the Saturday morning kids educational series Schoolhouse Rock!, which premiered on ABC in 1973.
He parodied "I'm Just a Bill" as an "Amendment to Be" on an 1996 episode of The Simpsons and reprised his roles as the bill and the conductor on episodes of Family Guy in 2000 and 2001.
"Conjunction Junction" and "I'm Just a Bill" were great, but my favorite
Schoolhouse Rock contribution of his is "The Tale of Mr. Morton."

I'm also self-obligated to point out that he had a guest appearance on
"Star Trek: The Next Generation." In the first season episode, "11001001,"
a pair of aliens called Bynars upgraded the holodeck on the Enterprise.
Riker testing it out, created a human jazz trio and joined in with them on
his trombone. Sheldon was the pianist and had a couple of lines of
dialogue.

Dead or Alive Data Base
http://www.doadb.com
RH Draney
2020-01-01 10:52:47 UTC
Post by David Carson
Post by That Derek
[...]
He also made several appearances on the 1967 revival of "Dragnet",
usually as a guy who was in trouble but not actually a criminal of the
sort Friday liked to come down hard on....r
That Derek
2020-01-01 04:36:37 UTC
Before Jack Sheldon moved to Conjunction Junction, he made a stop at Petticoat Junction where he sang "Talk to the Animals." Here's a YouTube link; it starts roughly 13 minutes in:

This song from Dr. Doolitt;e' song is so vapid to the point that Sheldon actually makes it sound enjoyable.
David Carson
2020-01-01 18:26:56 UTC
http://youtu.be/O1cEzpbejzs
This song from Dr. Doolitt;e' song is so vapid to the point that Sheldon actually makes it sound enjoyable.
Yes, it is well sung, but it's too bad he didn't learn the piano part.
People faking at piano really ought to keep their hands low, near the
keys.
--
Dead or Alive Data Base
http://www.doadb.com
That Derek
2020-01-01 17:12:53 UTC
Yes, Jack Sheldon was a semi-regular on the late 1960s Dragnet and, yes, usually as a put-upon character. However, in the following YouTube link, Sheldon is definitely a bad guy marijuana pusher with a flair for being a wiseguy. His part starts roughly 20:20 in and a viewer can figure out the foregoing plot about teaching German shepherds to sniff out drugs. ... AND the word "bitch" shows up in the narrative, but in a benign way as it refers to dog gendering.