Kim Shattuck, 56, LA punk singer/guitarist (The Mufs; Pixies; Coolies; Bowling for Soup)
2019-10-03 01:05:36 UTC
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/kim-shattuck-muffs-dead-obituary-894132/

Home Music Music News

October 2, 2019 7:37PM ET

Kim Shattuck, Muffs Founder and Singer, Dead at 56

Los Angeles singer-guitarist had stint in the Pixies and contributed vocals to NOFX, Bowling for Soup songs

By Suzy Exposito

Kim Shattuck, co-founder of punk band the Muffs who played with the Pixies, NOFX and Bowling for Soup, has died at the age of 56.

Kim Shattuck, the singer and guitarist who co-founded and led the SoCal punk band the Muffs alongside contributions to the Pixies and NOFX, died Wednesday at the age of 56. A rep for Shattuck’s band the Coolies confirmed her death to Rolling Stone. The cause was amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS).

“This morning, the love of my life passed peacefully in her sleep after a two-year struggle with ALS,” Shattuck’s husband, Kevin Sutherland, wrote. “I am the man I am today because of her. She will live with all of us through her music, our shared memories and in her fierce, creative spirit.”‘

Melanie Vammen, Shattuck’s bandmate in the Muffs and the Coolies, shared Sutherland’s message, writing, “My heart is forever broken.” The Coolies’ Palmyra Delran wrote, “So grateful for her friendship. RIP Sweetest Soul.”

A punk at heart, Shattuck cut her teeth playing bass in California hard rock band the Pandoras. Following their dissolution in 1990, she went on to form the SoCal punk band the Muffs. As lead singer-guitarist, Shattuck permeated the college radio waves with her inimitable, bratty snarl. The band’s polished pop-punk melodies suddenly became ubiquitous in the mid-Nineties, after they refashioned Kim Wilde’s 1981 hit “Kids in America” for the 1995 film Clueless, and released their breakout album Blonder and Blonder that same year.

The Muffs went on to release 1997’s Happy Birthday to Me, 1999’s Alert Today, Alive Tomorrow, and 2004’s Really Really Happy. In 2001, Shattuck formed side project the Beards with Lisa Marr and Sherri Sollinger and they released Funtown in 2002.

Shattuck moonlighted as a guest vocalist for many other punk acts: she joined NOFX in their Punk in Drublic cut, “Lori Meyers,” the Dollyrots on their track “Some Girls” and Bowling For Soup’s 2009 song, “I’ll Always Remember You (That Way).” In 2013, Shattuck would replace Kim Deal as bassist in the Pixies but would depart from the group later that year. In an interview with NME, Shattuck speculated that the band dismissed her for taking a stage dive at the Mayan Theater in Los Angeles. “I know they weren’t thrilled about that,” she said. “When I got offstage, the manager told me not to do that again. I said, ‘Really, for my own safety?’ And he said, ‘No, because the Pixies don’t do that.’”

The Muffs reunited in 2014 to produce their first album in 10 years, titled Whoop Dee Doo. The band is slated to release their upcoming album, No Holiday, on October 18th. Earlier this year she and the Coolies released the 6-song EP Uh Oh! It’s… The Coolies. Proceeds from the EP benefit the ALS Association Golden West Chapter.

This story is developing
Topic Cop
2019-10-03 08:16:59 UTC
[...]
This is so heartbreaking.

Had no idea she was sick, just realized I haven't even seen her around in awhile.
Poisoned Rose
2019-10-03 08:22:38 UTC
She was a friend...I'm very shook by this. The news was a total shock,
because I wasn't a good enough friend to know about her illness
beforehand.
That Derek
2019-10-03 16:44:29 UTC
Post by Poisoned Rose
because I wasn't a good enough friend to know about her illness
beforehand.

Perhaps you were not a CLOSE friend to know about Ms. Shattuck's health;
however, that doesn't exempt you from having been a GOOD ENOUGH rriend. I can tell by the passion of your posting that were a GOOD friend.

Deepest condolences.
Topic Cop
Not many people knew
Louis Epstein
2019-10-06 01:39:50 UTC
[...]
A rather rapid case of ALS...which took over 50 years to kill Stephen
Hawking.
I just followed a link to a 2017 video Shattuck did with Derrick Anderson
and the Peterson sisters (best known as Bangles) and she didn't seem
mobility-impaired then.
Post by That Derek
This story is developing
some developments go faster than others.