Static discharge sparked fire atpump, police say
An expert on fuel-pumpfires says Friday's fatality in Lower Allen
Twp. is only the second one in the nation caused by static electricity
at a pump.
March 09, 2010
Pennsylvania Labor & Industry closes Cumberland County gas station
where man died pumping gas
By MONICA VON DOBENECK
The Patriot-News (Harrisburg, PA)
March 23, 2010
The Pennsylvania Department of Labor and Industry has shut down the
Lower Allen Twp. gas station where a man died March 5 while pumping
gasoline until numerous violations are corrected, according to an L&I
A letter dated March 12 to HET Enterprises, owner of the BP Service
Station on Simpson Ferry Road, notes “serious deficiencies with tank
and dispensing equipment” which “present an imminent danger to the
L&I spokesman David Smith said he could not say if Luther David Byers,
19, of Lower Allen Township, would have survived if the violations had
not existed. "I can’t respond to that,” he said. The Cumberland County
coroner said Byers died from inhaling superheated gases resulting from
a flash fire. A state police fire marshal ruled that the fire was
sparked by an accidental discharge of static electricity.
Alleged violations listed in the L&I report include not having an
attendant on duty while the station is open to the public, electric
equipment that was not in compliance, improper seals on dispensers, no
fire extinguishers at the doorway to the station or the canopy’s
support column, and failure to post warnings signs.
Byers was a 2009 graduate of Cedar Cliff High School and the
Cumberland Perry Vocational Technical School who was hoping to become
a police officer.