Michael "Doc" Thompson, 49, Cincinnati/Dallas radio personality -- struck by train while jogging
2019-02-08 00:44:16 UTC
https://www.cincinnati.com/story/entertainment/2019/02/06/michael-doc-thompson-former-700-wlw-host-dies-hit-train-texas/2797834002/

Tributes pour in for former WLW host Michael 'Doc' Thompson

Dave Clark, Cincinnati Enquirer
Published 10:03 p.m. ET Feb. 6, 2019 |
Updated 10:20 p.m. ET Feb. 6, 2019

Friends and fans of former 700 WLW host Michael "Doc" Thompson - who died Tuesday after being struck by an Amtrak train while jogging in Haltom City, Texas - are offering tributes via social media.

Thompson worked as a host on WLW-AM from 2010 to 2012, then worked as a radio host in Richmond, Virginia. He worked most recently for MoJo 5.0 Radio near Dallas, Texas. He was 49 years old.
Michael OConnor
2019-02-08 02:10:48 UTC
"Goodnight, Steve Cannon, wherever you are..."
Bryan Styble
2019-02-08 18:34:13 UTC
The often-perspicacious Michael O'Connor proffered this apparent witticism for one and all:

"Goodnight, Steve Cannon, wherever you are..."

As one of those ever-annoying dunderheads who once toiled professionally in stand-up comedy [open-mic night MC at The Laugh Factory on the Sunset Strip, 1987-89], I'm reminded of a line sometimes employed by colleagues after a clever-but-obscurely-alluding gag goes flying over the heads of at least us dimwits who move our lips whilst we read: "Too hip for the room!"

Ergo, Michael, kindly follow up with something I admit to absolutely abhor being chided into doing: explaining a punchline.

Thanks in advance!

2019-02-08 19:16:45 UTC
Post by Michael OConnor
"Goodnight, Steve Cannon, wherever you are..."
As one of those ever-annoying dunderheads who once toiled professionally in stand-up comedy [open-mic night MC at The Laugh Factory on the Sunset Strip, 1987-89], I'm reminded of a line sometimes employed by colleagues after a clever-but-obscurely-alluding gag goes flying over the heads of at least us dimwits who move our lips whilst we read: "Too hip for the room!"
Ergo, Michael, kindly follow up with something I admit to absolutely abhor being chided into doing: explaining a punchline.
Thanks in advance!
I was an occasional listener to his show over the years and that was how he ended his show. I think Steve Cannon was somebody Doc had worked with early in his radio career who either burned him or told him he was no good
and should be selling insurance or something.
Louis Epstein
2019-02-08 02:35:42 UTC
https://www.cincinnati.com/story/entertainment/2019/02/06/michael-doc-thompson-former-700-wlw-host-dies-hit-train-texas/2797834002/
Tributes pour in for former WLW host Michael 'Doc' Thompson
Dave Clark, Cincinnati Enquirer
Published 10:03 p.m. ET Feb. 6, 2019 |
Updated 10:20 p.m. ET Feb. 6, 2019
Friends and fans of former 700 WLW host Michael "Doc" Thompson - who
died Tuesday after being struck by an Amtrak train while jogging in
Haltom City, Texas - are offering tributes via social media.
Why was he jogging where he would be hit by a train?
2019-02-08 08:01:06 UTC
Post by That Derek
Tributes pour in for former WLW host Michael 'Doc' Thompson
Dave Clark, Cincinnati Enquirer
Published 10:03 p.m. ET Feb. 6, 2019 |
Updated 10:20 p.m. ET Feb. 6, 2019
Friends and fans of former 700 WLW host Michael "Doc" Thompson - who
died Tuesday after being struck by an Amtrak train while jogging in
Haltom City, Texas - are offering tributes via social media.
Why was he jogging where he would be hit by a train?
Well, it is pretty easy to intuit what happened. Obviously, he was jogging
on or near the tracks. With trains, you gotta go to them; they don't come
to you.

I was going to make a joke posting about how the engineer was drunk and
drove the train onto the sidewalk, killing the guy. Or he drove it into a
farmer's market, killing lots of people.

But, you see, trains don't do that.
--
The book "1984" used to be a cautionary tale;
Now it is a "how-to" manual.
l***@yahoo.com
2019-02-08 18:39:46 UTC
From George Carlin's book "When Will Jesus Bring the Pork Chops?":

(1:23 minutes)

SPOILERS:

"This item demonstrates how stupid the average American is. Every
ninety minutes someone in this country is hit by a train. A train, OK?
Trains are on tracks; they can't come and get you. They can't surprise
you when you step off the curb. You have to go to them. Got that?

"There are five thousand highway/rail-crossing accidents annually. To
counter this problem, the Department of Transportation issued the
following rules for people to follow at railroad crossings.

• Don't drive around lowered gates. "Okay, got it."

• Don't cross in front of a train. "Never thought of that."

• Don't walk on the tracks. "Check."

• Be aware that trains can't stop quickly. "Good to know."

• Always expect a train. "This one would probably be tied in to the
fact that these are railroad tracks, is that right? Correct me if I'm
wrong on this."

• Look for more than one train. "Frankly, this is one I never thought
of. Maybe if I remember the others, this one will take care of
itself."

2019-02-08 19:16:30 UTC
I sure do miss George Carlin.
Kenny McCormack
2019-02-08 20:06:28 UTC
Post by l***@yahoo.com
http://youtu.be/VTSOXEQlcXk
(1:23 minutes)
[...]
Good stuff.

And, yes, in fact, I did have that routine in mind when I wrote my previous
response.
--
BigBusiness types (aka, Republicans/Conservatives/Independents/Liberatarians/whatevers)
don't hate big government. They *love* big government as a means for them to get
like people actually having the right to vote and stuff like that.
That Derek
2019-02-08 19:13:06 UTC
Didn't Lawrence Welk once introduce Duke Ellington's "Take the A Train" by misreading the cue cards and saying "Take a Train"?

Or is that story apocryphal?
Alfalfa Bill
2019-02-08 23:45:20 UTC
Didn't Lawrence Welk once introduce Duke Ellington's "Take the A Train" by misreading the cue cards and saying "Take a Train"?
Or is that story apocryphal?
On his show Lawrence Welk once did present Brewer & Shipley's One Toke Over the Line as a "modern day spiritual."

Adam H. Kerman
2019-02-08 19:26:37 UTC
https://www.cincinnati.com/story/entertainment/2019/02/06/michael-doc-thompson-former-700-wlw-host-dies-hit-train-texas/2797834002/
Tributes pour in for former WLW host Michael 'Doc' Thompson
Dave Clark, Cincinnati Enquirer
Published 10:03 p.m. ET Feb. 6, 2019 |
Updated 10:20 p.m. ET Feb. 6, 2019
Friends and fans of former 700 WLW host Michael "Doc" Thompson - who
died Tuesday after being struck by an Amtrak train while jogging in
Haltom City, Texas - are offering tributes via social media.
Thompson worked as a host on WLW-AM from 2010 to 2012, then worked as a
radio host in Richmond, Virginia. He worked most recently for MoJo 5.0
Radio near Dallas, Texas. He was 49 years old.
It's a real danger. Trains just leap off their tracks all the time to
mow down runners.

He was running on the right of way much much too close to the tracks,
wearing earbuds. What could possibly go wrong?

Every time a death like this happens, I wish the railroad would sue the
deceased's estate for damages.
David Carson
2019-02-08 21:21:07 UTC
On Fri, 8 Feb 2019 19:26:37 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman"
Post by Adam H. Kerman
He was running on the right of way much much too close to the tracks,
wearing earbuds. What could possibly go wrong?
I've stated before that as an avid jogger, I've found that most
pedestrians believe that there is nothing in the space beside and
behind them. It is null and void, as if God never created it, or it
ceased to exist after they passed through it. By "most," I mean at
least 4 out of 5 people think this way.

People who jog, or walk, anywhere with their ears covered and noise
going into them are reducing their life expectancy. Your eyes are
there to alert you to things and people that are in a 90-degree field
in front of you that want to kill you. Your ears are there to alert
you to the other 270 degrees.