Number 16, world's oldest known spider, dead at 43
2018-04-28 04:17:22 UTC
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2018/04/27/farewell-no-16-scientists-left-miserable-worlds-oldest-spider/

Farewell, No. 16: scientists left 'miserable' after world's oldest spider dies aged 43

Henry Bodkin
27 APRIL 2018 • 5:43PM

The world’s oldest known spider has died at the age of 43, outliving its nearest rival by 15 years, Australian scientists have reported.

Affectionately known as “Number 16”, the female Giaus Villosus or trapdoor spider had been under observation in the wild since its birth in 1974.

The arachnid is believed to have survived for so long by sticking to one protected burrow its entire life and expending the minimum of energy.

Previously the oldest known spider was a tarantula in Mexico, which died at the age of 28.

Published the Pacific Conservation Biology Journal, the research is the life’s work of Barbara York Main, now 88, who first set eyes on Number 16 shortly after its birth.

“To our knowledge this is the oldest spider ever recorded and her significant life has allowed us to further investigate the trapdoor spider’s behaviour and popular dynamics,” said Leanda Mason, a student of Professor Main’s and the study’s lead author.

“Through Barbara’s detailed research, we were able to determine that the extensive life span of the trapdoor spider is due to their life-history traits, including how they live in uncleared, native bushland, their sedentary nature and low metabolisms.”

While trapdoor spiders are poisonous, it is the males, who leave their burrows to find a mate, which are usually encountered by humans.

A typical danger in Australia is homeowners finding what they believe to be dead spiders in their swimming pools, which can then rear up and attack when removed.

The trapdoor species typically take five to seven years to mature and will then invest their energies in a single burrow, with the females rarely venturing more than a few metres away from their place of birth.

Ms Mason said of the Number 16’s death: “We’re really miserable about it.

“We were hoping she could have made it to 50 years old.”
Larc
2018-04-28 04:43:31 UTC
On Fri, 27 Apr 2018 21:17:22 -0700 (PDT), Michael OConnor <***@aol.com> wrote:

| https://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2018/04/27/farewell-no-16-scientists-left-miserable-worlds-oldest-spider/
|
| Farewell, No. 16: scientists left 'miserable' after world's oldest spider dies aged 43

Somebody finally managed to squash him?

Larc
RH Draney
2018-04-28 08:19:05 UTC
Post by Larc
| https://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2018/04/27/farewell-no-16-scientists-left-miserable-worlds-oldest-spider/
|
| Farewell, No. 16: scientists left 'miserable' after world's oldest spider dies aged 43
Somebody finally managed to squash him?
Her...spiders are "her" by default unless you know different...it's that
nest-building thing....

I recently had to curtail the territorial grab made by one of the young
eight-legged ladies in my kitchen...I don't mind having them around to
keep the gnat population down, but she was getting a little big for her
britches and her web had expanded to block off part of my spice rack....r
David Carson
2018-04-28 21:53:00 UTC
Post by Larc
| https://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2018/04/27/farewell-no-16-scientists-left-miserable-worlds-oldest-spider/
|
| Farewell, No. 16: scientists left 'miserable' after world's oldest spider dies aged 43
Somebody finally managed to squash him?
Can't remember where I saw it first, but spiders think we're their
roommates until the day we turn into murderous psychos.
That Derek
2018-04-28 22:59:41 UTC
Was this spider done in by an old lady who swallowed it an attempt to catch the fly she had originally swallowed?

I don't know why she swallowed a fly. Perhaps she'll die.
Meteorite Debris
2018-05-02 03:28:39 UTC
Post by Michael OConnor
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2018/04/27/farewell-no-16-scientists-left-miserable-worlds-oldest-spider/
Farewell, No. 16: scientists left 'miserable' after world's oldest spider dies aged 43
Henry Bodkin
27 APRIL 2018 ? 5:43PM
The world?s oldest known spider has died at the age of 43, outliving its nearest rival by 15 years, Australian scientists have reported.
A jump in the oldest known spider from 28 to 43 just shows how little we
know about spiders. How little data. With more data the record will be
broken by only small increments. Only with a small sample size can such
an out lier be expected.