OT: 9-year-old suspended for BB gun in his bedroom during a virtual class
Add Reply
Jason
2020-09-26 10:32:43 UTC
https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-pandemic-09-26-20-intl/index.html

A 9-year-old Louisiana student was suspended and now has a weapons violation in his school record after a teacher said a gun was seen in his bedroom during a virtual class.

What happened: Fourth-grader Ka Mauri Harrison was taking a rollover test in his bedroom on September 11 after being off school sick the day before, Chelsea Cusimano, the attorney representing the Harrison family, told CNN Friday.

While Harrison was taking the test, Ka Mauri's brother -- who he shares a room with -- stepped or tripped on a BB gun that Ka Mauri had received as a gift. Ka Mauri picked up the gun and was out of sight from the screen for a moment before placing the BB gun next to him on his chair, Cusimano said.

Ka Mauri -- who had muted the virtual class he was on so he could concentrate on his test -- continued working before noticing his teacher was trying to get his attention. According to Cusimano, the teacher was screaming and Ka Mari got kicked off the virtual classroom.

After the incident: A behavior interventionist told Ka Mauri's family that, according to the teacher, Ka Mauri was out of sight for a few second sand came back with what looked like a rifle which he propped against his chair, according to Cusimano. The family was told Ka Mauri wouldn't be able to go back to school.

At a hearing on September 22, it was determined Ka Mauri was guilty of displaying a facsimile weapon while receiving virtual education. Cusimano said a hearing officer determined it was a BB gun.

The school amended the recommendation for expulsion to school suspension for six days and social work assessment. Ka Mauri returned to school on Thursday, September 24.

The reaction: Cusimano told CNN the school parish "took an on-campus weapons policy and unilaterally determined that they were going to apply it to one of their students in a manner as if he was on campus and not consider any measures such as the privacy of his own home."

Cusimano argues that schools should consider the things that take place in a private home when they enact policies in a virtual learning environment.

"Now he's got a federal gun possession mark on his educational record for the rest of his career until he goes to college," she said.

Cusimano and the Harrison family want the charge to be cleared from Ka Mauri's record. The parish's legal counsel argued Ka Mauri doesn't have the right to an appeal because it was only a suspension, according to Cusimano.

In a statement to CNN, the school parish told CNN: "We do not comment on individual student records. Regarding discipline, it is our policy that teachers and administrators may employ reasonable disciplinary and corrective measures to maintain order."

Louisiana Attorney General Jeff Landry announced Friday his office is investigating the incident, saying it appears to be a "blatant government overreach by the school system."
Adam H. Kerman
2020-09-26 19:23:10 UTC
Post by Jason
A 9-year-old Louisiana student was suspended and now has a weapons
violation in his school record after a teacher said a gun was seen in
his bedroom during a virtual class. . . .
You provided the wrong URL.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/26/us/student-suspended-gun-virtual/
f***@netzero.net
2020-09-27 06:01:58 UTC
It seems reasonable that an inspector would have been sent to the home when the gun was first discovered. But once it was found to be a BB gun, the suspension and the amended criminal record should have been rescinded immediately.
RH Draney
2020-09-27 07:48:15 UTC
Post by f***@netzero.net
Post by Jason
Louisiana Attorney General Jeff Landry announced Friday his office is investigating the incident, saying it appears to be a "blatant government overreach by the school system."
It seems reasonable that an inspector would have been sent to the home when the gun was first discovered. But once it was found to be a BB gun, the suspension and the amended criminal record should have been rescinded immediately.
Uh, no, because typically "representations" of weapons are considered
equivalent to actual weapons in zero-tolerance land...there've already
been stories of a kid kicked out of school for biting a piece of cheese
into the silhouette of a pistol, others for playing with plastic army
men holding rifles less than two inches long, and of someone being
dragged off an airplane for wearing a piece of jewelry with the image of
a sword....r
Terry del Fuego
2020-09-27 13:14:39 UTC
Post by RH Draney
Uh, no, because typically "representations" of weapons are considered
equivalent to actual weapons in zero-tolerance land...there've already
been stories of a kid kicked out of school for biting a piece of cheese
into the silhouette of a pistol, others for playing with plastic army
men holding rifles less than two inches long, and of someone being
dragged off an airplane for wearing a piece of jewelry with the image of
a sword....r
Do you know what the proper form of address is for someone who
intentionally brings a child into a country/world that screwed up?

(It's a trick question: There is no form of address because there's
absolutely no reason to interact with such "people". Plus talking
would alert them to your presence and probably ruin your shot.)
Larc
2020-09-27 15:57:51 UTC
On Sun, 27 Sep 2020 00:48:15 -0700, RH Draney <***@cox.net> wrote:

| On 9/26/2020 11:01 PM, ***@netzero.net wrote:
| >

| >> Louisiana Attorney General Jeff Landry announced Friday his office is investigating the incident, saying it appears to be a "blatant government overreach by the school system."
| >
| > It seems reasonable that an inspector would have been sent to the home when the gun was first discovered. But once it was found to be a BB gun, the suspension and the amended criminal record should have been rescinded immediately.
|
| Uh, no, because typically "representations" of weapons are considered
| equivalent to actual weapons in zero-tolerance land...there've already
| been stories of a kid kicked out of school for biting a piece of cheese
| into the silhouette of a pistol, others for playing with plastic army
| men holding rifles less than two inches long, and of someone being
| dragged off an airplane for wearing a piece of jewelry with the image of
| a sword....r

But all that happened in jurisdictions of others. It is 100% legal to have real
rifles in your private residence, not to mention things such as BB guns. Somebody at
the school egregiously overstepped his/her authority. If I were this kid's father, I
would sue hell out of them.

Larc
Adam H. Kerman
2020-09-27 18:53:40 UTC
Post by Larc
Post by RH Draney
Post by f***@netzero.net
Post by Jason
[...]
Just a damn minute. It is NOT legal to have an unsecured rifle in one's
home that a child might play with. That's called child endangerment. A
teacher witnessing child endangerment is legally obligated to make a
report either to police or social workers, and reporting to her own boss
but not making the direct report herself does not fulfill her legal
obligation.

You don't know what you're talking about.

The issue here is whether she could tell it was a toy. My guess, without
reading the official reports, is that the teacher saw it was a toy and
made the reports anyway. Toy guns probably do violate the school
district's zero tolerance policy and the school was falsely asserting
jurisdiction for disciplining the child for the representation of the
weapon due to the on line video during "class", or sometimes schools
assert jurisdiction just because they learn about a situation.

You're completely wrong if it had been an actual unsecured rifle. That's
simply not legal to leave where a child might play with it. Now,
children can be taught to properly handle weapons and to secure them
when not in use and never to point them at anyone during play, but if
the teacher had reason to believe the child was playing with an
unsecured weapon, she's legally obligated to report that AND the gun's
owner committed the crime of child endangerment.
Bermuda999
Steve Hayes