Notre Dame de Paris, 1345-2019
J.D. Baldwin
2019-04-15 18:19:49 UTC
Burning. Spire and roof have collapsed. They're barely even putting
any water on it and it's been blazing away for close to an hour. Some
of the structure might be saved, I suppose, but the cathedral as such
is gone forever.
danny burstein
2019-04-15 18:26:54 UTC
Post by J.D. Baldwin
Burning. Spire and roof have collapsed. They're barely even putting
any water on it and it's been blazing away for close to an hour. Some
of the structure might be saved, I suppose, but the cathedral as such
is gone forever.
The typical cathedal (of whatever religion) is a major,
MAJOR, fire disaster waiting to happen.

Large, make that cavernous, open areas... high, make that HOGH,
roofline. Etc.

There were similar fires in NYC at The Cathedral Church of
St. John The Unfinished, and at the Central Synogogue. Oh,
and also Kehilath Jeshurun.

The first two came very close to being total losses, but
that highly vaunted NYC Fire Department (meant seriously)
was able to get enough resources and water into them
quickly enough to keep it down to "major loss" rather
than total.

In the case of KJ they were able to isolate it before it
extended to the main cathedral area. But ten minutes later...
***@panix.com
2019-04-18 05:17:47 UTC
Post by J.D. Baldwin
Burning. Spire and roof have collapsed. They're barely even putting
any water on it and it's been blazing away for close to an hour. Some
of the structure might be saved, I suppose, but the cathedral as such
is gone forever.
What was built of stone appears mostly intact in greater terms though
there was significant disrepair (the fire appears to have started where
restoration work was in progress).There will be rebuilding...how close
to what was destroyed remains to be seen.

(In the 1660s there was a committee on restoration of St. Paul's
Cathedral in London,a structure even larger than Notre Dame (it
was long the tallest structure ever built by man)...among the members
was Christopher Wren,who didn't really like the old cathedral.So when
the Great Fire of 1666 reduced it to rubble,he got the commission to
rebuild and erected a smaller structure of very different design).

I certainly hope the restoration is more faithful than we've had
at the WTC...

2019-04-18 12:02:10 UTC
Post by Louis Epstein
I certainly hope the restoration is more faithful than we've had
at the WTC...
Since this was a sacred shrine, and it was pretty well documented in an architectural manner, I believe they will settle for nothing less than an exact recreation of the Notre Dame, but it will take several decades to complete, and I'll probably never live long enough to see the finished product.

I have yet to hear how extensive was the damage to the organ and in particular the organ pipes. Many of the pipes were a couple hundred years old, and were replaced periodically about every 300 years, so it is hoped some of the older pipes survived the fire.
MiNe109
2019-04-18 14:35:14 UTC
Post by Michael OConnor
I certainly hope the restoration is more faithful than we've had at
the WTC...
Since this was a sacred shrine, and it was pretty well documented in
an architectural manner, I believe they will settle for nothing less
than an exact recreation of the Notre Dame, but it will take several
decades to complete, and I'll probably never live long enough to see
the finished product.
I have yet to hear how extensive was the damage to the organ and in
particular the organ pipes. Many of the pipes were a couple hundred
years old, and were replaced periodically about every 300 years, so
it is hoped some of the older pipes survived the fire.
Reports say the organ escaped fire damage but suffered "not
catastrophically" from water.

https://www.euronews.com/2019/04/17/notre-dame-fire-what-was-lost-what-was-saved-what-we-don-t-know
Louis Epstein
2019-04-18 16:08:43 UTC
Post by MiNe109
Post by Michael OConnor
I certainly hope the restoration is more faithful than we've had at
the WTC...
Since this was a sacred shrine, and it was pretty well documented in
an architectural manner, I believe they will settle for nothing less
than an exact recreation of the Notre Dame, but it will take several
decades to complete, and I'll probably never live long enough to see
the finished product.
I have yet to hear how extensive was the damage to the organ and in
particular the organ pipes. Many of the pipes were a couple hundred
years old, and were replaced periodically about every 300 years, so
it is hoped some of the older pipes survived the fire.
Reports say the organ escaped fire damage but suffered "not
catastrophically" from water.
https://www.euronews.com/2019/04/17/notre-dame-fire-what-was-lost-what-was-saved-what-we-don-t-know
FWIW:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6931887/Notre-Dame-shut-five-six-year-repairs-spires-rooster-discovered-rubble.html
(lots of photos)

Will the "firestops" be added this time?

Larc
2019-04-18 16:33:56 UTC
On Thu, 18 Apr 2019 09:35:14 -0500, MiNe109 <***@yahoo.com> wrote:

| On 4/18/19 7:02 AM, Michael OConnor wrote:
| >
| > I have yet to hear how extensive was the damage to the organ and in
| > particular the organ pipes. Many of the pipes were a couple hundred
| > years old, and were replaced periodically about every 300 years, so
| > it is hoped some of the older pipes survived the fire.
|
| Reports say the organ escaped fire damage but suffered "not
| catastrophically" from water.
|
| https://www.euronews.com/2019/04/17/notre-dame-fire-what-was-lost-what-was-saved-what-we-don-t-know

It sounds as if the organ thankfully wasn't damaged beyond repair. Since it is
located mainly between the 2 towers that were saved, it stood a better chance than
many other things in the cathedral. I expect it will be removed for repair, cleaning
and storage soon and will be better than ever once Notre Dame is restored and the
organ is finally reinstalled. It will undoubtedly retain the iconic sound given when
it was extensively redone by Aristide Cavaillé-Coll in 1852.

Larc
Louis Epstein
2019-04-21 15:46:48 UTC
Post by Larc

| > I have yet to hear how extensive was the damage to the organ and in
| > particular the organ pipes. Many of the pipes were a couple hundred
| > years old, and were replaced periodically about every 300 years, so
| > it is hoped some of the older pipes survived the fire.
|
| Reports say the organ escaped fire damage but suffered "not
| catastrophically" from water.
|
| https://www.euronews.com/2019/04/17/notre-dame-fire-what-was-lost-what-was-saved-what-we-don-t-know
It sounds as if the organ thankfully wasn't damaged beyond repair. Since it is
located mainly between the 2 towers that were saved, it stood a better chance than
many other things in the cathedral. I expect it will be removed for repair, cleaning
and storage soon and will be better than ever once Notre Dame is restored and the
organ is finally reinstalled. It will undoubtedly retain the iconic sound given when
it was extensively redone by Aristide Cavaill?-Coll in 1852.
https://www.npr.org/sections/deceptivecadence/2019/04/21/715271953/after-the-flames-notre-dames-centuries-old-organ-may-never-be-the-same-again
Sounds like they don't really know.