Blade Runner star Rutger Hauer dies aged 75
Add Reply
mongo
2019-07-24 17:16:00 UTC
https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-49098435

From Auntie Beeb:

Actor Rutger Hauer, who starred in 1982's Blade Runner, has died at the age of 75.

His agent confirmed the star died in the Netherlands on Friday after a short illness.

Hauer played the murderous replicant Roy Batty in Blade Runner, which was directed by Ridley Scott and also starred Harrison Ford.

The actor's funeral was held on Wednesday.

His performance in Blade Runner was by far his most famous role, but he continued acting right up until this year.

He also appeared in Sin City, Batman Begins and True Blood.
Michael OConnor
2019-07-24 18:15:25 UTC
Sorry to see him go; he was always one of my favorite actors. After "Blade Runner", his best role was as the psychopath in "The Hitcher". Probably best suited to playing villains, but also had the range to play protagonists such as in "Ladyhawke" and "Wanted: Dead or Alive". Why he didn't become a bigger star in the 80's following the success of "Blade Runner" always bothered me; he really should have become the go-to movie villain in the way Dennis Hopper did in the 90's.
Guilty Bastard
2019-07-25 01:29:53 UTC
Post by Michael OConnor
Why he didn't become a bigger star in the 80's following the success of "Blade Runner" always bothered me;
Because BR was NOT a success at the time. It only became a success years
later.
Terry del Fuego
2019-07-26 13:00:14 UTC
On Wed, 24 Jul 2019 11:15:25 -0700 (PDT), Michael OConnor
Post by Michael OConnor
Why he didn't become a bigger star in the 80's following the success
of "Blade Runner" always bothered me; he really should have become
the go-to movie villain in the way Dennis Hopper did in the 90's.
One possibility/one person's experience:
<https://wilwheaton.typepad.com/wwdnbackup/2009/02/the-one-about-that-time-i-worked-in-a-movie-with-ron-jeremy-yes-that-ron-jeremy.html>

"...Rutger Hauer, was an absolute nightmare to work with and almost
single-handedly ruined the film."