<Archive Obituary> Frankie Lymon (February 28th 1968)
Bill Schenley
2007-02-28 07:05:05 UTC
Frankie Lymon Dies In Apartment Here

Photo: Loading Image...

FROM: The New York Times (February 28th 1968) ~

Frankie Lymon, the rock 'n' roll singer who popularized
"Why Do Fools Fall in Love?" was found dead yesterday
in the apartment of a friend, apparently, of an overdose
of narcotics, according to the police.

The 26-year-old singer, who was in the Army stationed
at Camp Gordon in Augusta, Ga., was in the city on leave,
the police said.

He was found in the apartment of Walter Stribling, in a
tenement at 370 West 156th Street, near Edgecombe
Avenue, and the police reported a hypodermic needle was
near the body.

Mr. Lymon was arrested June 21, 1966, for the possession
of narcotics.

He made numerous hit recordings as a teenager and wrote
a magazine article about a year ago on how he kicked the
narcotics habit, the police said.
---
Photo:
(w/The Teenagers)

('Why Do Fools Fall in Love')

('Goody Goody')
Jed
2007-03-01 04:12:28 UTC
Post by Bill Schenley
http://youtu.be/q96ylFiQK_I
Here's an interesting take of the same song for those who remember 78
rpms.

aka Bob
2007-03-01 05:43:43 UTC
Photo: http://www.fiftiesweb.com/frankie-lymon.jpg
FROM: The New York Times (February 28th 1968) ~
Frankie Lymon, the rock 'n' roll singer who popularized
"Why Do Fools Fall in Love?" was found dead yesterday
in the apartment of a friend, apparently, of an overdose
of narcotics, according to the police.
Thanks to you and Jed for these blasts from the past. I was in my
first year of high school when Why Do Fools Fall in Love came out and,
for various foolish reasons, the song really struck a chord with me
and still does.

Damn that kid was talented. Although, after writing that, I realise
that he was only a year younger than I was when the song became a hit.
But at the time of his death I remember thinking that not only did
Frankie Lymon write that song and had a strong, true voice, but he
could really move and had loads of personality. I thought, "what a
waste" and wondered what he could have accomplished had he not got
involved with "H" and died so young.
--
"It's not that I'm afraid to die. I just don't want to be there when it happens." - Woody Allen

Wax-up and drop-in of Surfing's Golden Years: <http://www.surfwriter.net>
William Barger
2007-03-01 20:29:37 UTC
I have read a couple articles about Frankie's death. Each stated that he
died in his granddmother's bathroom with a syringe still sticking in his
arm leaving little question as to cause of death.
g***@gmail.com
2018-03-17 14:28:19 UTC
He did pass in his grandmother's bathroom. His manager introduced him to drugs to get him to keep up with his career, he ended up becoming addicted. My grandfather was (just recently passed away) the uncle of Frankie, he was his original manager when he first started, until he got his first record deal then he was no longer his manager. I grew up hearing stories about my cousin (Frankie). I know he regretted getting involved with drugs, and I know he didn't plan to "waste" his life away to that either. He was very young when he first started.
p***@gmail.com
2018-08-22 17:21:40 UTC
Oh wow a real relative of frankie! His life story is very sad and it leaves fans with so many questions. Have you and your family ever tried to put out your own story on what really happened to frankie and who he was as a person outside of fame and drugs? A lot of questions on where was his family and their support. They portray him as being all alone with no support. I'm not trying to overstep any boundaries but if you don't mind id love to hear stories of Frankie and the truth behind who he was and his fall.