Healthwatch: Baseball Hall of Famer Bob Gibson diagnosed w/pancreatic cancer
Jason
2019-07-14 19:38:09 UTC
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2718411

ESPN

Hall of Fame right-hander Bob Gibson, who won the Cy Young and National League MVP awards in 1968, sent a letter to living Hall of Famers informing them he is battling pancreatic cancer.

Gibson, widely considered one of the greatest pitchers of all time, was diagnosed with cancer several weeks ago, his agent, Dick Zitzmann, told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

Zitzmann told the newspaper that he has spoken to Gibson and that chemotherapy is expected to begin Monday in Omaha, Nebraska, the pitcher's hometown. Gibson, who turns 84 in November, has been hospitalized in Omaha for the past two weeks.

"We all know what a competitor he is," Zitzmann told the Post-Dispatch.

Gibson went 22-9 and led the majors in ERA (1.12), shutouts (13) and strikeouts (268) in 1968 for the St. Louis Cardinals. The year before, he went the distance in three games, all wins, and St. Louis beat the Boston Red Sox in seven games in an epic World Series.

In 1969, Major League Baseball lowered the pitcher's mound from 15 inches to 10 inches in hopes of boosting offense. Gibson remained dominant, winning 20 games for the fourth time and completing 28 games in 33 decisions.

Gibson, who spent his entire career with the Cardinals, won 251 games over 17 seasons. He was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1981.

The Cardinals offered their well wishes Saturday night, tweeting: "Get well soon, Bob. All of Cardinal Nation is behind you!"
Michael OConnor
2019-07-14 20:06:44 UTC
Bob Gibson was the most intimidating pitcher I've ever seen; he was so tough, Roberto Clemente once hit a line drive off his leg, breaking his leg, and Gibson pitched to three more batters before his fibula finally snapped and he had to leave the game. If anybody can stare down cancer and strike it out, Bob Gibson can.
Bryan Styble
2019-07-14 21:38:37 UTC
Yeah, Michael, Bob Gibson's powerful pitching style was indeed something to behold! (I presume you've seen the extant NBC broadcast of Game 1 of the 1968 Tigers/Cardinals series, available on YouTube and elsewhere? It was a strikeoutpalooza, as you may well remember.)

I was privileged to witness Gibson pitch in person a couple times at now-razed Busch Stadium right there in the shadow of The Gateway Arch, and though in fact would attend my only World Series ticketed-inside* game ever during that 1968 Series, I was NOT at the above-referenced Game 1.

Rather, it was Game 6 that I attended with my mother, who had the previous week attended Game 2 with my father. As it happened, Game 6 would never have been even played had the Cardinals not blown their 3-1 Series lead after Game 4 in Motown. But the Tigers rallied "at the corner of Michigan and Trumble" [as we used to often ID Tiger Stadium on my old station, WJR/Detroit, the longtime Tigers radio flagship], so there WAS a Game 6 held back in St. Louis. Mom and I were seated in the right-field upper deck for the twice-rain-delayed proceedings that Wednesday (as I played hooky from my 8th Grade classes), which turned out to be a 13-1 Tigers blowout of the Cards--featuring Jim Northrup's third-inning grand slam clearing the right-field wall beneath us, only the twelfth slam in Series history.

* I was UNticketed-OUTside Games 6 and 7 of the titanic Red Sox/Reds Series in 1975, but only snuck INSIDE Fenway Park after Game 7 had concluded...but at least I managed to (Charlie-)hustle down onto the field (to, among other shenanigans, stand upon home plate whilst craning my neck watching Joe Garagiola do his post-game schtick up in the booth) and jog through the miscreant throng into the outfield (to stand in the extremity of the right-centerfield "point", 'natch)...and even pocketing and then smuggling back to my Boston University dorm room a small piece of centerfield turf (though that Fenway grass, alas, proved unsmokable).
Diner
2019-07-15 10:54:18 UTC
Post by Jason
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2718411
ESPN
Hall of Fame right-hander Bob Gibson, who won the Cy Young and National League MVP awards in 1968, sent a letter to living Hall of Famers informing them he is battling pancreatic cancer.
As a kid in the seventies, I first knew Bob Gibson from his Primatene Mist commercials, which ran every night on the NBC Nightly News with John Chancellor for what seemed like years.