Semi-OT: "Things Librarians Say"
Add Reply
Lenona
2020-10-05 16:22:19 UTC
I found it at "Awful Library Books: Hoarding Is Not Collection Development."

http://awfullibrarybooks.net/things-librarians-say/

Most of it (the relevant part is near the bottom):

"No, I am not hiding the tax forms. They haven’t come in yet.”

“Yes, you must wear shoes, shirt and pants in the library.”

“What do you mean someone found a butcher knife in the toilet?"

"I'm sorry, I can’t call another patron and tell them to ‘hurry up and finish’ their book so you can have your turn.”

“We can get you images of PAINTINGS of Jesus, but there are no PHOTOGRAPHS of Jesus.”

“Sexkitten1994 is not a good choice for an email when you are applying for a job. How about we make another one?”

"I'm sorry, we don’t have a special summer reading program for the gifted.”

“I’m so sorry you misunderstood that Boogie Nights is a movie not appropriate for children. It is our policy not to comment on patron choices.”

“I’m sorry you are sad, but it is not appropriate for us to put a warning label on a book if the main character dies.”

“No, I am sorry, the library staff cannot watch your baby while you run to Walmart.”

“I guess I am the ‘Head Bitch in Charge’. What can I help you with?

Lenona.
Lenona
2020-10-05 16:40:40 UTC
And here are comments on one of the Awful Books - it's the classic The Bad Seed (1954), about a child killer:

http://awfullibrarybooks.net/the-bad-seed-friday-fiction/

I don't understand why a good horror novel would get called an "awful book."

Anyway, there are 11 comments. Warning: One comment has a spoiler about the 1956 movie. Btw, I didn't remember there was a 1985 TV movie.

2020-10-05 21:22:33 UTC
Yes. BTW the ending is entirely different.
A Friend
2020-10-05 21:19:18 UTC
Why the hell not?
Lenona
2020-10-06 00:34:10 UTC
Post by A Friend
Post by Lenona
"I'm sorry, we don’t have a special summer reading program for the gifted.”
Why the hell not?
Well, the logical assumption would be that in the average community, there aren't enough requests to justify the time and expense for such a program. Besides, why couldn't gifted students just sit with older students in THEIR summer reading program? Or read to themselves at home, if they're actually motivated?

Also, I've done plenty of library volunteering, and I never heard of programs for ANY gifted students.

Lenona
A Friend
2020-10-06 02:22:35 UTC
Post by Lenona
Post by A Friend
Post by Lenona
"I'm sorry, we don’t have a special summer reading program for the gifted.”
Why the hell not?
Well, the logical assumption would be that in the average community, there
aren't enough requests to justify the time and expense for such a program.
Besides, why couldn't gifted students just sit with older students in THEIR
summer reading program? Or read to themselves at home, if they're actually
motivated?
Also, I've done plenty of library volunteering, and I never heard of programs
for ANY gifted students.
Perhaps "program" isn't what I mean. I don't know why librarians can't
construct reading lists for bright kids, though. I type this as a kid
who was given a reading test the week I entered first grade,
demonstrated a fifth-grad reading level (I'd been reading since I was
three), and then was stuck in the class with everyone else doing See
Spot run, run run run. I can still summon the boredom and frustration
of it. I'm not saying they had to put me in fifth grade. I am saying
that the damn nun could have let me read a real book while the other
niblets were Seeing Spot run.

The writer Fred Pohl once said that he loved to read because his mother
had taught him how, and so he never experienced how schools turn
reading into a damned chore. Me too.