Bubba Smith
Add Reply
heidilee2
2011-08-04 00:05:28 UTC
:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/03/bubba-smith-dies-at-66/

ProFootballTalk
NBC Sports
ProFootballTalkHardballTalkProBasketballTalkCollegeFootballTalkProHockeyTalkProGolfTalkOff
the BenchInside the IrishHomeLatest News & RumorsFantasy MillPFT Live
SegmentsTurd Watch

Police BlotterSuspensionsTeams

AFC Teams

BaltimoreBuffaloCincinnatiClevelandDenverHoustonIndianapolisJacksonvilleKansas
CityMiamiNew EnglandNY JetsOaklandPittsburghSan DiegoTennesseeNFC
Teams

ArizonaAtlantaCarolinaChicagoDallasDetroitGreen BayMinnesotaNew
OrleansNY GiantsPhiladelphiaSt. LouisSan FranciscoSeattleTampa
BayWashingtonDraft

Draft Order ChartDraft Trade ChartCFTOther Stuff

Radio ScheduleAbout

ContactFeedsAdvertisingPrivacy PolicyPFT GearBubba Smith dies at 66
Posted by Michael David Smith on August 3, 2011, 6:28 PM EDT
Charles Aaron “Bubba” Smith, the No. 1 overall pick in the 1967 NFL
draft who later found fame as an actor, has died at the age of 66.

After ending an All-American career at Michigan State in 1966, Smith
was taken first in the draft by the Baltimore Colts. He played on
Baltimore’s defensive line for five years, then was traded to the
Oakland Raiders, where he played in 1973 and 1974, and finished his
career with the Houston Oilers in 1975 and 1976.

The 6-foot-7, 265-pound Smith was one of the biggest players of his
era. He won a ring at Super Bowl V and went to two Pro Bowls.

After retiring, Smith became an actor. He was best known for playing
Moses Hightower in the first six Police Academy movies.

No cause of death has been determined, but officials said they believe
Smith died of natural causes.

Football Live - Rumors
Email Previous: The Eagles can’t stop signing playersNext: NFL, NFLPA
continue to work toward completing CBA27 Responses to “Bubba Smith
dies at 66”
dawkinseffect says:
Aug 3, 2011 6:30 PM
Sad to see someone die of “Natural Causes” at 66. He will be missed

1031 i
Rate This
drbengolfing says:
Aug 3, 2011 6:31 PM
RIP I loved your work on the field and on the screen. I hope it was a
peaceful passing.

1121 i
Rate This
hobartbaker says:
Aug 3, 2011 6:34 PM
Charles Aaron completely changed the perception of “Bubba” in the mind
of America.

491 i
Rate This
tfbuckfutter says:
Aug 3, 2011 6:35 PM
Man.

It shoulda been Guttenberg.

4930 i
Rate This
jersey73 says:
Aug 3, 2011 6:38 PM
Sad. A great football player, a fun actor…and according to teammates,
one of the nicest guys you’ll ever meet.

771 i
Rate This
thereisalwaysnextyear says:
Aug 3, 2011 6:40 PM
” He was best known for playing Moses Hightower in the first six
Police Academy movies.”

Good lord how many of those freaking movies did they make?

842 i
Rate This
dogsweat1 says:
Aug 3, 2011 6:45 PM
Taste Great or Less Filling?

Anybody remember him doing the Lite Beer ads?

711 i
Rate This
johnnycamparm says:
Aug 3, 2011 6:45 PM
What a shame. I’m way to young to have watched him play football, but
I love Police Academy. He was such a lovable character, and seemed
like an all around nice guy. R.I.P Bubba.

490 i
Rate This
newagerocker says:
Aug 3, 2011 6:46 PM
RIP Bubba

LOL @tfbuckfutter

615 i
Rate This
1bigtex says:
Aug 3, 2011 6:46 PM
My grandparents taught school in the same town where Bubba’s dad was a
high school coach. Willie Sr. was highly respected. Bubba’s oldest
brother, Willie Jr., was Gale Sayers blocking back at Kansas and was
well on his way to a pro career himself until a knee injury took him
out. 66 is way too young to be checking out. Vaya con dios.

400 i
Rate This
mempusa says:
Aug 3, 2011 6:48 PM
I just looked him up on Sunday.
Rest in Peace Hightower!!!

230 i
Rate This
quizguy66 says:
Aug 3, 2011 6:49 PM
RIP Bubba – he was great in those movies!

-QG

200 i
Rate This
The Buffer Zone says:
Aug 3, 2011 6:50 PM
NOOO!!

Growing up in Baltimore in the 80s, he was such a figure from hearing
stories about him playing before i was born and watching him on the
Police Academy movies and local commercials…definitely sad…especially
at 66…

320 i
Rate This
slickster35 says:
Aug 3, 2011 6:52 PM
RIP big Bubba.

The good die young.

340 i
Rate This
broncotis3000 says:
Aug 3, 2011 6:53 PM
Too bad…One of the dominant players of his time..R.I.P Hightower…

260 i
Rate This
pooflingingmonkey says:
Aug 3, 2011 6:53 PM
@jersey73 says: Aug 3, 2011 6:38 PM

“Sad. A great football player, a fun actor…and according to teammates,
one of the nicest guys you’ll ever meet.”

I’ll second that. I met Smith in LA in the late eighties at a charity
function, He was friendly, smart and very soft spoken.

Great guy.

281 i
Rate This
iflounder says:
Aug 3, 2011 6:53 PM
that’s too bad. he was also in one of my favorite episodes of married
with children. that showdown with him and al was tv at its best.

320 i
Rate This
seneca1ss says:
Aug 3, 2011 6:59 PM
All the chemicals in our food and water and they consider that
“Natural Causes” (Fleeced by the U.S. Gov’t)

1130 i
Rate This
Robert Chandler says:
Aug 3, 2011 7:07 PM
I was in awe of him when he was in his prime. And I’ll never forget
his terribly unfortunate injury, when he ruined his knee by crashing
into the first down marker. I believe that gruesome injury prompted
the NFL to change the poles from metal to a more flexible plastic. I
saw that game live and all these years later, still cringe when I
recall that freak incident. He returned to play at a high level, but
was never the same.

231 i
Rate This
jebdamone says:
Aug 3, 2011 7:07 PM
RIP officer hightower. loved you, both on the field and in your movie
and television appearances.

141 i
Rate This
daviddmsvcp says:
Aug 3, 2011 7:14 PM
My condolences. He was a sports hero to a lot of people. A great
player from a great era of the NFL.

140 i
Rate This
timegambit says:
Aug 3, 2011 7:20 PM
He motivated me to read his book, “Kill, Bubba, Kill!” from cover to
cover. A feat that scores of teachers after that failed to accomplish.

I loved the scene in Police Academy where they had to remove the front
seat of a car so he could fit in it.

100 i
Rate This
duckman62 says:
Aug 3, 2011 7:21 PM
He was one of the main reasons I played football in High School and
College. Both he and Lyle Alzado were the people I so wanted to be
like. Thank you for giving me (and all of us who enjoyed all you did
on the field and off the field!) so much!

120 i
Rate This
radrntn says:
Aug 3, 2011 7:24 PM
he was favorite of mine as a kid..,…..big ol bubba

60 i
Rate This
mr4thand1 says:
Aug 3, 2011 7:28 PM
Rest In Peace, Bubba……you will be missed.

“Tastes great, Less filling!”

90 i
Rate This
ryanw822 says:
Aug 3, 2011 7:34 PM
Bubba Smith!

Billy Martin!

51 i
Rate This
democratsarestupid says:
Aug 3, 2011 7:45 PM
R.I.P to one of the true Colts

50 i
Rate This
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to leave a comment. Not a member? Register now!

On Wednesday's Show:
CSNWashington.com Redskins Insider Ryan O'Halloran, plus PFT Planet
calls, tweets, & e-mails
Site ToolsSend ScoopMain FeedArchived PageSend feedbackLogin/
RegisterAdd to FacebookFollow on Twitter Latest Lockout PostsSource:
Goodell refuses to yield authority over personal conduct policy
NFL, NFLPA continue to work toward completing CBA
11 teams still have $20 million or more in cap room
Eller plaintiffs not going away quietly
Sources: Disclosure of rookie scale formula by NFLPA nearly blew up
settlement
Football Tickets
Super Bowl Tickets

Pro Bowl Tickets
10
Days without an arrest
Check the police blotter »
NBC Sports HeadlinesBest in West? Giants alone in 1st again
HBT: A-Rod could be suspended over poker games
McGehee belts 3 HRs as Brewers top Cardinals
Halladay gets 14th win as Phillies sweep Rockies
PFT: Ex-No. 1 pick, actor Bubba Smith, 66, dies
PFT: Lions' Fairley out big part of training cam
PFT: Orton will start at QB for Broncos
Newcomer Furbush helps Mariners beat A's 7-4
Uggla leads Braves to 6-4 win over Nationals
PFT Most Commented1.Eagles land Nnamdi Asomugha (265)
2.Cardinals give up huge bounty to acquire Kolb (259)
3.Eagles land Cullen Jenkins (244)
4.Rob Ryan vows to “beat the ass” of “the all-hype team” (212)
5.Seahawks sign Zach Miller (186)
6.Ronnie Brown heads to the Eagles (179)
7.Sidney Rice picks the Seahawks (177)
8.Redskins trade Albert Haynesworth to Patriots (169)
9.Vince Young declares the Eagles to be a “Dream Team” (169)
10.Ochocinco is headed to New England (168)
.PFT Latest News and Rumors
Ravens can’t find a healthy center
Jets keep Brodney Pool
NFL, NFLPA continue to work toward completing CBA
Bubba Smith dies at 66
The Eagles can’t stop signing players
Dimitri Patterson lands in Cleveland
PFT Features
The Pro Football Hall of Fame classes of 2012 and beyond
Signing status of first-round picks
10 takes on the Kolb trade
Release tracker
Acquisition tracker
Top 80 Free Agents
Subscribe
All ContentLatest News and RumorsFeaturesRadio ScheduleThis is an
unofficial and independent source of news and information not
affiliated with any team(s) or the National Football League (NFL).

Copyright © 2010-2011 NBC Sports. Images provided by Getty Images.
Powered by WordPress.com VIP.

Corrections. Independent Programming Report.
Topic Cop