OT (barely) Virginia Beach: Man gets 10 years - he should get more!
Add Reply
Lenona
2020-09-14 01:46:11 UTC
I mean, maybe he shouldn't have been granted a driver's license in the first place?

Granted, the sentence is SORT of longer than that...

As you'll see, this was a while ago.

https://www.wavy.com/news/man-sentenced-to-10-years-for-crash-he-claimed-was-a-suicide-attempt/

Man sentenced to 10 years for crash he claimed was a suicide attempt
by: Sarah Fearing

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WAVY) – A 21-year-old man who said he was trying to kill himself when he hit another vehicle head-on on First Colonial Road in January has been sentenced to a decade in prison.

Matthew Rushin, a former resident of Virginia Beach, was sentenced Wednesday to 50 years in prison with 40 years suspended, leaving an active term of 10 years, said Macie Allen, spokeswoman for the Virginia Beach Commonwealth’s Attorney’s Office.

He pleaded guilty on Aug. 9 to several charges, including hit-and-run with injuries and two counts of malicious wounding. He was previously charged with attempted murder.

Rushin’s sentence exceeds the recommended term under the Virginia State Sentencing Guidelines, which suggested he serve no more than six years and four months.

According to Allen, the incident occurred Jan. 4. when Rushin struck another moving vehicle in a parking lot on Laskin Road in Virginia Beach then fled the scene.

After the hit-and-run, he then went onto First Colonial Road, driving recklessly, passing traffic and speeding, Allen said.

Rushin drove to the other side of the road when he reached a break in the median and struck another vehicle head-on. The vehicle was carrying a husband and wife who were visiting the area from New York.

After striking the New York couple’s vehicle, Rushin’s vehicle also hit a Honda Element with another couple.

The New York couple suffered significant injuries. The husband’s injuries were severe enough that he still remains in a medical facility as of Wednesday, Allen said. The couple in the Honda Element were treated and released later the same night as the crash.

When officers arrived at the scene of the crash, Rushin said he was trying to kill himself. Investigation revealed he was driving about 65 mph and did not apply his brakes before the crash. He tried to run following the collision, but several bystanders held him down until police arrived.

Prosecutors have previously said Rushin has a history of attempted suicide, and has a traumatic brain injury along with Asperger syndrome and attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).
Lenona
2020-09-14 02:06:38 UTC
In all fairness, here's another perspective "published with permission — and in collaboration with — Matthew Rushin’s mother, Lavern."

https://themighty.com/2020/07/matthew-rushin-autistic-car-accident-arrest/

And...hundreds of people marched to say he should be set FREE!

https://www.pilotonline.com/news/vp-nw-matthew-rushin-march-20200614-yla3fosnzrawjls6g7qhd6azni-story.html

It seems that, two years before the arrest, he was in an accident and a coma and later, rehab. However, that doesn't change the following about his victim:

"Matthew Rushin, now 21, pleaded guilty last year to two counts of malicious wounding and felony hit and run. The charges stemmed from a Jan. 4, 2019, car crash that put 72-year-old George Cusick in a coma for nearly two months.
"Cusick is no longer able to talk or feed himself and doesn’t recognize his family, witnesses said at Rushin’s sentencing hearing."
radioacti...@gmail.com
2020-09-14 04:04:47 UTC
Thanks for alerting us to this, Lenona, as well as that sickening follow-up his mother finagled.

But you needn't have done the second one "in all fairness"--this jerk got a lot more fairness than he deserved. And of course you're correct--a decade is too little for this mild-mannered monster.

2020-09-14 18:21:50 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
Thanks for alerting us to this, Lenona, as well as that sickening
follow-up his mother finagled.
But you needn't have done the second one "in all fairness"--this
jerk got a lot more fairness than he deserved. And of course you're
correct--a decade is too little for this mild-mannered monster.
I realize that what I'm suggesting is impossible in our current system -
for a myriad of reasons, none of them fixable, but...

This is the sort of case where any sort of imprisonment is clearly the
wrong answer. This is the sort of case where they should either drop the
guy in the ocean or set him free. It's not like time in jail is going to
have any effect on him. There is no rehabilitation (if there, indeed, ever
is).

I feel this is pretty much the case with all psychopaths.
--
The people who were, are, and always will be, wrong about everything, are still
calling *us* "libtards"...

(John Fugelsang)
Terry del Fuego
2020-09-15 12:55:04 UTC
Post by Kenny McCormack
I feel this is pretty much the case with all psychopaths.
Maybe, but we have to at least *try* to make the headline "DISGRACED
EX-PRESIDENT FOUND DEAD ON PRISON TOILET" happen.
Kenny McCormack
2020-09-15 15:13:58 UTC
Post by Terry del Fuego
Post by Kenny McCormack
I feel this is pretty much the case with all psychopaths.
Maybe, but we have to at least *try* to make the headline "DISGRACED
EX-PRESIDENT FOUND DEAD ON PRISON TOILET" happen.
Yeah, I get where you're coming from.

I kinda like: IdioT dropped from 40,000 feet over South Pole.

Or something involving a "tricked out umbrella".

Wouldn't it be great if the first thing President Biden did was issue an
executive order saying that from this date forward, ex-presidents don't get
SS protection?

You know, as a cost-cutting move. That's all I mean.
--
The single most important statistic in the US today - the one that explains all the
others - is this: 63 million people thought it was a good idea to vote for this clown
could be fixed if we can revert this one statistic. Nothing can be fixed until we do.
Aje RavenStar
2020-09-15 16:33:59 UTC
Trump's Last Slump: Ex-CiC Cashes Out on Cell Throne ?
Dave Garrett
2020-09-16 01:34:01 UTC
Post by Terry del Fuego
Post by Kenny McCormack
I feel this is pretty much the case with all psychopaths.
Maybe, but we have to at least *try* to make the headline "DISGRACED
EX-PRESIDENT FOUND DEAD ON PRISON TOILET" happen.
People have been envisioning this sordid tableau since November 2016, to
wit:

https://twitter.com/jimllpaintit/status/796385445299056640
Dave
Terry del Fuego
2020-09-16 14:14:20 UTC
Post by Dave Garrett
People have been envisioning this sordid tableau since November 2016, to
https://twitter.com/jimllpaintit/status/796385445299056640
That is the most beautiful work of art I've ever seen in my life.