Michael J. Pollard, 80, Oscar-nominated actor ("Bonnie and Clyde")
2019-11-22 03:14:19 UTC
https://www.facebook.com/VintageLosAngeles/posts/2677870328936336
Vintage Los Angeles
11/21/19, 9:05 PM

I’ve just heard some sad news. I’ve been told we’ve lost character actor, MICHAEL J POLLARD. It was a pleasure getting to know Mike after my interview with him at the Million Dollar Theatre back in 2015. I had organized a screening of “Bonnie & Clyde” and although Mike seemed rather shy on that stage, you couldn’t keep your eyes off him.

We got to know each other after that. He was quite a character without knowing it. He walked EVERYWHERE and never repeated his stories because he had so many. The only thing he repeated was his love for Turner Classic Movies. And you could never call him after 7:30 because he’d be watching Jeopardy. We would have lunch at the La Brea Bakery and I would just sit and listen to his encounters with Marilyn Monroe, Warren Beatty, Janis Joplin, Oliver Reed, Sharon Tate, Robert Redford, and his accounts from his remarkable career in countless memorable TV shows and movies.

One night at Musso's, Mike and I recited GOODFELLAS line for line. He lived life on his terms. A gentle rebel. A wild pony. A timid squirrel in the park. That was Michael. I'll miss the calls on his flip phone and that cute little laugh.

This was that interview I conducted with Michael the night I met him. It was one of the more bizarre interviews I’ve done. I’d expect nothing less from Michael. Farewell my friend. You were an original.

(And here’s some interesting trivia. Mike helped Steve Winwood come up with the name “Low Spark of High-Heeled Boys” for the album and song. And the “J" in Michael J. Fox was in honor of Mr. Pollard.)

-Alison Martino
(Vintage Los Angeles)

https://www.facebook.com/VintageLosAngeles/posts/2677870328936336?comment_id=2677945598928809
Vintage Los Angeles
11/21/19, 9:53 PM
Posted earlier by his best friend Kevin Kelly.
I’m shaking my head. My friend MICHAEL passed away. (The actor, “Michael J. Pollard”) I thought he’d get better after he was hospitalized. i'm so sick, so sad. I’d just talked to him on the phone the other night. I made him laugh. He made me laugh. He was a real pal. A little fella, yeah, but not one to be messed with. He had a quick left hook right outta Newark, NJ. A most interesting actor of great charm. Worked with Bridgette Bardot. Told me he fell in love with her. Always found amusement and wonder in the moment, always found himself at the center of the universe- alive, spontaneous, free. His genius, was his alone. That’s why you couldn’t take your eyes offa him. He was his own kind of character. He couldnt help but steal the scene (usually without saying a word). When we walked around town, he’d always stop at a Catholic Church and if it was open he’d go inside to light a candle and say a prayer for the departed, make the sign of the cross, bow, and make an attempt at genuflecting. He was a light that shined down on us in his time. I don’t know what song Dylan is singing for you tonight Mike but tonight it’s your song, buddy. I love you, Mike, and I’ll always miss ya and I’ll always think the world of you. Good night.
That Derek
2019-11-22 03:27:23 UTC
Wasn't MJP once married to TV sitcom actress Beth Howland ("Vera" on the "Alice" show)? I really don't feel like IMdB-ing, Googling, or Wiki-ing either her nor Pollard.

Also, wasn't MJP in the TV sitcom "(The Many Loves of) Dobie Gillis" as somebody's brother or cousin?
v***@yahoo.com
2019-11-22 06:14:19 UTC
He played Maynard G. Krebs’ cousin. Bob Denver had been drafted, and in the event that he couldn’t get out of it, Pollard would’ve replaced him on the show as the resident beatnik. Denver reportedly went on a diet and slimmed down enough to flunk his physical....Pollard also played Gale Gordon’s nephew on “The Lucy Show” , in what was supposed to be a recurring character. However, Lucille Ball didn’t like Pollard’s quirky personality or his tendency toward ad libbing. He made only one appearance
Rick B.
2019-11-22 10:23:04 UTC
Yes, from 1961-69.
RH Draney
2019-11-22 10:34:51 UTC
Post by Rick B.
Post by That Derek
Wasn't MJP once married to TV sitcom actress Beth Howland ("Vera" on the
"Alice" show)?
Yes, from 1961-69.
And her second husband was Charles Kimbrough, who played stuffy
anchorman Jim Dial on "Murphy Brown" (Kimbrough, the sole survivor of
this trio, is the oldest of the three, which just serves to illustrate
that we don't all go out in the same order we came in)....r
Terry del Fuego
2019-11-22 13:39:48 UTC
I’ve just heard some sad news. I’ve been told we’ve lost character
actor, MICHAEL J POLLARD.
Was just thinking about him a week or so back while away from the
computer. Fully intended to look him up because I couldn't remember if
he was still around at the time.

Seems like there was a period 40+ years ago where he seemed to be in
everything, though maybe it was more a case of him having such a
distinctive face that you couldn't ignore him.

Bonk bonk on the head!
Rick B.
2019-11-22 13:59:13 UTC
Post by Terry del Fuego
Seems like there was a period 40+ years ago where he seemed to be in
everything, though maybe it was more a case of him having such a
distinctive face that you couldn't ignore him.
..and then from 1976-83 he had a total of three (3) roles per IMDB. What
happened?
That Derek
2019-11-22 15:28:26 UTC
This is my Michael J. Pollard story (several degrees removed):

Many years ago, I acquired a theatre programme for a 1957 Off-Broadway production of the 1675 comedy "The Country WIfe" by William Wycherley. In its cast were a pre-fame Michael J. Pollard, future "Andy Griffith Show" player Jack Dodson (billed as "John"), and Helen Harrelson, a Talking Books narratrix with whom I worked.

When I showed Ms. Harrelson this piece of ephemera, she noticed MJP's name and related a story about a teen-aged Pollard.

It seemed Pollard had a friend whose family had gone on vacation when some other mutual friends played a prank on the vacationing family. The friends sneaked into the unpopulated house carrying several boxes of Knox Colourless/Flavourless Gelatin, filled up the bathtub, mixed in the Knox gelatin, and departed.

The family returned and surmised that somebody in the household had filled the tub and never drained it. Weren't they surprised when the "water" turned out to be a tub full of jello!

Ms. Harrelson followed up her MJP story with comments to the effect of how this 1950s prank was pretty tame compared with "what kids get away with these days" (1994).

I found this story funny.
m***@gmail.com
I always liked the Andy Griffith Show episode with Pollard playing the klutzy cousin to Barney Fife.
Louis Epstein
2019-11-26 03:14:55 UTC
The flophouse manager who sets the busload of hillbillies in motion in
NEXT OF KIN?