Some cows
2018-10-01 20:13:34 UTC
If you read down at the bottom, this apparently happens all the time
in Atlanta.

https://www.ajc.com/news/traffic/breaking-overturned-livestock-trailer-shuts-down-285-ramp-cobb-county/SWEmKHP3hZ8I2KLlhpjsEN/
11 cows killed, 77 rounded up after truck overturns, snarls I-285
traffic

Dozens of cows roamed free on Atlanta interstates Monday after a
tractor-trailer hauling them overturned, setting off an hours-long
roundup effort through two metro counties.

The truck was carrying 89 calves from Florida to northwest Georgia
when it tipped over on the I-285 East ramp at the I-75 interchange in
Cobb County. Some of the animals were trapped in the truck, while
dozens more spilled onto the interstate.

Several were hit by drivers coming around the curve of the exit ramp,
according to authorities. Eleven cows were killed and one is still
missing, according to the Georgia department of Agriculture.

The driver of the tractor-trailer was taken to an area hospital with
injuries. The condition of the driver was not known Monday afternoon.

At one point, all lanes of the I-285 Inner Loop were shut down, the
WSB 24-hour Traffic Center reported. Lanes started reopening about
5:50 a.m. By 6:20 a.m., all lanes were cleared, but the ramp was not
reopened until 1:30 p.m.

The cattle will be transported to a facility in Calhoun once the
missing cow turns up, Delk said.

“It is possible the missing cows could be in the area of Sandy Springs
where some of the cows managed to roam before being captured earlier
today,” Delk said in a statement. Anyone who spots them is asked to
call 911.

During the height of the hoopla, Sandy Springs police told Channel 2
Action News as many as 70 cows could be roaming the area of the
Chattahoochee River. Drivers on their way to work were reporting cow
sightings along I-285 and I-75 in Cobb and Fulton counties.

Some proved difficult to contain. One of the cows made it to I-75
North at Cumberland Boulevard, where it charged at teams trying to
corral it in a construction zone, the news station reported. One man
was trampled when the cow bolted. It is not clear if he sustained
injuries.

Another two cows were spotted by officers at a SunTrust bank branch on
I-285 and New Northside Drive, according to Channel 2.

Local ranchers on horseback volunteered to help with the roundup.

“We are trying to corral them as best we can,” Delk told AJC.com. “If
we can’t corral them, at least keep an eye on them and keep them in
sights until they can be picked up.”

The Georgia Department of Transportation was handling bovine
transport. Crews with Cobb County fire and GDOT used a saw to cut
through the wreckage and free the cows still trapped on the truck.

The cows were then herded onto vehicles to be removed from the crash
site. It was not known if any of the trapped cows were injured.

The 10-hour cleanup turned the Westside Perimeter into a parking lot
during the Monday morning commute and caused major delays through the
lunchtime drive.

Authorities are still looking into the cause of the crash. After a
preliminary investigation, it does not appear speed was a factor, Delk
told AJC.com

This is not the first time a truck spilled its bovine cargo on Atlanta
interstates. In May, a tractor-trailer hit a sound barrier on I-75
North near Kennesaw, shutting down the interstate for hours and
killing 10 cows.

One month later, three cows were killed and dozens others were trapped
in a crash on the ramp from I-285 South to I-20 East in DeKalb County.
W.C. Green
2018-10-02 12:37:30 UTC
Post by David Carson
If you read down at the bottom, this apparently happens all the time
in Atlanta.
https://www.ajc.com/news/traffic/breaking-overturned-livestock-trailer-shuts-down-285-ramp-cobb-county/SWEmKHP3hZ8I2KLlhpjsEN/
11 cows killed, 77 rounded up after truck overturns, snarls I-285
traffic
This is why we need the Trans-Georgia Bovine Pipeline--to stop the
dangerous and expensive trucking of cows through our major cities.
Build the pipeline! Build it now!