Semi-OT: Bittersweet "missing-child" story
Add Reply
Lenona
2024-09-23 22:02:31 UTC
I can't imagine what else to add - other than what the shady people on
the East Coast are refusing to tell the poor man. (We'll likely never
know all the criminal details - and neither will he.)

His name: Luis Albino.

"Boy abducted in Oakland more than 70 years ago found living on East
Coast"

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2024-09-21/boy-abducted-in-oakland-more-than-70-years-ago-found-living-on-east-coast

And this raises a question. We've all heard of desperate "adoptive"
parents and black-market babies, plus the crime of newborns being
kidnapped from hospitals by strangers (and sometimes even by nurses),
but how often do older children in the U.S. get kidnapped, per se, for
that particular purpose?

I'm guessing it's always been a pretty rare crime.
Lenona
2024-09-23 22:38:57 UTC
Btw, according to this -

- the nurse/kidnapper Norma Jean Armistead died in 2015, at age 84.

(Her story was fictionalized in the 1993 TV movie "Empty Cradle,"
starring Kate Jackson, Lori Loughlin and Eriq La Salle as a detective. I
first read the story in the early 1980s, in Reader's Digest.)

A bit more on Armistead, from 2008 to 2020:

https://groups.google.com/g/alt.obituaries/c/mN2dUO3UW6w/m/YS9IPCxJAQAJ