DeathWatch - Jethro Tull frontman Ian Anderson reveals 'incurable lung disease' diagnosis: 'My days are numbered'
Congoleum Breckenridge
2020-05-17 20:34:00 UTC
https://www.freep.com/story/entertainment/celebrities/2020/05/14/ian-anderson-jethro-tull-frontman-reveals-incurable-lung-disease/5189354002/

Ian Anderson revealed he is suffering from chronic obstructive pulmonary
disease (COPD), a disease that causes obstructed airflow from the lungs,
making it difficult to breathe.

In an interview with Dan Rather on "The Big Interview" Wednesday, the
Jethro Tull frontman discussed his health struggles.

"I'm going to tell you something I've never told anybody in public
before," he said. "I'm suffering from an incurable lung disease with
which I was diagnosed a couple of years back."

He continued, "I do struggle. I have what are called exacerbation
periods where I get an infection and it turns into severe bronchitis and
I have maybe two or three weeks of (it being) really a tough job to go
onstage and play.”

He said that he is on medication and has gone 18 months without an
exacerbation, adding that he does "OK" if he stays in a "reasonably
pollution-free environment in terms of air quality."

"But... my days are numbered," he added calmly. "It's not yet at the
point that (it) affects my day-to-day life... so it's not got that bad
yet, but I'm 72."

Jethro Tull, which formed in 1967 and made a signature twist of hard
rock and folk, are known for hits "Locomotave Breath," "Aqualung" and
"Living in the Past."
Terry del Fuego
2020-05-17 22:14:37 UTC
On Sun, 17 May 2020 16:34:00 -0400, Congoleum Breckenridge
Post by Congoleum Breckenridge
Ian Anderson revealed he is suffering from chronic obstructive pulmonary
disease (COPD), a disease that causes obstructed airflow from the lungs,
making it difficult to breathe.
He's a former chain smoker who often already had one going as he made
his stage entrance. Yet, according to
<https://www.nydailynews.com/snyde/ny-ian-anderson-dying-20200514-futsnoyp55e5rjohfn3jaum3xq-story.html>,
he blames on-stage smoke machines for his condition.

(I'm a fan, but get real, Ian!)

"Flying so high trying to remember how many cigarettes did I bring
along."
Louis Epstein
2020-05-17 22:23:40 UTC
[...]
Sounds more like Healthwatch than Deathwatch territory...something
"not yet at the point that it affects my everyday life" does not
have the "will die within days" connotations this newsgroup expects
from Deathwatches.

I see commercials aimed at people with COPD...they're plainly
not on their deathbeds.

2020-05-17 22:24:18 UTC
COPD ... ?

No! There's no way I'm going to make an "Aqualung" joke !!!

Anybody else?
Adam H. Kerman
2020-05-18 06:00:27 UTC
I bid 10 cents.
RH Draney
2020-05-18 10:48:52 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by That Derek
COPD ... ?
No! There's no way I'm going to make an "Aqualung" joke !!!
Anybody else?
I bid 10 cents.
Actually, all three of the song titles mentioned at the close of the
original post can be seen as ironic....r