Izutsu Oyakata dead
2019-09-16 17:57:16 UTC
The Izutsu oyakata born June 18th 1961 died of pancreatic cancer on
September 16th 2019.
Of the Fukuzono family,he reached sekiwake rank as Sakahoko before
succeeding his father,who had reached sekiwake rank as Tsurugamine,
as Izutsu oyakata.His younger brother reached sekiwake rank as Terao
and for years held the record for most losses in makuuchi division history.
His elder brother wrestled as Kakureizan,as their father once had,
and never got above juryo,going into the chankonabe-restaurateur
fallback career so many sumotori have had.

Izutsu stable now has no coaches and only two wrestlers...one of them
being the recently-dropped-out-of-the-current-tournament yokozuna
Kakuryu.When the now-deceased oyakata inherited it had about 20
wrestlers...it goes back to the 19th century but may now fold...
not sure if ex-Terao,who now has his own stable,could merge and
carry on the name,or other arrangements have been made.

2019-09-16 19:41:13 UTC
A sumo wrestler?!

Why didn't you say so in the header so that I could have totally ignored this thresd?
RH Draney
2019-09-16 22:38:24 UTC
A sumo wrestler?!
Why didn't you say so in the header so that I could have totally ignored this thresd?
We should require such qarnings, for precisely that purpose, when the
obits posted are of baseball players, Indian political heroes, rap
musicians, and people given the death penalty but known for nothing
outside the crime that got them executed....

Oh, and "famous" people who have never been mentioned in the news other
than in Canada....r
Louis Epstein
2019-09-17 02:41:09 UTC
A sumo wrestler?!
Why didn't you say so in the header so that I could have totally ignored this thresd?
The header says "Izutsu Oyakata dead"...an "oyakata" is a sumo coach.
"Izutsu" is one of the better-known "toshiyori myoseki" (elder names)
as it has long been attached to being the "shisho" (head coach) of
a long-running "heya" (stable) (Izutsu-beya).

2019-09-16 20:45:08 UTC
Sounds like a Japanese sports car or something.
That Derek
2019-09-16 23:45:31 UTC
Post by Louis Epstein
Fukuzono family,he reached sekiwake rank as Sakahoko before
succeeding his father, who had reached sekiwake rank as Tsurugamine,
as Izutsu oyakata

At first, I thought the header name was someone involved in Japanese cinema ... samurai movies, monster films, anime, or an auteur on the order of Ozu and Kurosawa.

Then with all that unfamiliar terminology, I shifted to thinking the man was "yakuza." I just never knew that there actually were celebrity sumos well known here in the States.

Apropos o nothing, my reaction when Pokemon was all the craze was "With trends like this, who needs anime."