Richmond School teacher Dave Clark killed by cows
Add Reply
Big Mongo
2020-09-23 11:17:57 UTC
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-54261829

Richmond School teacher Dave Clark killed by cows

A deputy head teacher has been killed by cows while out walking.

Dave Clark was in a field in Richmond, North Yorkshire, when it happened on Monday evening. He was reportedly walking his dogs at the time.

In a tribute, head teacher Jenna Potter said Mr Clark was the "heart and soul" of Richmond School. "Our thoughts are with Dave's wife, his children and wider family at this difficult time."

Police say they are trying to establish the circumstances of his death.

The head teacher said: "He was an enormous character, a brilliant school leader and simply a lovely man who enriched the life of everyone he came into contact with, just by being himself and doing what he did every day."

She said Mr Clark had joined the secondary school in 1997 and was promoted to deputy head in 2003. She said he was highly regarded by colleagues and students and expected very high standards from every pupil.

"All of this Dave did with a smile and a level of kindness and care that is seldom seen," she added.

A spokesperson for North Yorkshire Police said the force had been called to a report of a man in his 50s being injured by cows in a field north of Richmond.

"He was treated by paramedics, but sadly he was pronounced dead at the scene."
The Health and Safety Executive has been informed, the force added.
Kenny McCormack
2020-09-23 11:46:26 UTC
Post by Big Mongo
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-54261829
Richmond School teacher Dave Clark killed by cows
Were there 5 of them?
--
Trump has normalized hate.

The media has normalized Trump.
Jason
2020-09-23 12:36:39 UTC
Post by Kenny McCormack
Post by Big Mongo
Richmond School teacher Dave Clark killed by cows
Were there 5 of them?
And were they taunting him thus?

Here we come again, mmmm-mm-mm
Catch us if you can, mmmm-mm-mm
Time to get a moooooove on, mmmm-mm-mm
Travoltron
2020-09-23 16:52:35 UTC
Post by Big Mongo
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-54261829
Richmond School teacher Dave Clark killed by cows
Was he really killed by cows, or was it actually bulls and the writer is
too ignorant to know the difference?
Adam H. Kerman
2020-09-23 17:02:00 UTC
Post by Travoltron
Post by Big Mongo
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-54261829
Richmond School teacher Dave Clark killed by cows
Was he really killed by cows, or was it actually bulls and the writer is
too ignorant to know the difference?
I thought the feminine "cows" and "cattle" are one of the rare examples
in which the feminine plural is used gender neutrally.
Travoltron
2020-09-23 17:12:39 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
I thought the feminine "cows" and "cattle" are one of the rare examples
in which the feminine plural is used gender neutrally.
Yes, but I've never heard of (female) cows killing anyone. If it was
bulls that did it they should say bulls.
Adam H. Kerman
2020-09-23 19:35:33 UTC
Post by Travoltron
Post by Adam H. Kerman
I thought the feminine "cows" and "cattle" are one of the rare examples
in which the feminine plural is used gender neutrally.
Yes, but I've never heard of (female) cows killing anyone. If it was
bulls that did it they should say bulls.
I think they can defend themselves with hooves. It's very difficult for
them to bite as their teeth are for mashing vegetables and not tearing
meat. One wouldn't expect a cow to attack, no.

I guess this kind of death is accidental but there's just no way the
deceased didn't bring it on himself. He really had to make himself into
a threat for the cow to defend herself.

"I was peacefully ambling across the pasture when a cow attacked me!" I
don't think so.

Yeah, it's possible to get trampled to death by stampeding cows but
that's not what's being discussed here.
Dave Garrett
2020-09-26 01:55:51 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by Travoltron
Post by Adam H. Kerman
I thought the feminine "cows" and "cattle" are one of the rare examples
in which the feminine plural is used gender neutrally.
Yes, but I've never heard of (female) cows killing anyone. If it was
bulls that did it they should say bulls.
I think they can defend themselves with hooves. It's very difficult for
them to bite as their teeth are for mashing vegetables and not tearing
meat. One wouldn't expect a cow to attack, no.
I guess this kind of death is accidental but there's just no way the
deceased didn't bring it on himself. He really had to make himself into
a threat for the cow to defend herself.
"I was peacefully ambling across the pasture when a cow attacked me!" I
don't think so.
Yeah, it's possible to get trampled to death by stampeding cows but
that's not what's being discussed here.
The Beeb article linked previously didn't provide a whole lot of facts,
to put it mildly. In an effort to answer the important question "what
happened to the dogs?", I found a much better piece which provides a lot
more background to the public menace of killer cows (although it still
doesn't say what happened to the dogs):

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/sep/23/farmers-union-issues-
warning-after-teacher-trampled-to-death-by-cows

https://preview.tinyurl.com/y4mmhw7x
Dave
Lenona
2020-09-23 18:32:13 UTC
I've heard that even cows can be pretty territorial, if, say, they're protecting their young.

But yes, I wish all the media would swear an oath to each other to use proper terms, grammar, etc. Yes, people would make fun of them for a month or two, but after that, parents and teachers just might start telling children to follow their example in that respect. Wouldn't that be great?

I mean, does anyone REALLY want the broadcasters at the BBC to use "like" ungrammatically - or start talking and writing like those at the Daily Mail?

2020-09-23 19:21:57 UTC
I'd settle for them not mangling the pronunciation of "karaoke"....r
Travoltron
2020-09-23 19:35:33 UTC
Post by RH Draney
I'd settle for them not mangling the pronunciation of "karaoke"....r
When I pronounce it correctly, people go, "What?"
I have to say "carry okie" for people to understand.
Kenny McCormack
2020-09-23 20:25:32 UTC
Post by Travoltron
Post by RH Draney
I'd settle for them not mangling the pronunciation of "karaoke"....r
When I pronounce it correctly, people go, "What?"
I have to say "carry okie" for people to understand.
I take it, the point you are making is that the first syllable is supposed
to be pronounced like "car" (as in automobile), rather than "care" (like in
"as if I should care"), right?

Anyway, dictionary.com gives the following as the phonetic spelling:

kar-ee-OH-kee

(using upper case to signify bold, meaning that the 3rd syllable gets the
stress).
--
Post by Travoltron
No, I haven't, that's why I'm asking questions. If you won't help me,
why don't you just go find your lost manhood elsewhere.
CLC in a nutshell.
Travoltron
2020-09-23 22:24:03 UTC
It should be car-ah-O-K
RH Draney
2020-09-23 23:16:05 UTC
Post by Travoltron
It should be car-ah-O-K
Yes...and native speakers of Japanese will further insist that the
language doesn't *have* accented syllables....r
Terry del Fuego
2020-09-23 20:59:54 UTC
No, because it implies that children will still be a thing.
Steve Hayes