Cathy Smith Dies: ‘Sundown’ Muse Who Injected John Belushi With Fatal Drug Dose Was 73
Add Reply
Big Mongo
2020-08-27 21:21:59 UTC
https://deadline.com/2020/08/cathy-smith-dead-obituary-john-belushi-drug-overdose-gordon-lightfoot-sundown-1203024794/

Cathy Smith Dies: ‘Sundown’ Muse Who Injected John Belushi With Fatal Drug Dose Was 73
By Greg Evans
Associate Editor/Broadway Critic

August 27, 2020 10:14am

Cathy Smith, the onetime girlfriend of singer-songwriter Gordon Lightfoot who might have been best remembered for inspiring the hit song “Sundown” had she not met up with John Belushi at the Chateau Marmont on March 5, 1982, died Aug. 18 at the age of 73.

Her death was reported by Canada’s The Globe and Mail. The longtime resident of Maple Ridge, British Columbia, had been on oxygen and in failing health the past few years, the newspaper said.

Smith, who had been a back-up singer (and occasional drug supplier) to the Canadian rockers who would later become The Band (she claimed “The Weight” was inspired by her), admitted to injecting Belushi with the heroin and cocaine that led to his death at age 33. In a 1986 plea bargain, she pleaded no contest to involuntary manslaughter and several drug charges and served a 15-month prison sentence at California Institution for Women. Upon release, she was deported to her native Canada, where she reportedly took a job in Toronto as a legal secretary.

Until Belushi’s death, Smith was known in rock music circles for singing back-up for Levon Helm, Rick Danko and Richard Manuel, later founding members of The Band, and in the early 1970s becoming Lightfoot’s girlfriend and muse. Lightfoot wrote the #1 1974 hit “Sundown” about his tumultuous, extramarital and occasionally violent relationship with Smith, the dark lyrics masked by a lilting, bluesy melody: “Sundown you better take care/If I find you been creepin’ ’round my back stairs.”

In the late 1970s, Smith was a back-up singer for country star Hoyt Axton, and, according to Wired, Bob Woodward’s 1984 biography of Belushi, sold drugs to the Rolling Stones’ Ron Wood and Keith Richards. Though she had briefly met Belushi when Lightfoot appeared on Saturday Night Live in 1976, she became reacquainted with the comedian through her dealings with Wood and Richards.

Smith was portrayed by Patti D’Arbanville in director Larry Peerce’s 1989 film adaptation of Woodward’s Wired starring Michael Chiklis as Belushi.

Smith was quickly reviled for her role in Belushi’s death (a sentiment that was largely avoided by Belushi’s male drug buddies, including friends Robin Williams and Robert De Niro, both of whom reportedly snorted cocaine with the comedian on the night of his death, according to Shawn Levy’s 2019 book The Castle on Sunset).

But at least one old friend remained loyal. In an interview this week with The Globe and Mail, Lightfoot said, “Cathy was a great lady. Men were drawn to her, and she used to make me jealous. But I don’t have a bad thing to say about her.”
RH Draney
2020-08-27 22:10:39 UTC
Not to be confused with fitness instructor Kathy Smith....r
Kenny McCormack
2020-08-28 16:24:08 UTC
Post by RH Draney
Cathy Smith Dies: Sundown Muse Who Injected John Belushi With Fatal Drug
Dose. She was 73.
Not to be confused with fitness instructor Kathy Smith....r
Or, any of the no doubt millions of people in various English-speaking
counties around the globe also sharing that name.
--
Which of these is the crazier bit of right wing lunacy?
1) We've just had another mass shooting; now is not the time to be talking about gun control.

2) We've just had a massive hurricane; now is not the time to be talking about climate change.
Louis Epstein
2020-08-30 05:05:34 UTC
Post by Kenny McCormack
Post by RH Draney
Cathy Smith Dies: Sundown Muse Who Injected John Belushi With Fatal Drug
Dose. She was 73.
Not to be confused with fitness instructor Kathy Smith....r
Or, any of the no doubt millions of people in various English-speaking
counties around the globe also sharing that name.
At least she's not the "The Second Amendment gives me the right to
shoot anyone who says it doesn't mean what I think it means" zealot
Cathy L.Z. Smith.

radioacti...@gmail.com
2020-08-30 12:35:45 UTC
Anyone know the backstory regarding the late Canuck Smith's nickname "Sundown"?

Thanks in advance!

BRYAN STYBLE/Florida
Big Mongo
2020-08-30 12:42:52 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
Anyone know the backstory regarding the late Canuck Smith's nickname "Sundown"?
Here ya' go....

https://musictoeat.com/2014/07/12/gordon-lightfoots-sundown/
Matthew Kruk
2020-08-30 12:54:06 UTC
https://supernaturalhippie.com/2019/09/24/classic-seventies-music-sundown-by-gordon-lightfoot/
Topic Cop
2020-08-31 05:11:15 UTC
Post by Big Mongo
[...]
Rest in peace, this legend's legacy will continue to live on.