Doran William Cannon, "Skidoo" screenwriter
Stephen Bowie
2005-06-21 15:11:48 UTC
Doran William Cannon, sole credited writer on two key "head" films of
late '60s and early '70s, died March 12 at age 68, according to the
WGA-west member newsletter. Cannon wrote the widely-reviled "Skidoo"
for Otto Preminger and "Brewster McCloud" for Robert Altman. He also
had credits on "Hex," another oddball film from the early '70s, and a
television adaptation of "Brave New World." Cannon went to Columbia
University in New York, where he wrote and directed a student film,
"Going Up," and then an indie feature, "The Square Root of Zero." In
recent years he taught screenwriting.

Some of the above was cribbed from the AMPAS/Margaret Herrick Library's
bio of Cannon, who donated his papers to the library, along with "audio
cassettes of story conferences between Cannon and Otto Preminger during
the production of Skidoo" (!). Which, truly, would have to be more
entertaining than the movie, right?
Brad Ferguson
2005-06-21 17:53:52 UTC
and a television adaptation of "Brave New World."
If that was the one with Keir Dullea, it wasn't bad at all. But no one
should forgive him for "Skidoo."
Glitter Ninja
2005-06-21 18:17:12 UTC
Post by Brad Ferguson
and a television adaptation of "Brave New World."
If that was the one with Keir Dullea, it wasn't bad at all. But no one
should forgive him for "Skidoo."
Austin Pendleton *totally* saved that film.

Stacia
James Neibaur
2005-06-21 21:29:47 UTC
Glitter Ninja 6/21/05 1:17 PM
Post by Glitter Ninja
Post by Brad Ferguson
If that was the one with Keir Dullea, it wasn't bad at all. But no one
should forgive him for "Skidoo."
Austin Pendleton *totally* saved that film.
I have never seen Skidoo. I would like to see that, and would like to see
the ill-fated The Phynx as well (even if only for its cast).

JN
AndrewJ
2005-06-21 23:05:17 UTC
I don't think Skidoo was ever officially released on VHS (I have a tape
recorded from a TV airing), let alone DVD. My Lord, is it one whacked
out movie. Skidoo could ONLY have been made in 1968...

There was a rare Skidoo public screening in Philadelphia a few months
ago, using a print from the Otto Preminger estate. According to the
evening's host, Terry Southern (!) also had a hand in writing the
screenplay.
The only other decent thing about the film -- Harry Nilsson's music.
James Neibaur
2005-06-21 23:30:06 UTC
AndrewJ 6/21/05 6:05 PM
Post by AndrewJ
There was a rare Skidoo public screening in Philadelphia a few months
ago, using a print from the Otto Preminger estate. According to the
evening's host, Terry Southern (!) also had a hand in writing the
screenplay.
I thought Southern was dead

JN
AndrewJ
2005-06-22 01:02:25 UTC
Didn't mean to confuse anyone. Southern died in 1995 -- the host of the
Philly screening was Irv Slifkin, the author of "VideoHound's Groovy
Movies: Far-out Films of the Psychedelic Era."
a***@gmail.com

My name is Aaron Schulman and Doran William Cannon assigned me as Trustee of his estate. I am in the process of getting his huge body of IP off the ground. Nice to know there are fan groups out here to help spread the word. Please feel free to contact me regarding the IP.
d***@gmail.com
2017-04-06 14:42:00 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
Hello All,
My name is Aaron Schulman and Doran William Cannon assigned me as Trustee of his estate. I am in the process of getting his huge body of IP off the ground. Nice to know there are fan groups out here to help spread the word. Please feel free to contact me regarding the IP.
I knew Bill for a few years, early 80's up in the hills, H...a, his daughter, slightly too. Yet, I've never seen any of the films he was involved with. He had film rolls outside his home stacked in a makeshift lean-to shed. I wonder if they survived the elements. Pretty sure they were the rolls for Brewster McCloud and potentially neglected as, he was always willing to volunteer about how big of a flop it was.

A neat guy Bill, an interesting part of Hollyweird's history. Yet, when I knew him, Just in case people were to confuse his personality, identity or character as, although I have not seen his films, they sound a bit illucid. Bill was a straight guy, an pure professional, hard worker, on tight schedule day in, day out. If he had any flaw, that could have been it, too straight, and determined to be in charge. Perhaps, in my limited experience with Bill, superiority complex in his character, that may have caused a disconnect, perhaps, not in his writing abilities, but involvement in direction, producing and film making style. A self driven and determined man, who would cite, from personal experience; "When you get to the bottom,, there's no where left to go,, but up!".
sam sherman
2023-11-10 23:15:15 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
[...]
from- Sam Sherman

Re- Bill Cannon - Film Writer/Director

I was a longtime friend of Bill Cannon and truly appreciate his creative genius.

I would like to be in touch with anybody else who knew him and my best email is

***@sprynet.com

Cordially,

- Sam Sherman

radioacti...@gmail.com
2023-11-11 09:40:02 UTC
"Skidoo" was aired by TCM awhile back, and it's certainly something to behold. Its copious, rapid-fire cameos are reason enough to screen it, not to mention Groucho Marx--expired Friday, August 19, 1977, though few noticed as Presley was entombed in Memphis the previous day--doing a variation of his schtick toward the end of his career.

It's clearly in the realm of farce, but I couldn't figure out whether it's a half-baked comedy or a misfired satire. Can't say I liked "Skidoo" a whit, but it sure is interesting. And I do enjoy sometimes so-longing pals by saying, "23 skidoo!"

BRYAN STYBLE/Florida