Daryl Dragon, 76, the "Captain" from The Captain & Tennille
2019-01-02 23:35:09 UTC
https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/daryl-dragon-dead-dies-captain-and-tennille-1203097977/
JANUARY 2, 2019 2:42PM PT
Daryl Dragon, the ‘Captain’ of ’70s Duo Captain & Tennille, Dies at 76
By VARIETY STAFF

Daryl Dragon, the hat-wearing musician familiar to 1970s music fans as half of the bestselling duo the Captain & Tennille, died Tuesday in Prescott, Arizona at age 76.

Dragon’s ex-wife, Toni Tennille, “was with him as he took his last breath,” said Harlon Boll, a spokesperson for the singer. In a statement, Tennille said, “He was a brilliant musician with many friends who loved him greatly. I was at my most creative in my life when I was with him.”

Dragon died of renal failure, according to Boll.

“Love Will Keep Us Together,” the title track from the duo’s 1975 debut album, reached No. 1 in July of 1975 and won the top Record of the Year prize at the following year’s Grammy Awards. “Do That to Me One More Time,” the last of their big hits, also reached the top of the chart, in 1979. In the interval, the Captain & Tennille reached the top 10 with “Muskrat Love,” “The Way I Want to Touch You,” “Lonely Night (Angel Face)” and “Shop Around.”

His stage moniker was said to have been coined by Mike Love during the late ’60s and early ’70s period when Dragon was a keyboard player for the Beach Boys; the perennial captain’s hat followed to cement the persona.

The duo’s variety show ran for one season on ABC and was followed by a series of annual specials. Dragon, who was virtually a silent partner in the duo, was said to be uncomfortable being on television, which contributed to the demise of their well-viewed series in 1977.

Dragon and Tennille divorced in 2014, after being married for 39 years. Tennille released her memoir in 2016, and in an interview with People magazine about his medical condition in 2017, Dragon said he was working on an autobiography and “I am hoping I will have as much success with my own.”

Tennille’s spokesperson said “they remained in constant contact and were dear friends to the end… Toni has asked that all of Daryl’s many fans remember him as she does, with love and a grateful heart for the music they created together.”

Dragon is survived by a brother, Doug Dragon, and two nieces, Kelly Arbout and Renee Henn. Per Tennille’s spokesperson, Dragon had asked that there be no services.

© 2019 Penske Media Corporation
d***@gmail.com
2019-01-03 02:50:42 UTC
I don’t understand why divorce after 39 years of marriage...?

Sad story 😢
That Derek
2019-01-03 05:58:52 UTC
Read Toni Tennille's autobiography. Captain Dragon became wacky, reclusive, and hypochondriacal to the point where he was spending all their money on mail-order pills, cures, and herbal remedies.
Guilty Bastard
2019-01-03 14:33:27 UTC
He died from renal failure so he *was* sick.
Adam H. Kerman
2019-01-03 16:35:20 UTC
Post by Guilty Bastard
Post by That Derek
Read Toni Tennille's autobiography. Captain Dragon became wacky, reclusive, and hypochondriacal to the point where he was spending all their
money on mail-order pills, cures, and herbal remedies.
He died from renal failure so he *was* sick.
Uh, whoosh?

Approaching death, one's organs begin shutting down, so renal failure
means that the kidneys were the first to shut down, in the finding of
the autopsy.

It doesn't mean he died from complications of a disease that specifically
affects the kidneys for which the remedies he was trying would have
addressed. No one's analyzed his health over the years and whether there
was any basis for any aspect of his hypchondria.
David Carson
2019-01-03 20:35:07 UTC
On Thu, 3 Jan 2019 16:35:20 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman"
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Approaching death, one's organs begin shutting down, so renal failure
means that the kidneys were the first to shut down, in the finding of
the autopsy.
The way my vet explained to me is that you basically start out with
200% kidney function, because you only need one kidney. If one of them
completely fails, but the other one is still healthy, you're at 100%,
and going by a blood test alone, you will not show any reduced kidney
function. You only start showing reduced kidney function if your one
good one starts going bad. So, essentially, you could have been
suffering from a serious kidney problem for a long time without it
being evident from a blood test. This all assumes that you are a cat.

David Carson
RHDraney
2019-01-03 21:11:02 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Approaching death, one's organs begin shutting down, so renal failure
means that the kidneys were the first to shut down, in the finding of
the autopsy.
The way my vet explained to me is that you basically start out with
200% kidney function, because you only need one kidney. If one of them
completely fails, but the other one is still healthy, you're at 100%,
and going by a blood test alone, you will not show any reduced kidney
function. You only start showing reduced kidney function if your one
good one starts going bad. So, essentially, you could have been
suffering from a serious kidney problem for a long time without it
being evident from a blood test. This all assumes that you are a cat.
Or my grandmother...when one of her kidneys failed, they discovered that
the other had calcified decades earlier....r
Guilty Bastard
2019-01-04 04:13:51 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by Guilty Bastard
Post by That Derek
Read Toni Tennille's autobiography. Captain Dragon became wacky, reclusive, and hypochondriacal to the point where he was spending all their
money on mail-order pills, cures, and herbal remedies.
He died from renal failure so he *was* sick.
Uh, whoosh?
Approaching death, one's organs begin shutting down, so renal failure
means that the kidneys were the first to shut down, in the finding of
the autopsy.
It doesn't mean he died from complications of a disease that specifically
affects the kidneys for which the remedies he was trying would have
addressed. No one's analyzed his health over the years and whether there
was any basis for any aspect of his hypchondria.
I never read her book and it wasn't mentioned in the above post just
what he was taking remedies for. Maybe it was for his kidneys, or maybe
it wasn't.

He may have died from organ failure due to old age, or he may have died
from something that affects the renal system. Let me know if you find out.
Adam H. Kerman
Death really does affect the renal system.
Guilty Bastard
2019-01-04 16:34:14 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by Guilty Bastard
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by Guilty Bastard
Post by That Derek
[...]
Even a school kid knows that's only a theory. I demand proof!

Tho to be honest I wrote my first post kinda tongue-in-cheek. I was
thinking of the actor who has the words "I Told You I Was Sick!"
inscribed on his tombstone.
Kenny McCormack
2019-01-04 16:46:40 UTC
In article <q0o1u5$1q9t$***@gioia.aioe.org>,
Guilty Bastard <***@getaway.car> wrote:
Post by Guilty Bastard
Tho to be honest I wrote my first post kinda tongue-in-cheek. I was
thinking of the actor who has the words "I Told You I Was Sick!"
inscribed on his tombstone.
A couple of references to this quote:

(Somebody in Key West)
https://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g34345-d106028-i53300991-Key_West_Cemetery-Key_West_Florida_Keys_Florida.html

(Erma Bombeck)
https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/58582-written-on-her-tombstone-i-told-you-i-was-sick

Guessing it was original with Erma then copied by others (I have no
evidence or proof for this).
--
Those on the right constantly remind us that America is not a
democracy; now they claim that Obama is a threat to democracy.
JohnA

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2146080/Spike-Milligan-epitaph-Gravestone-quip-nations-favourite.html
MiNe109
2019-01-04 18:55:35 UTC
Post by Kenny McCormack
https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/58582-written-on-her-tombstone-i-told-you-i-was-sick
Guessing it was original with Erma then copied by others (I have no
Post by Kenny McCormack
evidence or proof for this).
Spike Mulligan has a similar "I told you I was ill!" but it's in Gaelic.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/southern_counties/3742443.stm
MJ Emigh
2019-01-04 18:08:56 UTC
At 76? Holy crap.....I'm closing in on old age. How?!? Wasn't it only about 10 years ago that I was a 20-year-old college student?
John M.
2019-01-06 15:52:28 UTC
Post by MJ Emigh
Post by Guilty Bastard
He may have died from organ failure due to old age
At 76? Holy crap.....I'm closing in on old age. How?!? Wasn't it only about 10 years ago that I was a 20-year-old college student?
I've heard (and know from experience) that inside every 60 year old
there is a 20 year old wondering, "What the fuck happened?!"
RHDraney
2019-01-06 22:27:27 UTC
Post by John M.
Post by MJ Emigh
Post by Guilty Bastard
He may have died from organ failure due to old age
At 76? Holy crap.....I'm closing in on old age. How?!? Wasn't it only about 10 years ago that I was a 20-year-old college student?
I've heard (and know from experience) that inside every 60 year old
there is a 20 year old wondering, "What the fuck happened?!"
I can still recall stumbling into the bathroom one night, catching a
glimpse of myself in the mirror, and thinking "what the hell is Dad
doing here?"...r

Terry del Fuego
2019-01-03 16:09:06 UTC
His father: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carmen_Dragon