Booth Tarkington's 150th anniversary today
2019-07-29 19:27:58 UTC
He was born today in 1869, in Indianapolis, where he also died - in 1946.

(I knew of him, as a kid, only because of "The Illustrated Treasury of Children's Literature," which had chapter 10 from "Penrod." The novel - which I read later - is somewhat fun even today, but unfortunately, not something you'd let a kid read without supervision, given the casual racism.)

From Wikipedia:

Newton Booth Tarkington (July 29, 1869 – May 19, 1946) was an American novelist and dramatist best known for his novels The Magnificent Ambersons and Alice Adams. He is one of only three novelists to win the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction more than once, along with William Faulkner and John Updike. Although he is little read now, in the 1910s and 1920s he was considered America's greatest living author. Several of his stories were adapted to film. He served one term in the Indiana House of Representatives, was critical of the advent of automobiles, and set many of his stories in the Midwest. He eventually removed to Kennebunkport, Maine where he continued his life work even as he faced a loss of vision...

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/73021.Booth_Tarkington
(reader reviews)

https://www.encyclopedia.com/people/literature-and-arts/american-literature-biographies/booth-tarkington
(includes bio)

https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/author/169
(his works)

Recent articles, including a Q&A:

https://www.loa.org/news-and-views/1538-thomas-mallon-on-booth-tarkington-he-sees-things-through-to-their-bitter-true-conclusion

https://www.loa.org/news-and-views/1541-booth-tarkington-the-need-of-money

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0850483/
(you'll be amazed how long this filmography is - I knew about "The Magnificent Ambersons" and the two Doris Day movies, but not most of the others!)

2019-07-29 21:48:28 UTC
George Orwell + Booth Tarkington = Arthur C. Clarke.

That is, 1984 + 17 = 2001.