Roger Angell - healthwatch?
Add Reply
Dave Garrett
2018-10-30 03:22:45 UTC
For the first time in as long as I can remember, the New Yorker's
coverage of the World Series appeared under the byline of someone other
than 98-year-old legend Roger Angell, who has been a contributor there
for an incredible 74 years.

I've been wondering about his health for some time, after noticing that
no new pieces had appeared by him since May. His output has gotten
shorter and more infrequent in recent years, but I didn't really get
concerned until he was a no-show for Series coverage. Given that he's
one of the most respected baseball writers to ever put pen to paper,
it's hard to escape the feeling that it would have to be something
significant to keep him from the Fall Classic, unless he simply opted to
quietly retire without any fanfare.

Anyone heard how he's doing these days?
Dave
bill van
2018-10-30 08:01:27 UTC
Post by Dave Garrett
For the first time in as long as I can remember, the New Yorker's
coverage of the World Series appeared under the byline of someone other
than 98-year-old legend Roger Angell, who has been a contributor there
for an incredible 74 years.
I've been wondering about his health for some time, after noticing that
no new pieces had appeared by him since May. His output has gotten
shorter and more infrequent in recent years, but I didn't really get
concerned until he was a no-show for Series coverage. Given that he's
one of the most respected baseball writers to ever put pen to paper,
it's hard to escape the feeling that it would have to be something
significant to keep him from the Fall Classic, unless he simply opted to
quietly retire without any fanfare.
Anyone heard how he's doing these days?
No, but he's 98 years old. I think he can retire whenever he wants.

bill