Mike Kennedy, 59, drummer for George Strait
2018-09-03 01:12:59 UTC
https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2018/08/31/40-delays-wilson-county-crash/1162750002/
George Strait's drummer Mike Kennedy killed in Lebanon crash
Sandy Mazza, Nashville Tennessean Published 5:37 p.m. CT Aug. 31, 2018 | Updated 12:14 p.m. CT Sept. 2, 2018

Michael A. Kennedy, George Strait's longtime drummer, was killed in a car crash on Interstate 40 in Lebanon on Friday.

Kennedy, 59, of Baxter, was driving westbound in a 1999 GMC near mile marker 238 in Wilson County when the crash occurred just before 4 p.m., according to Tennessee Highway Patrol officials.

Kennedy drummed for Strait's Ace in the Hole Band for nearly 30 years.

"Our hearts are broken," Strait said in an email. "It’s going to be very strange not being able to look over and see him there in his spot on stage and very emotional as well I’m sure for all of us and also his fans. The band will never be the same. A part of us is gone forever. We all loved Mike and will miss him terribly. He was just as solid a friend to us all as he was a drummer, and that was damn solid. Our hearts and prayers are with his family. The Lord has him now. Rest In Peace my friend."

His GMC hit a tractor-trailer as it merged into another lane, according to THP's preliminary crash report. The tractor-trailer then hit a Chevrolet Silverado.

Kennedy was not wearing a seat belt, but investigators said it wouldn't have saved him anyway.

No one else was injured in the crash.

Several lanes of traffic were blocked during the investigation, causing delays for hours.

Kennedy played with Barbara Fairchild and Ricky Skaggs before backing Strait.

"I played with my dad's band from the time I was 7 to the time I was 15," Kennedy said in a YouTube video promotion for Zildjian Cymbals three years ago. "Then he turned me loose and said: 'Go on out and spoil the world, son, you're too good for my band.' So I did that."
That Derek
2018-09-03 03:53:12 UTC
Is he now playing with the Dead Kennedys
Michael OConnor
2018-09-03 05:40:15 UTC
Is he now playing with the Dead Kennedys
It's gotta be a better gig than the Lee Harvey Oswald band:

https://www.last.fm/music/Lee+Harvey+Oswald+Band/+images/f3d90b2a445a461c8d61b80aaea43f8e
That Derek
2018-09-03 16:23:31 UTC
There was a Hoboken-based new wave band named Blotto during the late 1970s/early 1980s. All the members adopted the surname "Blotto," a la the Ramones. One of these guys went by the name "Lee Harvey Blotto."

Here's a YouTube link to Blotto's most recognizable song "I Want to Be a Lifeguard":

David Samuel Barr
2018-09-04 01:48:50 UTC
There was a Hoboken-based new wave band named Blotto during the late 1970s/early 1980s.
Actually, they were (and still are) from Albany, NY,
not Hoboken, NJ.
Post by That Derek
All the members adopted the surname "Blotto," a la the Ramones. One of these guys went
by the name "Lee Harvey Blotto."
The drummer, Paul Rapp. After he went on to become
a lawyer, he changed it to "F. Lee Harvey Blotto",
playing on both Bailey and Oswald.
Post by That Derek
http://youtu.be/CBRJ6jQfap0
Still a perennial summertime classic.

Their best-known other songs are "I Quit"

and "Metalhead"

MJ Emigh
2018-09-04 02:30:31 UTC
Correct. My old friend, Keith Stevenson, was a part of the band, rechristened Cheese Blotto. Unfortunately, Keith went on-topic at an early age. I believe the surviving band members do get together for one-off performances occasionally, although all have moved on to real life careers.
That Derek
2018-09-04 04:40:07 UTC
Post by MJ Emigh
all have moved on to real life careers.
Did any of the Blottoes become a lifeguard?