Ileen Getz, actress (Judith on 3rd Rock)
Add Reply
Jim Beaver
2005-08-07 17:16:57 UTC
I've been informed by one of the producers of 3rd Rock From the Sun that
Ileen Getz, who as a semi-regular played the dour Judith Draper for the
entire six season run of the show, died Thursday August 4 of cancer in New
York. I had not known she was ill, but apparently she was well attended in
her last days by several cast and staff members from the show. She is
survived by her husband Mark Grinnell and their children Alice and Max.

I don't believe I ever had a scene with Ileen, and did not know her but to
say hello, but despite the coldness of her character on-camera, she was warm
and friendly in real life, and it's no exaggeration to say that those who
worked with her more closely on the show than I and who thus knew her well
loved her very much and are quite devastated. That show had a loving
cameraderie among cast and crew that is not especially common in the world
of sitcoms.

RIP

Jim Beaver
d***@comcast.net
2005-08-10 05:14:46 UTC
Ileen Getz
Actress

By VARIETY STAFF

Theater, TV and film actress Ileen Getz died Thursday August 4 from
cancer in New York. She was 44.
Getz was best known for her role as the humorless Judith Draper on
"Third Rock from the Sun." "Ileen came out of nowhere. She was hired
for a tiny role in an unsympathetic part. She dropped into our laps and
instantly became a member of the 'Third Rock' family. We couldn't do
without the character and we couldn't do without Ileen," said "Third
Rock" star John Lithgow.

Getz worked on Broadway, at Lincoln Center, The Manhattan Theater Club
and the Williamstown Theater Festival. She performed in the play
"Hurrah at Last," a role written for her by Richard GreenbergRichard
Greenberg, at the South Coast RepRep and the Gramercy Theater. She also
starred in Greenberg's "Night and her Stars" at Manhattan Theater Club.

Born in Bristol, Penn., she attended Northwestern University and then
became a member of Chicago's Econo-Art Theater Company and Practical
Theater Company.

She appeared in TV shows including "Queens Supreme," "Law & Order,"
"That 70's Show," "Chicago Hope," "NYPD Blue," "Cybill," "Seinfeld" and
"Caroline in the City."

Her film credits include roles in "Changing Lanes," "The Station
Agent," "Celebrity," "Friends with Money," "The Next Big Thing,"
"Lovely and Amazing," "A Hole in One" and the soon to be released
"Social Grace."

She is survived by her husband, Mark Grinnell, two children and a
brother.
Sysyphus' Sister
2005-08-10 22:12:48 UTC
Post by Jim Beaver
[...]
Stupid Question of the Day:
Is she the actress that goes on to Kramer about the 3 Stooges and fat
free frozen yogurt?

If so, dammit....I adored her!
--
Sysyphus' Sister
remove all inhibitions to reply
Mark Grinnell
2021-04-12 23:31:43 UTC
On Wednesday, August 10, 2005 at 6:12:48 PM UTC-4, Sysyphus' Sister wrote:
Post by Sysyphus' Sister
Is she the actress that goes on to Kramer about the 3 Stooges and fat
free frozen yogurt?
If so, dammit....I adored her!
No, she's the one that got into a fight with Kramer because she didn't want to let him go on the AIDS walk without wearing the ribbon :)