Rudy Boesch, 91, Navy Seal, The oldest competitor on the inaugural Survivor
Congoleum Breckenridge
2019-11-02 16:48:48 UTC
It is with a broken heart that we inform you that Master Chief Rudy
Boesch passed away last night. Master Chief was a legend in the
SEAL/Special Operations community and had a special place in the hearts
of so many in Hampton Roads. 💔

Rudy proudly served our Nation from 1944-1990 and his impact on so many
individuals continues today.

Please join us in respecting his family’s wishes of privacy until we can
release more details.

God Speed Rudy!
d***@gmail.com
2019-11-02 19:16:14 UTC
R. I. P. hero.
That Derek
2019-11-02 22:30:07 UTC
Was Rudy the guy who threatened to use for toilet paper the pages of the Bible belonging to a particularly devout fellow contestant?
J.D. Baldwin
2019-11-02 22:59:10 UTC
Was Rudy the guy who threatened to use for toilet paper the pages of
the Bible belonging to a particularly devout fellow contestant?
There's a well-known quote by him saying the only use a Bible would be
in a survival situation is as toilet paper. I never heard a version
of that story where he made any threats on that point.
2019-11-04 17:25:23 UTC
On Sat, 2 Nov 2019 22:59:10 +0000 (UTC),
Post by J.D. Baldwin
Post by That Derek
Was Rudy the guy who threatened to use for toilet paper the pages of
the Bible belonging to a particularly devout fellow contestant?
There's a well-known quote by him saying the only use a Bible would be
in a survival situation is as toilet paper.
I hadn't heard this before, so I've spent a few minutes trying to look
it up. The quote and its context are always presented differently in
the articles I've read, but from what I can tell, he was referring to
having no use for a Bible on the island set of the TV series,
"Survivor," which is a vastly different thing from being "in a
survival situation."
J.D. Baldwin
2019-11-04 18:36:37 UTC
Post by David Carson
Post by J.D. Baldwin
There's a well-known quote by him saying the only use a Bible would
be in a survival situation is as toilet paper.
I hadn't heard this before, so I've spent a few minutes trying to
look it up. The quote and its context are always presented
differently in the articles I've read, but from what I can tell, he
was referring to having no use for a Bible on the island set of the
TV series, "Survivor," which is a vastly different thing from being
"in a survival situation."
"Vastly different," yes, absolutely. But the one is intended to be a
weak simulation of the other, and he was making a point that applied
to both.

And certainly, in real life, men in very grim situations that are even
worse than "survival situations"[1] have been grateful for access to a
Bible. And during my flying days, I knew men who carried a tiny Bible
in their survival vests just in case such a situation arose for them.
(We were permitted five pounds of optional personal gear in those
vests. I carried a small bike bottle of water and a pack of
"Chuckles" candies.)

[1] I am thinking here of POW situations.
2019-11-04 20:04:32 UTC
On Mon, 4 Nov 2019 18:36:37 +0000 (UTC),
Post by J.D. Baldwin
Post by David Carson
Post by J.D. Baldwin
There's a well-known quote by him saying the only use a Bible would
be in a survival situation is as toilet paper.
I hadn't heard this before, so I've spent a few minutes trying to
look it up. The quote and its context are always presented
differently in the articles I've read, but from what I can tell, he
was referring to having no use for a Bible on the island set of the
TV series, "Survivor," which is a vastly different thing from being
"in a survival situation."
"Vastly different," yes, absolutely. But the one is intended to be a
weak simulation of the other, and he was making a point that applied
to both.
I see it differently. One is a comment that makes you think about what
po sessions you would consider vital in an extremely difficult and
adverse situation. In Boesch's context, on the other hand, it simply
means, "That's not my thing."

To put it another way, I take Boesch's remark that he would have no
use for a Bible "out here" - on the set of a TV series - except as
toilet paper to mean that he had no regard for the Bible at all and
had no use for it anywhere. "It means nothing to me, but at least out
here I could find a practical use for it," is I how I interpret what
he said. But, I could imagine someone who reveres the Bible who would
nevertheless leave it behind if forced to choose between it and, say,
food or a weapon, when his life is in the balance.
Post by J.D. Baldwin
And certainly, in real life, men in very grim situations that are even
worse than "survival situations"[1] have been grateful for access to a
Bible.
Absolutely. The Vietnam POWs who used the tap code to communicate with
each other spent a lot of their time tapping out Bible verses.
J.D. Baldwin
2019-11-05 14:42:32 UTC
Post by David Carson
Post by J.D. Baldwin
[...]
That's fair, but the version of the quote I've seen, in full, is:

It's funny to me that a guy would read the Bible out here. I'm
religious, too. But the only reason I'd bring a Bible to the
island is if I needed toilet paper.

which to me means, "The Bible may be meaningful to me, but the
physical book itself is a luxury that will be the first thing
discarded when I'm stripping down to the absolute essentials."

To him, as far as mental attitude and preparation were concerned, I
don't think there was a huge difference between a real survival
situation and the game he was playing. SEALs are weird that way.
2019-11-03 00:00:21 UTC
Post by J.D. Baldwin
There's a well-known quote by him saying the only use a Bible would be
in a survival situation is as toilet paper. I

Thanks for the clarification. I do remember a Bible and toiet paper being the operative elements but had not realized that there weren't any threats or intimidations in the mix.