Four Dead, Nine wounded in Kent Ohio (50th anniversary)
Add Reply
m***@gmail.com
2020-05-03 15:42:43 UTC
The following was originally in the Ithaca Journal and Danbury News-Times in 2010 and then included in one of the chapters of my book "Until The Birds Chirp: Reflections On The Sixties" (2016)

May 4, 1970

Marc A. Catone

I grew up in Danbury CT, spending much of my childhood and teenage years in the city’s Rogers Park. It was the place where I played ball, rode my bike, and fell in and out of love. I was standing in Rogers Park on the afternoon of May 4, 1970 when the sky caught my attention. A canopy of cobalt blue swirled overhead with white puffy clouds drifting towards the horizon. The beautiful day almost made me forget why I was there...to plead and pray that the United States withdraw its troops from Southeast Asia.

Four days earlier, Richard Nixon announced to a stunned and war-weary American public that our nation's armed forces had invaded Cambodia. Suddenly, the war expanded from the "Vietnam War" to the "War in Southeast Asia". Apparently, this was what Nixon meant during the 1968 presidential campaign when he claimed to have a "secret plan to end the war in Vietnam." The outrage caused by this military action increased antiwar protests in cities and on campuses across the country. Danbury was no exception.

In May 1970, I was in my sophomore year at Western Connecticut State University, a small college specializing in education majors. In October 1969, I became an active participant in the campus antiwar group, the CEW (Committee to End the War), which organized for the Vietnam Moratorium protests and teach-ins. The CEW was comprised of students, faculty, and Vietnam Vets. In response to Nixon’s invasion of Cambodia, we marched from the campus on White Street to the War Memorial Building at the entrance to Rogers Park. Some people sang "Give Peace A Chance" while others held signs denouncing the war. As we passed the Danbury Police headquarters, I noticed two squad cars following us slowly along our route.

The march was going smoothly until we neared a car dealership with a very large American flag hanging over the sidewalk. A fellow marcher, just ahead of me, tapped the edge of the flag playfully with his index finger as he ducked his head to walk underneath it. A car salesman, standing at the entrance of the auto showroom, saw this and began calling us every name in the book. For a few moments, he was ready to jump into our procession with his fists swinging. The situation had the potential to develop into a very ugly scene. Fortunately, cooler heads prevailed and the rest of the march to Rogers Park continued without incident.

Once we arrived at the War Memorial, we were joined by Danbury High School students and other members of the community. The "Pledge Of Allegiance" was said “with liberty and justice for some”, speeches were made, and prayers were offered for the end of war and safe return of American soldiers. After the meeting was done, I walked to my house on the other side of the park. I noticed the deep blue sky fading in the glare of the late afternoon sun. Once home, I switched on the TV to watch the Six O'clock News. That's when I first heard the reports about students murdered on the campus of Kent State University.

Forty years ago, Jeffrey Miller, Allison Krause, William Schroeder, and Sandra Scheuer were shot and killed by Troop G of the Ohio National Guard. I was shocked, saddened, and angered by their deaths. A phrase began to circulate inside my head. This internal tape loop repeated...IT COULD HAVE BEEN ME...over and over. Certainly, the situation on the large Kent State campus had been tenser than the atmosphere on my small college campus in Danbury, but I felt a bond and kinship with the four slain students in Ohio nonetheless. They were exactly my age...19. Jeff and Allison were actively involved in the campus demonstrations. Jeff and Sandy knew each other and were friends. Sandy, who wanted to be a speech therapist, was walking to her next class when she was killed. Bill was an ROTC student. According to his mother, Bill was becoming skeptical about America's role in Vietnam. He had just completed a test in his ROTC "War Tactics" class when he decided to attend the afternoon rally on campus.

Jeff, Allison, Bill, and Sandy were among a scattered crowd in a parking lot 250-400 feet away from the National Guard. Troop G was moving up a hill, their backs to the students, when, without provocation and as if on command, they turned around, pointed their guns, and fired into the crowd for thirteen seconds. When the shooting stopped, four students were dead and nine were wounded. Dean Kahler was paralyzed for life when a bullet entered his spine. Years later, the Scranton Commission concluded that the gunfire from the Ohio National Guard was "unnecessary, unwarranted, and inexcusable."

More recently, in 2007, Alan Canfora, one of those wounded on May 4th, acquired a tape made from a reel-to-reel recorder, whose microphone was on a building’s ledge above Troop G. For years this tape was in the possession of the Yale University archives. Clearly can be heard the orders, "Right here...Get set...Point...Fire." Thus refuting the National Guard’s decades long denial that any orders had been given to fire upon the dispersing crowd.

Jeff, Allison, Bill, and Sandy have come to symbolize young Americans exercising their right to disagree with their government's policies. For me, their deaths brought home the message that our country will tolerate protest, but only up to a point…interfere with the war machine and one risks death.

If they were alive today, each of the Kent State Four would be 60 years old. Nearing that milestone age this year myself, I’ve always tried to honor their memories, both personally and politically. As the David Crosby song goes:

"I feel like I owe it to someone."
d***@gmail.com
2020-05-03 16:16:32 UTC
This important date should be
burned in our psyches.

Each year, I contact some in
Admissions and fake interest.
This last time due to C19, I
had to leave a message. I
asked them to call me, Murda
(Chosen street name) and
explain how murderers can
live w themselves. Get used to
me. I will call annually until I
am dead (in a few decades).

I ask them, “how do you stay
in business? Educrats and
Killers.
d***@gmail.com
2020-05-03 16:18:49 UTC

Ohio by Neil Young
RH Draney
2020-05-03 21:16:29 UTC
Post by d***@gmail.com
http://youtu.be/hkg-bzTHeAk
Ohio by Neil Young
I remember that we had all been hoping that the seventies would be an
improvement over the sixties...that was the day that quashed that
expectation....r
d***@gmail.com
2020-05-04 13:58:35 UTC
I still don’t understand
an institute of “learning”
can use guns against
words.

This should never happen
again, but it did recently.
University of California at
Davis chose to pepper
spray protesters less
than 10 years ago. I tend
to remember the anniversaries
together. I call UC Davis
Pepper Spray U. I worked
there at the time. I spent 20 hours
that night emailing that GREEK
UCD PRESIDENT.

THERE IS A LOT WRONG WHEN
ANY UC CAMPUS IS RUN BY
FOREIGNERS. We got her fired
before she brought out guns. I was
so furious. I couldn’t sleep. Why?
I remembered KENT STATE.
That President was out of her league
for sure.
d***@gmail.com
2020-05-04 16:31:47 UTC
Yes.

I became fired.

Thereafter, I went to work for
Governor of the State of
California until retire.

Arnold and Maria bought
a lot of excitement.
m***@gmail.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3043&v=njfZQG0g_jw&feature=emb_logo&fbclid=IwAR1pxJGG3flnvWB3_ftWC5imdjLIcLOnu6n0GAtrxS9DZxhBA0ZkoRX-GH8
d***@gmail.com
2020-05-04 21:24:46 UTC
This is excellent.

We all got pressed over this.
I attended then President Nixon’s
Alma mater. I had a sign on my
dorm window saying. “Nixon
Slept Here”. Whittier College is
the “Harvard of the West”.

Well, we got bed-checked, and
I was “missing”. I took a first floor
room w window access. LOL.
Very strict school on scholarship.
Tried, and convicted, of running
off to BF (also student). I had to
sign in hourly for a month. It was
horrible. I moved off campus my
3d year. We all know where I went.
BF’s place.

Well, the heat was on. Dorms ran
“fire” drills that were actually the
way to catch missing girls on that
May 4 1970. Proud to say, I was
present for that drill. but I started my
own little protest. I was yelling that the
National guard just murdered several
students at Ohio State. This is a very
insensitive time to have this drill. LOL
knowing the whole time I was the
cause of it.

I set it up from my POV so you see
how things were. We were also
waiting on the draft lottery. William
was moving to Canada, and I planned
to go w him. All over Vietnam ... I was
20 and he 25. His number came up
high 200s. 1-200 we called. Thank
God.

While we survived, many of our friends
didn’t.
d***@gmail.com
2020-05-05 00:27:27 UTC
What was the point of interfering w me and William?

I completed 3 grad programs and retired from the governor’s office. Now, I am rich.

Whittier wants my millions. LOL. I have promised them a substantial donation (no other estate claims).

Not happy with them, but I am bigger. Whittier College will receive 1/3 of my estate, 1/3 to SACRAMENTO SPCA and my God the other as He is the One that made it possible.🎚.
m***@gmail.com
2020-05-03 17:31:37 UTC

d***@gmail.com
2020-06-27 14:34:11 UTC
Marc
http://youtu.be/TRE9vMBBe10

Today we look toward July 4 holiday. I remain vigilant for the innocent. Those killed for freedom of speech. I want nothing more than judgment and punishment for killers, KENT STATE.

TEARS FALL ... for the fallen gunned down for nothing.
m***@gmail.com
2020-06-27 15:43:18 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
Marc
http://youtu.be/TRE9vMBBe10
Today we look toward July 4 holiday. I remain vigilant for the innocent. Those killed for freedom of speech. I want nothing more than judgment and punishment for killers, KENT STATE.
TEARS FALL ... for the fallen gunned down for nothing.
Let us also not forget the murders at Jackson State.

A coordinated police attack 50 years ago.

Were they just a "few bad apples?"

Black Lives Matter.
Adam H. Kerman
2020-06-28 00:08:44 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
Post by m***@gmail.com
Marc
http://youtu.be/TRE9vMBBe10
Today we look toward July 4 holiday. I remain vigilant for the innocent. Those killed for freedom of speech. I want nothing more than judgment and punishment for killers, KENT STATE.
TEARS FALL ... for the fallen gunned down for nothing.
Let us also not forget the murders at Jackson State.
A coordinated police attack 50 years ago.
That's a lie. The cops panicked. Why, we have no idea. It never came
out. There was nothing coordinated about any of it.
Post by m***@gmail.com
Were they just a "few bad apples?"
Yeah. That would be the definition of bad cops. That incident has
nothing to do with any other incident, certainly not Kent State even
though it was a few days later.
Post by m***@gmail.com
Black Lives Matter.
Slogans matter, that's for sure. Actual human being don't matter to you
at all. You don't care about either the dead kids at Kent State nor
Jackson State.
m***@gmail.com
If you only knew what an ignorant bastard you are.
m***@gmail.com
2020-06-28 03:01:50 UTC
On Saturday, June 27, 2020 at 8:08:45 PM UTC-4, Adam H. Kerman wrote:

<snip>
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Slogans matter, that's for sure. Actual human being don't matter to you
at all. You don't care about either the dead kids at Kent State nor
Jackson State.
Did you read the OP?

If you did, then I can only assume that you enjoy portraying yourself as willfully ignorant.

If you didn't, then you should as the edification will prove helpful to your undeveloped brain.
Adam H. Kerman
2020-06-28 18:16:25 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
<snip>
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Slogans matter, that's for sure. Actual human being don't matter to you
at all. You don't care about either the dead kids at Kent State nor
Jackson State.
Did you read the OP?
If you did, then I can only assume that you enjoy portraying yourself as willfully ignorant.
If you didn't, then you should as the edification will prove helpful to
your undeveloped brain.
The OP didn't write about Jackson State. You did, 'cuz you felt it gave
you an excuse for your own political pandering.

I've read about Jackson State. You made a false statement about what happened.
Other than the coincidence of the two events occuring within days, they
were unrelated and Kent State wasn't even a police-involved shooting.

You said NOTHING about Kent State. What you said about Jackson State
was false. You're either a liar or willfully ignorant. Either way, all
of Usenet has concluded that you didn't give a shit about innocent, dead
kids as either college. You just wanted to repeat someone else's slogan,
letting yourself believe that you had something profound to say.
d***@gmail.com
2020-06-28 18:31:39 UTC
To all Dummies:

Adam is no fool. But, nice try.

T. Y. for playing.
m***@gmail.com
2020-06-28 23:33:03 UTC
Post by d***@gmail.com
Adam is no fool. But, nice try.
T. Y. for playing.
You give him too much praise, he ain't God.

m***@gmail.com
2020-06-28 23:32:11 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by m***@gmail.com
<snip>
Post by Adam H. Kerman
[...]
How can you say that I said nothing about Kent State? Apparently, you didn't read the original post in which I talked about Kent State because I'm the one who started this thread.

"This shooting(Jackson State) was caused by white supremacy, and white Americans have resisted acknowledging our white supremacist past as a means to justifying our institutionalized racism in the present. The Jackson State story fell victim to this much broader problem of white American memory. To look at the realities of the assault at Jackson State demands that we also recognize the ongoing crisis of state violence against people of color today, something too many white Americans refuse to do."

"...the President’s Commission on Campus Unrest, which concluded that “the 28-second fusillade from police officers was an unreasonable, unjustified over-reaction” and “clearly unwarranted.” The U.S. attorney general, John Mitchell, actually visited Jackson State a few days after the shootings and promised that the Justice Department would make a full investigation. His sincerity was quickly questioned, though, when he followed his visit with attendance the next day at a meeting of the all-white segregationist Delta Council in nearby Cleveland, Miss. These suspicions proved prescient. Though a federal grand jury took up the case, it was presided over by District Judge William Harold Cox, an avowed segregationist and white supremacist.

In his charges to the jury, he told them that “this district will not provide safe sanctuary for militants or for anarchists or for revolutionaries of any race.” Though the disturbance at Jackson State had been mild in the context of May 1970 and had not endangered anyone, and though the students who were shot were removed from the trouble by a couple of blocks and had not participated in the earlier unrest, the grand jury produced neither indictments nor a written record of its findings."

The Hinds Country Grand Jury did little better, with Judge Russel D. Moore borrowing text from Judge Cox’s instructions, and adding, “No person participating in a riot or civil disorder or open combat with civil authorities, or failing to immediately dissociate himself from such a group or gathering, has any civil right to expect to avoid serious injury or even death when the disorder becomes such as to require extreme measures and harsh treatment.” No one was indicted for the shootings."

The above was from interview with author, Nancy K. Bristow, "Steeped in the Blood of Racism: Black Power, Law and Order, and the 1970s at Jackson State College" (Oxford University Press). 2020

My post of June 27th was in response to darrell's. I wanted to remind people that as far back as 1970 ( and I recognize that it goes back much farther) police have been shooting at and killing Blacks in large numbers. Although the students at Jackson State had been protesting both the Cambodian invasion and the deaths of the Kent State Four, they had been subjected to White Nationalists taunts and arrests since the early 60s.

We live in an a nation where police still kill Blacks, especially Black males, with impunity. Hopefully, that will change.