Disney denies request to put Spider-Man on a 4-year-old's tombstone
2019-08-01 15:05:36 UTC
Multiple articles:

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1268&bih=819&tbm=nws&ei=9f5CXdzFI8-Jggei3oXYDw&q=spider+man+ollie+jones&oq=spider+man+ollie+jones&gs_l=psy-ab.3...3419.5078.0.5246.12.10.0.2.2.0.132.803.9j1.10.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.10.575...0j33i299k1j33i10k1.0.3ws93y3lDac

I found it first at Bratfree. Quote:

kittehpeoples
The Mouse is picking on entitled breeders again
August 01, 2019 09:14AM

"Breeders' son dies. They want Spider-Man on his gravestone. The city council tells them they can't without permission from Marvel/Disney. Disney tells them they have a policy in place since before Walt Disney died saying none of their IP can be used for grave markers, cremation urns, etc. because they don't want their characters associated with death and dying.

"Breeders commission a 'temporary' gravestone with a huge image of Spider-Man on it and put it up anyway. Now they are outraged that they've been told by the city council that it has to come down. Cue the lowing.

"(I personally love that the father claims 'Disney's only interested in money' and that now his son's dead and they won't be getting any more of that sweet toddler paycheck, they don't care; but on the other hand, if they licensed their characters for this kind of thing, wouldn't that make them more money?)

"They've already been contacted by a lawyer. Because of course they have. They'll end up making some money off of their kid's death yet."

2019-08-01 15:32:00 UTC
Post by l***@yahoo.com
[...]
Lenona.
Poor kid. Original story here:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/disney-refuses-permission-boys-spi
derman-17444020

It's full of the faux outrage and manufactured quotes we've come to
love from the British tabs. Here's the temporary tombstone:

https://i2-prod.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article17444174.ece/ALTERNATES/s12
00b/1_SWNS_SPDER_GRAVE_05m.jpg

It's about 3 ft X 4 ft. Compare it with the other tombstones at the
cemetery:

https://www.nzwargraves.org.nz/cemeteries/maidstone-cemetery-kent

The Spidey stone looks like a professionally done job. I wonder where
and how they got it made? (Unless it's a bit of graphic fakery, of
course.)

I'm wondering if the town was trying to be kind to the family by citing
copyright laws instead of just rejecting the tombstone outright.
Adam H. Kerman
2019-08-01 15:52:33 UTC
Post by l***@yahoo.com
. . .
[...]
It's a military cemetary?
The Spidey stone looks like a professionally done job. I wonder where
and how they got it made? (Unless it's a bit of graphic fakery, of
course.)
I'm wondering if the town was trying to be kind to the family by citing
copyright laws instead of just rejecting the tombstone outright.
You know, the grieving father is an asshole. Disney offered a
personalized cel depicting a scene with a message to the deceased child.
Disney was actually being kind.

I don't blame Disney one iota for not wanting their trademarked and
copyrighted work to appear on tombstones.
A Friend
2019-08-01 19:02:45 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by A Friend
. . .
Post by l***@yahoo.com
https://i2-prod.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article17444174.ece/ALTERNATES/s1200b/
1_SWNS_SPDER_GRAVE_05m.jpg
It's about 3 ft X 4 ft. Compare it with the other tombstones at the
https://www.nzwargraves.org.nz/cemeteries/maidstone-cemetery-kent
It's a military cemetary?
No, but there are many military graves there. If I'm correctly
remembering what I read this morning, military personnel who died in
German bombing raids on Kent during WW2 are all buried together. The
52 (I think) who died during WW1 are buried here and there throughout
the cemetery.
Neither do I.
Michael OConnor
2019-08-01 16:34:20 UTC
I feel bad for the kid and his family, but what do you expect from a company like Disney who is trying to own the entire entire entertainment world. I hate to agree with Disney on anything, but I do. Here's why:

Putting Spiderman on this kid's tombstone will only open Pandora's Box, so to speak, and soon every comic book geek will want Superman or whichever Marvel character they want on their tombstone. And it won't stop there, as Disney also owns Star Wars, and I imagine Darth Vader tombstones will be very popular. Disney also owns the Muppets, Fox (which includes The Simpsons and Family Guy), Pixar (which includes Toy Story and Shrek), Peanuts to a limited degree (they own the rights to the Peanuts movie thru Fox) and of course the original Disney characters. Not to mention, Disney also owns ABC and ESPN, so if you wanted a tombstone with the Sportscenter logo on it, or a tombstone with Starsky and Hutch's car on it (an ABC series).

To me, a cemetery is supposed to be a place of solitude, where the dead go to rest forever, and for those who remember them to go visit them and reflect. Turning cemeteries into billboards would IMO ruin the experience. And allowing this kid to put Spiderman on his tombstone would only put Disney in the custom tombstone business before very long. I have no doubt you would soon be able to go online and purchase a tombstone from Disney with whatever character you desired from the entire Disney universe of all the crap they own, at a ridiculous price that people would no doubt pay.
Michael OConnor
2019-08-01 16:35:33 UTC
I'm sorry I'm not a comic book fan but I forgot Superman is DC not Marvel. My bad.
A Friend
2019-08-01 19:06:19 UTC
Post by Michael OConnor
To me, a cemetery is supposed to be a place of solitude, where the dead go
to rest forever, and for those who remember them to go visit them and
reflect. Turning cemeteries into billboards would IMO ruin the experience.
And allowing this kid to put Spiderman on his tombstone would only put
Disney in the custom tombstone business before very long. I have no doubt
you would soon be able to go online and purchase a tombstone from Disney
with whatever character you desired from the entire Disney universe of all
the crap they own, at a ridiculous price that people would no doubt pay.
I think what you do is bury your child with a Spider-Man action figure,
or dress him as Spider-Man, or whatever. You don't put up something
that looks like you're opening a Spider-Man restaurant.
Michael OConnor
2019-08-01 19:32:55 UTC
Post by A Friend
Post by Michael OConnor
To me, a cemetery is supposed to be a place of solitude, where the dead go
to rest forever, and for those who remember them to go visit them and
reflect. Turning cemeteries into billboards would IMO ruin the experience.
And allowing this kid to put Spiderman on his tombstone would only put
Disney in the custom tombstone business before very long. I have no doubt
you would soon be able to go online and purchase a tombstone from Disney
with whatever character you desired from the entire Disney universe of all
the crap they own, at a ridiculous price that people would no doubt pay.
I think what you do is bury your child with a Spider-Man action figure,
or dress him as Spider-Man, or whatever. You don't put up something
that looks like you're opening a Spider-Man restaurant.
There was that 6-year old Jacob Hall, who was murdered in the Townville Elementary School shooting about an hour from where I live, about two years ago. He was a big Batman fan and they had a superhero funeral for him where he was buried in a Batman outfit and all the adults and children dressed as superheroes to honor this kid. I remember them showing it on local television and it brought me to tears.

A google image search shows that there are custom made caskets with the Spiderman logo or images on them, I don't know how much they cost or how the licensing works with them. I seem to remember back in the 90's somebody was selling Dale Earnhardt coffins for NASCAR fans with the number 3 logo on them, but after his death I guess that business dried up.
A Friend
2019-08-01 19:41:54 UTC
Post by Michael OConnor
Post by A Friend
Post by Michael OConnor
[...]
I'll guarantee you that the casket art is not licensed and that laws
are being broken, but at least they're burying the evidence.
Post by Michael OConnor
I seem to remember back in the 90's somebody was
selling Dale Earnhardt coffins for NASCAR fans with the number 3 logo on
them, but after his death I guess that business dried up.
Dale is still a big deal. I see "3" decals on people's battered old
redneck trucks all the time around here.

Reminds me that some fans showed up for Dale's funeral but were exiled
to a parking lot that was off over there somewhere. One of the fans
sadly told a TV reporter that he'd traveled hundreds of miles and
expected "they'd do something for us." Yeah, dude, they did: They took
your money.
Alfalfa Bill
2019-08-01 20:56:29 UTC
I hear you, but respectfully disagree. In the case of a murdered 6-year-old, I think it would not hurt a big corporation like Disney to make an exception. I personally find pictures like teddy bears on a child's tombstone touching. Again, I don't think you are wrong, just have a different take on things.
David Carson
2019-08-02 01:07:20 UTC
On Thu, 1 Aug 2019 13:56:29 -0700 (PDT), Alfalfa Bill
Post by Alfalfa Bill
I hear you, but respectfully disagree. In the case of a murdered 6-year-old, I think it would not hurt a big corporation like Disney to make an exception. I personally find pictures like teddy bears on a child's tombstone touching. Again, I don't think you are wrong, just have a different take on things.
A teddy bear connotes playfulness, innocence, and joy. Spider-Man connotes
that the child liked Spider-Man. I think it's awful that the parents want
the first or only thing a passer-by notices when he sees their child's
grave, forever, to be Spider-Man. I don't have to like Disney's reasons
for what they're doing to like the result.

2019-08-01 20:49:44 UTC
There is a recent vintage adage among comic book geeks:

The only person in MCU continuity who stays dead is "Uncle Ben" (Peter "Spider-Man" Parker's uncle for the non-initiated).

Is Disney/Marvel afraid the 4-year old is coming back to life?

Here, in Essex County NJ, there is a plethora of day-care centers festooned with kid-friendly cartoon characters from Disney, W-B, & Sesame street. Disney/Pixar/ABC/Marvel/Henson/Lucas/Fox/and sometimes Peanuts would have a field day chasing them all down with cease-and-desist orders
Meteorite Debris
That is corporations for you. Tyranny and pettiness.
Adam H. Kerman
2019-08-02 15:51:58 UTC
Post by Meteorite Debris
That is corporations for you. Tyranny and pettiness.
Don't make me defend Disney.

It's not petty at all to be in the entertainment business and not in the
business of providing symbols and images to grave markers.

As I noted in my other followup, Disney was actually generous with the
parents, offering a personalized animation cel. it's pretty obnoxious
on the parents' part to have overreacted like this after their demand
was denied.