Healthwatch: Dolly Lama
Add Reply
Topic Cop
2019-11-10 16:35:54 UTC
Just heard on NPR, he's 84 and sick.
That Derek
2019-11-10 17:05:02 UTC
The "Goodbye, Da;ai" JOES Are already writing themselves. I also heard that NPR story while waiting For Will Shortz and the Sunday Puzzle.

Omce, we were recording a biography of Tenzin Gyatso, the 14th Dalai Lama, at Talking Books. It seems when he was a three-year old, he accidentally knocked over a yak-butter lamp which ignited a fire which destroyed his household's floor.

What kind of floor was it?

Parquet!
d***@gmail.com
2019-11-10 17:35:27 UTC
Just heard on NPR, he's 84 and sick.

GTH
Bryan Styble
2019-11-10 17:48:16 UTC
Sorry to be so geezerly-unhip to all that internet acronym lingo, but can someone tell me what JOES means initially? (And thanks in advance!)

Oh, and I saw The Lama in person at Hec Edmundson in Seattle circa 2008, and am certainly glad I did, inveterate celebrity hound that I am...but wasn't budged a smidgen from my converted-Jewish agnosticism.

2019-11-11 19:44:47 UTC
Post by Bryan Styble
Sorry to be so geezerly-unhip to all that internet acronym lingo, but can someone tell me what JOES means initially? (And thanks in advance!)
Oh, and I saw The Lama in person at Hec Edmundson in Seattle circa 2008, and
am certainly glad I did, inveterate celebrity hound that I am...but wasn't
budged a smidgen from my converted-Jewish agnosticism.
BRYAN STYBLE/Florida
I saw the current Dalai Lama at a local monastery groundbreaking in 1989.
Never entered the completed building until this year.

2019-11-10 18:23:06 UTC
JOES
"Jimmy Olsen enjoys Superman ... /"
Michael OConnor
2019-11-10 18:44:06 UTC
JOES
"Jimmy Olsen enjoys Superman ... /"
I don't get it.

On the other hand, after the movie "Caddyshack", I've always wondered how many idiots have actually asked the Dalai Lama if he actually golfs?

There are nitwits out there who believe everything they see on TV and in the movies. I remember an interview with Robert Young where he said when he was starring on "Marcus Welby MD" that he got lots of letters from people detailing their medical problems who would ask him to diagnose their medical conditions.
RH Draney
2019-11-10 20:56:50 UTC
Post by Michael OConnor
I don't get it.
On the other hand, after the movie "Caddyshack", I've always wondered how many idiots have actually asked the Dalai Lama if he actually golfs?
I wonder how Karl Stefanovic is taking this news:

....r
David Carson
2019-11-11 00:45:41 UTC
On Sun, 10 Nov 2019 10:44:06 -0800 (PST), Michael OConnor
Post by Michael OConnor
There are nitwits out there who believe everything they see on TV and in the movies. I remember an interview with Robert Young where he said when he was starring on "Marcus Welby MD" that he got lots of letters from people detailing their medical problems who would ask him to diagnose their medical conditions.
These nitwits are in Congress now, calling entertainers in to testify on
stem cell research, diabetes funding, and immigration.
danny burstein
2019-11-11 00:56:55 UTC
oh, when I saw the subject line my first thought
was that Dolly, the first cloned large animal
(a sheep), had a llama relative...
Post by Michael OConnor
There are nitwits out there who believe everything they see on TV and in the movies. I remember an interview with Robert Young where he said when he was starring on "Marcus Welby MD" that he got lots of letters from people detailing their medical problems who would ask him to diagnose their medical conditions.
These nitwits are in Congress now, calling entertainers in to testify on
stem cell research, diabetes funding, and immigration.
It ain't new to this current Congress.

Think back to "Quincy", when they ran a show about
so-called "orphan drugs" and the need for gov't (taxpayer)
funding and incentives to the drug/research companies.

Soon afterwards, Jack Klugman (the actor who portrated Quincy)
appeared in front of Congress...

Hmm... in looking for a cite I found an official FDA historical
page mentioning this... from back in 1981

https://www.fda.gov/industry/orphan-products-development-events/story-behind-orphan-drug-act
***@panix.com
Dave Garrett
2019-11-11 02:25:20 UTC
Post by danny burstein
oh, when I saw the subject line my first thought
was that Dolly, the first cloned large animal
(a sheep), had a llama relative...
The one-l lama,
He's a priest.
The two-l llama,
He's a beast.
And I will bet
A silk pajama
There isn't any
Three-l lllama.*

-Ogden Nash

*The author's attention has been called to a type of conflagration known
as a three-alarmer. Pooh.

Per Mr. Nash's footnote, I've heard a variant of his verse that
substitutes "A three-l lllama is a hell of a fire" for the last four
lines.
Dave
danny burstein
2019-11-11 02:47:15 UTC
Post by Dave Garrett
Post by danny burstein
oh, when I saw the subject line my first thought
was that Dolly, the first cloned large animal
(a sheep), had a llama relative...
The one-l lama,
He's a priest.
The two-l llama,
He's a beast.
And I will bet
A silk pajama
There isn't any
Three-l lllama.*
-Ogden Nash
*The author's attention has been called to a type of conflagration known
as a three-alarmer. Pooh.
Per Mr. Nash's footnote, I've heard a variant of his verse that
substitutes "A three-l lllama is a hell of a fire" for the last four
lines.
Only Sunday eve and it sure looks like a runaway
for the week...
***@panix.com
2019-11-11 02:36:48 UTC
Post by Michael OConnor
There are nitwits out there who believe everything they see on TV and in the
movies. I remember an interview with Robert Young where he said when he was
starring on "Marcus Welby MD" that he got lots of letters from people
detailing their medical problems who would ask him to diagnose their medical
conditions.
People used to write "The Millionaire" for money, too.
Post by David Carson
These nitwits are in Congress now, calling entertainers in to testify on
stem cell research, diabetes funding, and immigration.
They do that because they know it's more likely that clips from
celebrity-coated hearings will be used on TV, and the nitwits all want
very much to be on TV.
Michael OConnor
2019-11-11 21:15:30 UTC
Post by A Friend
Post by David Carson
These nitwits are in Congress now, calling entertainers in to testify on
stem cell research, diabetes funding, and immigration.
They do that because they know it's more likely that clips from
celebrity-coated hearings will be used on TV, and the nitwits all want
very much to be on TV.
Such as noted expert on the history of Psychiatry Tom Cruise on the Today Show:

Kenny McCormack
2019-11-11 21:47:48 UTC
Post by Michael OConnor
Post by A Friend
Post by David Carson
These nitwits are in Congress now, calling entertainers in to testify on
stem cell research, diabetes funding, and immigration.
They do that because they know it's more likely that clips from
celebrity-coated hearings will be used on TV, and the nitwits all want
very much to be on TV.
http://youtu.be/WDSvfvfPCWY
Be that as it may, the smart money knows that if you want to reach the
American public, you need a celebrity. That's just the world as it is.

You could have a noted, qualified scientist, with tons of degrees and real
subject knowledge, opining on, say, global warming, and you could have
Lebron James opining, and most Americans would completely ignore the noted
scientist.
--
"He is exactly as they taught in KGB school: an egoist, a liar, but talented - he
knows the mind of the wrestling-loving, under-educated, authoritarian-admiring