Éd Asner, 91
2021-08-29 18:06:22 UTC
https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/ed-asner-dead-lou-grant-1235051373/
Diner
2021-08-29 18:21:00 UTC
https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/ed-asner-dead-lou-grant-1235051373/
This sad news leaves Betty White, age 99, as the only surviving regular cast member from The Mary Tyler Moore Show.

The following recurring actors are still with us:
John Amos as Gordy Howard (13 episodes)
Lisa Gerritsen as Bess Lindstrom (10 episodes)
Joyce Bulifant as Marie Slaughter (11 episodes)
Beverly Sanders as Rayette the waitress (3 episodes)
Jack De Mave as Armond Lynton (2 episodes)
Terry del Fuego
Robbie Rist as David Baxter (at least 3 episodes)
Travoltron
2021-08-29 19:09:52 UTC
Interesting guy. He was physically unattractive and his personality was
alleged to have been even more repellent. But his acting talent overcame
all that.

I'm not sure if a guy like him could have made in in today's Hollywood,
where everyone looks (and acts) like interchangeable mannequins.

He also managed to find a lot of success in voice acting. Always found
it weird though that he was cast as Granny Goodness in the Superman and
Justice League cartoons.
Lenona
2021-08-29 23:00:21 UTC
Post by Travoltron
Interesting guy. He was physically unattractive and his personality was
alleged to have been even more repellent. But his acting talent overcame
all that.
I'm not sure if a guy like him could have made in in today's Hollywood,
where everyone looks (and acts) like interchangeable mannequins.
He also managed to find a lot of success in voice acting. Always found
it weird though that he was cast as Granny Goodness in the Superman and
Justice League cartoons.
I had to look up that villain; I'd never heard of her.

Apparently, while she didn't appear in TV or films until the 1990s, her first appearance in comics was in...1971.

And, it IS weird how, on the one hand, there's a lot more diversity in casting than before, not to mention far more fictional gay characters, etc. Yet, there's a sameness that turns me off when it comes to most modern TV. For one thing, I don't understand what's supposed to be so funny about The Big Bang Theory - or what makes it so different from other sitcoms that don't revolve around families with children.

(Plus, I can't be bothered to pay to see most movies in theaters anymore, even though I prefer to see movies with an audience.)

Lenona.
Travoltron
2021-08-30 01:36:28 UTC
Post by Lenona
For one thing, I don't understand what's supposed to be so funny about The Big Bang Theory
You and I agree on something. My parents like that show and my mom is
always bugging me to watch it. What I have seen of it just seemed like
standard sitcom schlock.
Adam H. Kerman
2021-08-30 01:51:14 UTC
Post by Travoltron
Post by Lenona
For one thing, I don't understand what's supposed to be so funny about The Big Bang Theory
You and I agree on something. My parents like that show and my mom is
always bugging me to watch it. What I have seen of it just seemed like
standard sitcom schlock.
It wasn't a standard sitcom in its earliest seasons. The comedy was
quite good, actually. It stayed on the air much too long.
Matthew Kruk
It's the worse sitcom since Friends.
Marc Catone
I couldn't stand Friends.
Matthew Kruk
Or Seinfeld for that mater.
Lenona
2021-08-30 13:05:39 UTC
On Monday, August 30, 2021 at 12:24:34 AM UTC-4, Matthew Kruk wrote:

Or Seinfeld for that mater.

Same here.

I can appreciate a show that's "about nothing." I cannot appreciate a sitcom that takes casual sex for granted and has so much whining in it - from what little I remember.

(Did they ever do an episode about the "three date" rule? I think one good response to that rule could be "look, you wouldn't think it would be reasonable for me to dump you if you didn't propose marriage after three dates, so...")

Lenona.
Travoltron
2021-08-30 19:20:02 UTC
Post by Lenona
I cannot appreciate a sitcom that takes casual sex for granted and has so much whining in it - from what little I remember.
(Did they ever do an episode about the "three date" rule?
Probably. These shows aired when I was a teenager and I'm going to be
honest, the depiction of casual sex really made me feel insecure at that
age. Same with "must screw of the third date" episodes.

I remember Jerry had a different girl every week, but even the supposed
"loser" character George was getting laid a two or three times a season
with pretty women. Kramer was a super stud.

Seinfeld wasn't the only show doing this, most of them were. It's just
that Seinfeld is the memorable one and I've forgotten the other schlock.

I remember a friend of mine was enthralled by those womanizing TV
characters like Dan Fielding. He emulated that lifestyle completely and
it ended up destroying his life.
Lenona
2021-08-30 21:30:36 UTC
As in...Tiger Woods style with an angry S.O., or having to pay child support, or what?
Travoltron
2021-08-30 22:25:02 UTC
Post by Lenona
As in...Tiger Woods style with an angry S.O., or having to pay child support, or what?
Accused of rape, imprisoned, and put on the sex offender registry after
release.
I'm sure he didn't do it, but the more one night stands, the odds of a
false accusation just keep increasing. The sleazebag reputation he
acquired also doomed his defense.

Marc Catone
It was great. In my Top Ten TV shows of all time. The writing was tight, the plots were funny, the characters troubled, yet endearing. And, it's spin-off, "Young Sheldon", one of the few spin-offs to actually be good.
A Friend
2021-08-30 01:49:23 UTC
Post by Lenona
Post by Travoltron
Interesting guy. He was physically unattractive and his personality was
alleged to have been even more repellent. But his acting talent overcame
all that.
I'm not sure if a guy like him could have made in in today's Hollywood,
where everyone looks (and acts) like interchangeable mannequins.
He also managed to find a lot of success in voice acting. Always found
it weird though that he was cast as Granny Goodness in the Superman and
Justice League cartoons.
I had to look up that villain; I'd never heard of her.
Apparently, while she didn't appear in TV or films until the 1990s, her first
appearance in comics was in...1971.
That was when Jack Kirby signed on with DC, and they gave him the dying
Jimmy Olsen title to do with as he would. Then DC busted Kirby's nuts
when he actually went ahead and did it. See "Fourth World."

BTW Ed Asner was more familiar to me as a bad cop or a thug in Movies
of the Week prior to MTM. He'd been more or less typecast as that.
Topic Cop
I had no idea he was still alive, imagine waking up and looking in the mirror and saying hello I am Ed Asner and I am 90 years old what a feeling
Adam H. Kerman
2021-08-30 16:52:29 UTC
Post by Topic Cop
I had no idea he was still alive, imagine waking up and looking in the
mirror and saying hello I am Ed Asner and I am 90 years old what a
feeling
As he was still performing, albeit in small supporting roles typically
seated in a wheelchair, it couldn't have been too bad a feeling.
Travoltron
2021-08-30 19:21:17 UTC
He looked like he had one foot in the grave when he showed up in Cobra
Kai. But it was a great performance anyways.