Anti-vax-until-sick Broadcaster dies of COVID
2021-08-08 20:13:00 UTC
https://www.wptv.com/lifestyle/taste-and-see/vocal-anti-vaccine-broadcaster-dies-from-covid-19-complications

Farrel Austin Levitt,professionally Dick Farrel,
born August 1st 1956,died August 4th 2021.

Right-wing radio host,then Newsmax anchor,
railed against vaccine on Facebook until he
got the disease and then changed his tune,
telling friends to get the shot and saying
he wished he had,before he died.

Active in Florida,mainly...did he cross
paths with Styble?

2021-08-08 21:57:31 UTC
Post by Louis Epstein
https://www.wptv.com/lifestyle/taste-and-see/vocal-anti-vaccine-broadcaster-dies-from-covid-19-complications
Farrel Austin Levitt,professionally Dick Farrel,
born August 1st 1956,died August 4th 2021.
Right-wing radio host,then Newsmax anchor,
railed against vaccine on Facebook until he
got the disease and then changed his tune,
telling friends to get the shot and saying
he wished he had,before he died.
Active in Florida,mainly...did he cross
paths with Styble?
More on him:
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/aug/08/rightwing-radio-host-dick-farrel-anti-vaxxer-dies-covid
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/florida-radio-newsmax-host-who-opposed-covid-vaccine-dies-covid-n1276304
radioacti...@gmail.com
2021-08-08 23:08:49 UTC
So flattered you thought of me to inquire, Louis!

Not only did I never meet this late Farrel fellow, but I've never even heard his work.

Now I HAVE met sports talk radio yakker Scott Ferrall, who broadcasts under the mononym stage-name "Ferrall". Found Ferrall to be a quite nice fellow, but his long-running, gravel-voiced nationally-syndicated routine I find terribly taxing aurally. AND he uses that voice in private conversation,.as well. (Quite UNLIKE, say Gilbert Gottfried, who as you probably are well aware, Louis, off the stage sounds TOTALLY different.) Meanwhile, the unrelentingly obnoxious Jim Rome is off-air is just as gargantuan a jerk as he so earnestly portrays himself to be while on the air.

Jeez, sure hope you don't think I find most conservative right-wing radio yak hosts to be the kind of people I like to cultivate as friends! A good many of them--usually those whose programs are self-indulgent, minimally-informative productions--are bona fide insufferable types. (No doubt some radio biz colleagues considered me one too.)

Indeed, one particular guy I found to be the most contemptible person (a so-called "talent") I ever met during my career. That would be the celebrated Glenn Beck, hardly a surprise I'm sure to anyone herein who has endured the PAINFUL process of aurally scrutinizing his positively dreadful and juvenile radio show, PROFUSELY littered as it is with Beck's constant "y'know"ing and incessant "now-he's-like..."-this and "then-she's-like..."--that, purportedly professional patter which of course is in fact UTTER VERBAL TRASH.

Never met either of Beck's two principal sidekick clowns, but they're not much better: "Stu* is BOTH a knowledgable AND smart guy guy, but also another blasted "y'knower" with a lousy broadcast skill-set and a positively puerile penchant for vulgar AND mean schtick. Pat Gray? Well, he's got fairly-polished broadcast skills but is embarrassingly and even FRIGHTFULLY ignorant of most issues in the news or the culture--but sure, dependable broadcast yes-man Gray couldn't care less, because HIS priority is always how he sounds, NEVER the integrity or even factuality of what he's saying to the uncritical, gullible and thus malleable Glenn Beck Show audience (as adjusted by the rare Beck caller who makes air on the almost-entirely-caller-free show. So yeah, both "Pat & Stu" are just as vulgar and even sometimes obscene (and ALWAYS as punishingly unfunny) as is their example-setting ringleader Beck...but at least neither of them is a (supposedly-)recovering drunk.

No, Louis, this retired, aging Reaganite rocker instead prefers musicians, lawyers, physicians, mathematicians and artists as friends, IF they're intellectuals-. And most of whom in each listed case are libs, if not downright lefties.

Of course, I happen to be a lefty TOO, Louis--but ONLY for tossing a ball, racket-swinging in tennis, or playing guitar and drums. Both batting and golf I do right-handed, though I am ALSO totally retired from those two activities. And I'm a right-footed drummer who plays left--handedly. Just like Sir Ringo. (Though I sure can't SOUND like Starr. At least yet.)

BRYAN STYBLE/Florida*
* So do I get any points from you, Louis, for prosing this instance footnote-free? D'oh!; guess not.
Louis Epstein
2021-08-30 02:58:12 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
So flattered you thought of me to inquire, Louis!
Not only did I never meet this late Farrel fellow, but I've never even heard his work.
Farrel,Phil Valentine,and now another Floridian,Marc Bernier,
make up a trio of COVID-related broadcaster deaths.
(Bernier came from Rhode Island but I gather had been in Florida
longer than you).