Bill Hinsche, 70, 1960s teenaged pop singer (Dino,,Desi & Billy)
2021-11-21 16:38:13 UTC
https://extratv.com/2021/11/20/bill-hinsche-one-third-of-teen-trio-dino-desi-and-billy-dies-at-70/
radioacti...@gmail.com
2021-11-21 21:56:41 UTC
Anyone know how much of a true band Dino, Desi & Billy ever were?

I mean, were they just an artistic-input step or two ahead of being a sort of Milli Vinnili of the '60s (with serious L.A. session guys patching all their musical holes), or did the trio actually inherit real talent from their showbiz fathers?

And is there any truth to the story about Francis Albert being over at Dino's house one day, overheard them rehearsing, and decided to afford them an opening-of-Hollywood-doors that only The Chairman of the Board could swing? (Or perhaps that was just some PR guy's cute idea for an album's liner notes, which is where I read the supposed anecdote.)

And didn't DD&B record "The Chimes of Freedom" at one point--or was that just some nightmare I survived?

BRYAN STYBLE/Florida
David Samuel Barr
2021-11-22 00:24:26 UTC
Working backwards, yes, they did record
"The Chimes of Freedom" and it was on
their "I'm a Fool" album (Reprise RS6176)
and the B-side of their single "Not the
Loving Kind" (Reprise 0401). The album
had eleven tracks, four of them Bob Dylan
songs including that one.

They were an actual band, just three school
friends like millions of others at the time
trying to be like The Beatles or whatever
other group(s) they admired. Two of them
just happened to have famous musician fathers
who got them an audition with Sinatra (the
cited story is a bit of a PR exaggeration).
While, as was true for many other bands
recording in L.A. in those days, they did
not play their own instruments on their
recordings, they did play them live and were
the opening act for numerous big-name pop
groups at the time.

After DD&B ran their course Hinsche made
a career as a musician, frequently
recording and touring with The Beach Boys
(who had invited him to join the group but
he declined in order to go to college) and
recording with many other artists including
Elton John and Joan Jett.

IIRC Desi Arnaz Jr was featured on his
parents' show playing drums at an early
age, though he later focused his career
on acting more than music. Likewise Dean
Paul Martin became first a professional
tennis player and then an actor; an Air
National Guard pilot, he died in a plane
crash on a training mission in 1987. His
brother Ricci joined Arnaz and Hinsche for
a regrouping of DD&B (called RD&B) in
2021-11-22 00:17:00 UTC
https://extratv.com/2021/11/20/bill-hinsche-one-third-of-teen-trio-dino-desi-and-billy-dies-at-70/
https://www.facebook.com/WreckingCrewFilm/posts/10159951656358023
The Wrecking Crew
Sunday, November 21, 2021 at 10:31 AM
We have learned vocalist, guitarist, musician, and arranger Billy Hinsche passed away November 20, 2021 at the age of 70. He was born July 29, 1951 in Manila, Philippines.
The family moved to the United States and settled in Beverly Hills. Hinsche attended Loyola High School, where he met Desi Arnaz, Jr. and Dean Paul Martin. The three later formed the group Dino, Desi & Billy and signed with Frank Sinatra's record label Reprise Records.
In the late 1960s, Hinsche began to work as a session musician for The Beach Boys. Although he declined at least one offer to formally join the group in favor of continuing his education in August 1969, he toured extensively with the band as a vocalist and multi-instrumentalist (often playing keyboards and rhythm guitar) from 1971 to 1977 and 1982 to 1996.
His sister, Annie Hinsche-Wilson-Karges, was married to the group's guitarist, Carl Wilson. He earned a B.F.A. from the University of California, Los Angeles School of Theater, Film and Television in 1974.
Billy Hinsche has provided backing vocals on recordings for Elton John's "Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me," Warren Zevon's "Desperados Under The Eaves," America's "Hat Trick," Joan Jett's "Good Music" and others.