Ric Ocasek, 75
2019-09-16 00:30:16 UTC
https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Ric-Ocasek-Cars-Singer-Dead-in-NY-at-75-560430391.html
Ric Ocasek, Lead Singer of The Cars, Dead in New York at 75
Ocasek and The Cars were inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 2018
Published 30 minutes ago | Updated 5 minutes ago

Rock & Roll Hall of Famer Ric Ocasek, lead singer of the rock band The Cars, died Sunday in New York at age 75.

Police said they received a call around 4 p.m. for an unconscious male at a townhouse on East 19th Street. He was pronounced dead at the scene. Law enforcement sources confirmed the deceased was Ocasek.

Ocasek and his band were inducted into the Rock Hall in 2018. The institution described the band as "hook-savvy with the perfect combo of new wave and classic rock."

The band had 13 top-40 singles, and Ocasek went on to a successful producing career after The Cars broke up in the late 1980s.

He was also known for his long-running marriage to the Czech supermodel Paulina Porizkova. She announced their separation in 2018 after 28 years of marriage.

They listed the 19th Street residence for sale earlier this year for more than $15 million.
Tim J.
2019-09-16 00:58:48 UTC
Well, Ric, Since You're Gone...
RH Draney
2019-09-16 08:01:27 UTC
So Far Away from Me....r
Jason
2019-09-16 09:31:05 UTC
Judging from recent photos of him, You Might Think some serious medical care was Just What He Needed.
t***@gmail.com
2019-09-16 01:15:26 UTC
75? Geeeesh!
t***@gmail.com
2019-09-16 12:55:41 UTC
It seems like a lot of chart making 70's singers have been dropping off lately.
That Derek
2019-09-16 15:35:10 UTC
Cool - or as we dyslexics say "Loco."
Michael OConnor
2019-09-16 15:46:59 UTC
Post by Jason
Judging from recent photos of him, You Might Think some serious medical care was Just What He Needed.
Cool - or as we dyslexics say "Loco."
I always thought Ric Ocasek was one of the aliens from "Men in Black", that they monitored on those big screens in their complex who wore a human skin but was actually an alien underneath.

David Carson
2019-09-16 16:03:46 UTC
On Mon, 16 Sep 2019 08:46:59 -0700 (PDT), Michael OConnor
Post by Michael OConnor
I always thought Ric Ocasek was one of the aliens from "Men in Black", that they monitored on those big screens in their complex who wore a human skin but was actually an alien underneath.
http://youtu.be/Ye2_QGHW2pA
In the XCOM video games, his kind are called Thin Men.

https://xcom.fandom.com/wiki/Thin_Man
That Derek
2019-09-16 16:31:42 UTC
Before Mr. Ocasek hooked up with Paulina Porizskova, there was a long-sweeping rumour that he was gay. Circa 1985, I knew a girl who was so full of herself that she asserted that one night with her would permanently "cure" him.

Sheeesh.
Louis Epstein
2019-09-16 17:29:57 UTC
Before Mr. Ocasek hooked up with Paulina Porizskova, there was a
long-sweeping rumour that he was gay. Circa 1985, I knew a girl who was so
full of herself that she asserted that one night with her would permanently
"cure" him.
Sheeesh.
He had two sons from each of three wives (similar to Erin Murphy of Bewitched
having six sons by three husbands).

I've seen a report that it was Porizkova (his third and longest-lasting wife)
who discovered his body,despite the separation?

2019-09-22 16:00:59 UTC
Post by Louis Epstein
Post by That Derek
Before Mr. Ocasek hooked up with Paulina Porizskova, there was a
long-sweeping rumour that he was gay. Circa 1985, I knew a girl who was so
full of herself that she asserted that one night with her would permanently
"cure" him.
Sheeesh.
He had two sons from each of three wives (similar to Erin Murphy of Bewitched
having six sons by three husbands).
I've seen a report that it was Porizkova (his third and longest-lasting wife)
who discovered his body,despite the separation?
(Confirmed by her on Instagram)
2019-09-16 18:26:12 UTC
On Mon, 16 Sep 2019 09:31:42 -0700 (PDT), That Derek
Post by That Derek
Before Mr. Ocasek hooked up with Paulina Porizskova, there was
a long-sweeping rumour that he was gay.
Two prior marriages, both of which produced multiple ch*ldr*n, seems
like an odd way to go about it. Then again, he had an amusing cameo in
a John Waters movie, so...

The Cars were another act who, like Tom Petty, got their start near
the end of FM rock radio's underground(ish) era. Both somehow managed
to have mainstream success while still appealing to those a bit more
fringe-oriented. When the great radio purge came (1978-9 around here),
both seemed to effortlessly survive the transition. Or at least that's
how I think I remember it 40 years later.
That Derek
2019-09-16 18:58:14 UTC
Erin Murphy of Bewitched having six sons by three husbands)
Maybe they were three sets of twins -- one essayed the role of son and the other was in reserve.

As for the Ms. Porikova, whatever became of another mid-1980s Eurpean super model Vendela?
David Carson
2019-09-16 20:04:58 UTC
Vendela Kirsebom was a supermodel in the 90s.
Poisoned Rose
2019-09-18 18:50:34 UTC
I feel like the Cars were one of two good bands (the other: the Police)
that were ruined for me just because others saturated me too much with
their music. Never collected any Cars LPs. But re-listening to the
debut and Candy-O now after some time has passed, I think "Jeez, why
didn't I ever buy these?"

Their other albums are kinda patchy, though. Heartbeat City has some
good songs but the production wrecks it.
Michael OConnor
2019-09-18 20:02:29 UTC
Post by Poisoned Rose
I feel like the Cars were one of two good bands (the other: the Police)
that were ruined for me just because others saturated me too much with
their music. Never collected any Cars LPs. But re-listening to the
debut and Candy-O now after some time has passed, I think "Jeez, why
didn't I ever buy these?"
Their other albums are kinda patchy, though. Heartbeat City has some
good songs but the production wrecks it.
The Cars had a good run throughout the late 70's and 80's, while the Police produced five albums and called it quits, and they quit while they were on top, with the "Synchonicity" album in 1983. I wish the Police could have been one of those bands like the Rolling Stones or Fleetwood Mac who does an album and tour, then goes their separate ways (presumably to get away from one another) to do solo projects or to spend their money, only to get back together three or four years later to do it all over again. I would have loved to hear what The Police would have produced over the last 30 years.
Instead, The Police followed the show business adage of "Always leave them wanting more," and in that way you have to admire them for leaving us to wonder "What if?"
e***@gmail.com
2019-09-18 21:32:44 UTC

Although (I think) not issuing anything new as a group, The Police did do a reunion tour a few years ago
That Derek
2019-09-18 19:02:55 UTC
Police cars?
Kenny McCormack
2019-09-18 20:11:21 UTC
Post by Poisoned Rose
Cars were one of two good bands (the other: the Police)
Police cars?
Great name for a supergroup (composed of members of these two).
--
"I have a simple philosophy. Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. And
scratch where it itches."

Alice Roosevelt Longworth
MiNe109
2019-09-19 14:05:42 UTC
Post by Kenny McCormack
Post by That Derek
Post by Poisoned Rose
Cars were one of two good bands (the other: the Police)
Police cars?
Great name for a supergroup (composed of members of these two).
The "New Cars" was a 2005-07 project with Todd Rundgren and the Cars'
Elliot Easton and Greg Hawkes.

Stephen
Louis Epstein
2019-09-20 01:18:28 UTC
Post by MiNe109
Post by Kenny McCormack
Post by That Derek
Post by Poisoned Rose
Cars were one of two good bands (the other: the Police)
Police cars?
Great name for a supergroup (composed of members of these two).
The "New Cars" was a 2005-07 project with Todd Rundgren and the Cars'
Elliot Easton and Greg Hawkes.
Stephen
Hm...combine with members of ZZ Top...Z Cars.

Schedule an event for the Studio 54 location and then move it to
somewhere undisclosed...Car 54,Where Are You?

2019-09-20 08:39:50 UTC
Post by Louis Epstein
Post by MiNe109
Post by Kenny McCormack
Post by That Derek
Post by Poisoned Rose
Cars were one of two good bands (the other: the Police)
Police cars?
Great name for a supergroup (composed of members of these two).
The "New Cars" was a 2005-07 project with Todd Rundgren and the Cars'
Elliot Easton and Greg Hawkes.
Stephen
Hm...combine with members of ZZ Top...Z Cars.
Schedule an event for the Studio 54 location and then move it to
somewhere undisclosed...Car 54,Where Are You?
Target has drastically reduced its CD offerings, to the point where
adjacent pockets in the alphabetical display contain greatest-hits
collections by Prince and Queen....r
That Derek
2019-09-20 12:34:53 UTC
.. collections by Prince and Queen....r

Not to mention the Kings (Switchin' to Glide), Four Jacks and a Jill (Master Jack), and Paul Carrack's mid-1970s group Ace ... leading to the pay-off:

How long has this been going on!
Terry del Fuego
2019-09-20 12:46:25 UTC
On Fri, 20 Sep 2019 05:34:53 -0700 (PDT), That Derek
Post by That Derek
Four Jacks and a Jill (Master Jack)
I'm so glad someone else remembers that song! They/it are well worth a
Google, too.
e***@gmail.com
2019-09-20 17:33:22 UTC
Four Jacks and a Jill were real? It's the group Fred Willard says he used to play with in Spinal Tap -- didn't know a real group had the name
Terry del Fuego
2019-09-21 21:47:51 UTC
Post by e***@gmail.com
Four Jacks and a Jill were real? It's the group Fred Willard says he used
to play with in Spinal Tap -- didn't know a real group had the name
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Jacks_and_a_Jill>

I remember it getting airplay 50+ years ago and always liked it, but
it wasn't until the Internet age that I had any idea others remembered
it. Literally anyone I ever asked had no clue what I was talking
about. Stumbled across a 45 a few years back and my fellow aging music
freaks didn't recognize it at all when I played it.

Learning decades later that it was actually a critique that the South
African censors missed makes me like it even more.
Louis Epstein
2019-09-21 22:13:42 UTC
Post by e***@gmail.com
Four Jacks and a Jill were real? It's the group Fred Willard says he used to play with in Spinal Tap -- didn't know a real group had the name
How many groups have been named after references to
then-fictitious groups?
(Not sure of the chronology regarding Jacks & Jill but at least
two "Fox Force Fives" were formed after Pulp Fiction).

2019-09-21 22:34:21 UTC
Post by Louis Epstein
How many groups have been named after references to
then-fictitious groups?
(Not sure of the chronology regarding Jacks & Jill but at least
two "Fox Force Fives" were formed after Pulp Fiction).
I know of one band who had the name of an actual group in the name of the band, and it wasn't "The Band". In the mid 90's, there was actually an alternative band called (and I'm not making this up) "The Fat Girl in Wilson Phillips". Needless to say, Carnie Wilson was less than thrilled, and the band never did anything of note.

For a long time now, all the good band names have been taken, and new bands have been stuck having to take names like "Larry Goes to the Barber" or "Eating Cookies" as their band names.
Michael OConnor
2019-09-21 22:44:19 UTC
Otis Day and the Knights from "Animal House" were not an actual band when they filmed the movie, they were created for the movie and just a bunch of actors lip-synching and musicians. (Robert Cray was one of the musicians in the band in the movie.) After the success of the movie, the guy who lip-synched the lead vocals in the movie, DeWayne Jessie, purchased the rights to the band name from the movie studio and started an Otis Day and the Knights band and started touring, with Jessie doing the lead vocals. I would guess they did a lot of college fraternity parties, and probably performed "Shout!" about 30,000 times.

As Paul Harvey would say, and now you know the rest of the story...
Louis Epstein
2019-09-22 16:05:26 UTC
Post by Michael OConnor
Otis Day and the Knights from "Animal House" were not an actual band when
they filmed the movie, they were created for the movie and just a bunch of
actors lip-synching and musicians. (Robert Cray was one of the musicians in
the band in the movie.) After the success of the movie, the guy who
lip-synched the lead vocals in the movie,
Meaning the actor moving his lips...or the vocalist whose
voice was used?
2019-09-22 16:52:55 UTC
Post by Michael OConnor
DeWayne Jessie, purchased the rights to the band name from the movie studio
and started an Otis Day and the Knights band and started touring, with
Jessie doing the lead vocals. I would guess they did a lot of college
fraternity parties, and probably performed "Shout!" about 30,000 times.
As Paul Harvey would say, and now you know the rest of the story...
According to IMDB.com, in "Animal House", the songs "Shout" and "Shama Lama Ding Dong", the songs that Otis Day and the Knights performed in the movie, were sung by Lloyd Williams, who was uncredited:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077975/soundtrack?ref_=tt_trv_snd

DeWayne Jessie was just an actor who lip-synched the songs:

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0422221/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

DeWayne Jessie was just an actor who was in the right place at the right time and decided to play the Otis Day character for what it was worth. He wasn't a singer at all but probably made a lot of money playing the Otis Day character doing concerts and appearing at colleges, probably more than he made in acting.
Louis Epstein
2019-09-30 03:52:54 UTC
Post by Michael OConnor
Post by Michael OConnor
[...]
So did he lip-synch Lloyd Williams recordings for these appearances?

I don't know but would guess he took over the real singing at this point.
Louis Epstein
2019-09-21 22:48:36 UTC
Post by Michael OConnor
Post by Louis Epstein
How many groups have been named after references to
then-fictitious groups?
(Not sure of the chronology regarding Jacks & Jill but at least
two "Fox Force Fives" were formed after Pulp Fiction).
I know of one band who had the name of an actual group in the name of the
band, and it wasn't "The Band". In the mid 90's, there was actually an
alternative band called (and I'm not making this up) "The Fat Girl in
Wilson Phillips". Needless to say, Carnie Wilson was less than thrilled,
and the band never did anything of note.
Maybe they were trying to become her backup singers?

The Kast Off Kinks were formed by former members of the Kinks...
2019-09-21 23:21:59 UTC
Post by Louis Epstein
Post by e***@gmail.com
Four Jacks and a Jill were real? It's the group Fred Willard says he used to play with in Spinal Tap -- didn't know a real group had the name
How many groups have been named after references to
then-fictitious groups?
(Not sure of the chronology regarding Jacks & Jill but at least
two "Fox Force Fives" were formed after Pulp Fiction).
Death Cab for Cutie were named after the song performed in "Magical
Mystery Tour" by the Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band...Toad the Wet Sprocket were
named after a fictitious group in a Monty Python mock entertainment news
story....

Someone should probably spend some time going through the Rocklopedia
Fakebandica looking for names that have subsequently been made real....r
Louis Epstein
2019-09-22 16:03:47 UTC
Post by RH Draney
Post by Louis Epstein
Post by e***@gmail.com
Four Jacks and a Jill were real? It's the group Fred Willard says he used to play with in Spinal Tap -- didn't know a real group had the name
How many groups have been named after references to
then-fictitious groups?
(Not sure of the chronology regarding Jacks & Jill but at least
two "Fox Force Fives" were formed after Pulp Fiction).
Death Cab for Cutie were named after the song performed in "Magical
Mystery Tour" by the Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band...Toad the Wet Sprocket were
named after a fictitious group in a Monty Python mock entertainment news
story....
Someone should probably spend some time going through the Rocklopedia
Fakebandica looking for names that have subsequently been made real....r
Has anybody made a "Steel Dragon" band after the one in the Wahlberg/Aniston
"Rock Star" movie?...or a "Vesuvius" (or "ADD" for that matter) after
Rainn Wilson's "The Rocker"?

2019-09-22 16:28:47 UTC
Post by RH Draney
Someone should probably spend some time going through the Rocklopedia
Fakebandica looking for names that have subsequently been made real....r
One might also consult Jello Biafra's spoken piece "Names for Bands"
for further inspiration. It's been years since I've heard it and can't
remember most of them, but I know Biafra later took one of his own
suggestions and released a few things as Tumor Circus.

For obvious reasons, lately I think a lot about his proposed name
Aryan Embarrassment, though I suppose Great Wall of Goat Urine is also
relevant.
r***@email.vccs.edu
2019-09-21 23:45:18 UTC
Blues Brothers and Spinal Tap.
Michael OConnor
2019-09-22 00:00:13 UTC
Weren't the Blues Brothers a musical skit on SNL that kinda grew wings and took off? Belushi and Ackroyd were a couple blues aficionados and pretty quickly realized they had something there with their Blues Brothers act, and it morphed into an actual band very quickly.
That Derek
2019-09-22 23:07:42 UTC
Wikipedia sez that Gram Parsons co-opted the name of his 1960s combo "The International Submarine Band" from "The International Silver String Submarine Band," an ad hoc ensemble (the Brits would call it skiffle)that the Our Gang/Little Rascals kids formed so as to appear on a radio talent programme in the film "Mike Fright.

"Do you like lemons?"
"Yeah, they're good for your freckles."

I believe Gary Sinise put together a band that plays at veterans' events under the nomenclature "The Lieutenant Dan Band," named after his character in "Forrest Gump."

Of course, Duran Duran derived their name from Milo O'Shea's character in the film "Barbarella."

T'Pau, a 1980s one-hit wonder girl pop band, were named after someone/something on the original "Star Trek."
Michael OConnor
2019-09-22 23:49:56 UTC
Wikipedia sez that Gram Parsons co-opted the name of his 1960s combo "The International Submarine Band" from "The International Silver String Submarine Band," an ad hoc ensemble (the Brits would call it skiffle)that the Our Gang/Little Rascals kids formed so as to appear on a radio talent programme in the film "Mike Fright.
"Do you like lemons?"
"Yeah, they're good for your freckles."
It starts at about the 11:30 mark in the episode:

I always loved that Our Gang episode, and the kids were eating lemons while the kid was watching them while trying to play the trumpet while auditioning on the radio. Also, the circuit breaker kept going off in the control room and blowing off the Engineer's hat and he had that frizzed-out hair.