Jurgen Aurednik - Legendary Auckland waiter & restaurateur
Bob Feigel
2008-09-26 06:40:23 UTC
(This obituary came in the Cuisine Magazine e-newsletter and sadness
both my wife and me because we knew Jurgen and enjoyed his
professionalism as both a waiter an restaurateur on many occasions
over the years.

I was writing and producing commercials for Auckland's top radio
station when he opened his restaurant, Jurgen's in the CBD, and I got
the enviable job of helping him launch it with a series of
commercials.

I say enviable because Jurgen insisted that I be familiar with his
menu before I wrote any commercials and the only way I could do this
is sample it and sample it.

I'll never forget one particular lunch when my order of scallops
poached in white wine was served in a seashell as large enough to
swallow Tarzan's leg. There must have been three - maybe four - dozen
fat juicy scallops and it was the first and only time I've been
defeated by a serving of this delicacy. Of course he was delighted and
considered it a personal victory. For several years Jurgen's was
considered to be the best seafood restaurant in Auckland and we ate
there many times.

The last we saw Jurgen was at Soul Bistro & Bar - our current
favourite seafood restaurant when we're in Auckland. He wasn't serving
us this time around, but had the time before and stopped by our table
to say a brief hello. At the time we thought he looked a bit haggard,
but he was a very intense individual and everything had to be done
just right. He moved like a dancer through the busy restaurant and
never slowed down.

Having trained & worked as a waiter under "Captain Kurt" - a demanding
Swiss-German maître-de who really knew his stuff - I have a great
appreciation for a consummate pro and Jurgen was one of the few I've
seen. We both will miss him greatly.

Requiescat in pace, Jurgen. We will never forget you.

From the Cuisine Magazine e-newsletter:

Obituary: Jurgen Aurednik

The very professional and highly regarded Jurgen Aurednik passed away
suddenly last Sunday 21 September.

Jurgen was a Guéridon service waiter at the legendary restaurant
Bonaparte in Auckland's Victoria St in the 1970s.

Cooking at the table was his forte - a skill rarely seen in today's
restaurants - and although he could turn his hand to anything, crêpes
Suzette and scallops flamed in Pernod were his specialities.

He opened his own eponymous restaurant, Jurgen's, in Wyndham St,
Auckland City, in the 1980s, and was well known more recently to the
many regular clients of Ramses, Sails, and Soul Bar and Bistro.

An exemplary waiter, he will be greatly missed for his experience
and knowledge of the hospitality scene.
--
"It's not that I'm afraid to die. I just don't want to be there when it happens." - Woody Allen

Wax-up and drop-in of Surfing's Golden Years: <http://www.surfwriter.net>
p***@gmail.com
2019-07-30 10:53:02 UTC
Post by Bob Feigel
[...]
restaurants - and although he could turn his hand to anything, crępes
Suzette and scallops flamed in Pernod were his specialities.
He opened his own eponymous restaurant, Jurgen's, in Wyndham St,
Auckland City, in the 1980s, and was well known more recently to the
many regular clients of Ramses, Sails, and Soul Bar and Bistro.
An exemplary waiter, he will be greatly missed for his experience
and knowledge of the hospitality scene.
--
"It's not that I'm afraid to die. I just don't want to be there when it happens." - Woody Allen
Wax-up and drop-in of Surfing's Golden Years: <http://www.surfwriter.net>
Just saw your review/orbituary now - 11 years after you wrote it. I am Austrian, living in Germany now but travelled a lot to the far East (on business) in the 80's. Was one of the first guests at Jürgen's after he left the hotel and started his own business. When I saw him there - serve left handed I recognized he could only be the son of my favourite left wing footballer in Austria - Harry Aurednik. Having served me (of course in English) I asked him in broad Viennese about his family in Vienna. I shall never forget the rest of the evening..... and yes, he could deal with fish. ***@dalko.com