Chad Stuart, half of Chad & Jeremy, 79
Add Reply
radioacti...@gmail.com
2020-12-21 00:43:20 UTC
With the late Stuart's expiration today, ALSO dead is the disbanded British Invasion act Chad & Jeremy--notwithstanding that Jeremy Clyde is, thank Zoroaster, still living and working in showbiz and tunesbiz.

Reviewing the C&J wiki entry, I never realized how many '60s sitcoms their US agent landed for them, although everyone remembers them on Batman, no?

CLOSING SIDE NOTE:
Incidentally*, SO sorry for the long silence herein, y'all--and even sorrier I never got around to explaining why I had never heard of Sam Shepard's unfortunate death!--but I'm afraid I've been more than busy of late. I'm preoccupied with some deadlined writing projects, so my mini-essays herein shall remain unwritten as well as unpublished, something I imagine most if not nearly all y'all shall respond to yourselves with, "What, no mo' Styble, all winter** I sure hope? Well, then 2020 ain't ALL bad!"

Ergo: Merry [and healthy!] New Year 2021 one and all herein, and NEVER FORGET: people everywhere on Christmas Day 2004 pretty much figured all the big news had already occurred that year...when the VERY NEXT morning, Boxing Day 2004, surf was, uh, UP in the Indian Ocean, with those hundreds of thousands unlucky folk swept away making THAT arguably the #1 story of the year. (Moral of the memory: do NOT compile your Big Stories of 2020 roster until AT THE EARLIEST 12/30/2020; in fact, about 10 pm on 12/31 would be more prudent.)

BRYAN STYBLE/Florida
_____________________________________
* An adverb Prager University czar Dennis Prager--who endlessly brags to his ever-suffering commercial newstalk radio audience how meticulously he speaks the English language--insists on mispronouncing without its penultimate syllable, a regionalism that, while listed by some respected dictionaries as commonly-used and thus acceptable, nonetheless makes anyone so saying it sound lazily uneducated.
** Right this moment well less than 24 hours distant; the winter solstice*** here throughout the northern hemisphere occurs sometime Monday morning during the minute***** of 8:30 am Eastern/5:30 am Pacific.
*** Remarkably concurrent with that Jupiter/Saturn conjunction just past sunset tomorrow in the southwestern sky, the closest since the 16th Century and the most-EASILY****-seen since something like the 13th Century.
**** Inasmuch as that one back in Galileo's era appeared quite close to the sun, from the perspective of earth.
***** But ONLY for an instant; as anyone who knows 7th grade astronomy understands, solstices, like full moons, only happen instantaneously, even though wall calendars imply they last 24 hours.
Lenona
2020-12-21 01:46:33 UTC
***** But ONLY for an instant; as anyone who knows 7th grade astronomy understands, solstices, like full moons, only happen instantaneously, even though wall calendars imply they last 24 hours.

Reminds me of how many Americans, in particular, have long refused to think of themselves as old just because they're over 70 - and for the last 20 years or so, the professional media have embraced the ungrammatical use of the word "older" instead of "old."

That is, people have to make up their minds. They could think of middle age as beginning and ending on one day only, after which they would be officially old. But, of course, no one wants that mindset. OR they could assume, reasonably, that they won't live longer than 81 or so, and therefore, "middle age" could begin at 27 and end at 54. Since plenty of people get ill and die long before 80, often because of bad health habits, why not?

That, in turn, reminds me of when the author of "Growing Up With the Beatles" complained in the book about the look of the cover of the album "Rubber Soul" - not for the reasons you might think, but because to him, the Beatles already looked...OLD. Despite the fact that Ringo, the oldest, was only 25 at the time.
radioacti...@gmail.com
2020-12-21 03:31:10 UTC
Oh, and while y'all are joining me tomorrow night just past sundown in peering through high-power binoculars at that rare Jupiter/Saturn [apparent] dance, you might as WELL in that same southwestern sky locate--inasmuch as it's now December; no-could-do in June or August--and then FIXATE into the constellation Sagitarius, and more specifically the so-called Sagitarius-A...and THEN imagine some 30,000 light-years [thus nearly 20 quadrillion miles] at a smidgen faster than 186,282 miles/second, all down that line-of-[much-obscured]-sight through loads of dust about two-thirds of the way there--and you'll be staring DIRECTLY AT the mega-black-holed center of The Milky Way !

(No time tonight for me to double-check that galactic data, which I last looked up decades ago; feel free to correct any astronomical details I got wrong.)

Happy New Year (but the same old galaxy, alas) !
STYBLE/Florida
Louis Epstein
2020-12-24 07:00:14 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
***** But ONLY for an instant; as anyone who knows 7th grade astronomy understands, solstices, like full moons, only happen instantaneously, even though wall calendars imply they last 24 hours.
Reminds me of how many Americans, in particular, have long refused to think of
themselves as old just because they're over 70 - and for the last 20 years or
so, the professional media have embraced the ungrammatical use of the word
"older" instead of "old."
The over-85 are termed the "old old" and the over-95 the "super old" though
not all agree on those boundaries.However one divides the aging and the aged
an amplifying suffix should not imply reduction...it bothers me that the
term "higher speed rail" is used for trains slower than those termed
2020-12-24 07:07:18 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
With the late Stuart's expiration today, ALSO dead is the disbanded British Invasion act Chad & Jeremy--notwithstanding that Jeremy Clyde is, thank Zoroaster, still living and working in showbiz and tunesbiz.
Reviewing the C&J wiki entry, I never realized how many '60s sitcoms their US
agent landed for them, although everyone remembers them on Batman, no?
Batman's the only thing I ever remember seeing them on.

But Jeremy is one of the dwindling group of survivors of the
coronation procession of Queen Elizabeth II...he carried the
coronet of his grandfather,the 7th Duke of Wellington.
2020-12-24 08:32:33 UTC
Post by Louis Epstein
Post by ***@gmail.com
With the late Stuart's expiration today, ALSO dead is the disbanded British Invasion act Chad & Jeremy--notwithstanding that Jeremy Clyde is, thank Zoroaster, still living and working in showbiz and tunesbiz.
Reviewing the C&J wiki entry, I never realized how many '60s sitcoms their US
agent landed for them, although everyone remembers them on Batman, no?
Batman's the only thing I ever remember seeing them on.
I remember them on The Dick Van Dyke Show and the western series
Laredo...thought they were also on I Dream of Jeannie but it appears I'm
mixing them up here with Boyce and Hart....r