Confucius' 2500th death anniversary - April 11?
Add Reply
Lenona
2021-04-12 14:38:19 UTC
That, at least, was the date I found when I did a simple search.

However, at least one source says he died on Nov. 21st.

What's truly strange, though, is that while every source seems to claim he died in 479 BCE, I can't find any specific ceremonies that were planned for this year. (But I DID find mentions of such ceremonies that happened prior to this year.) I don't get it.

In the meantime, here are some recent news stories:

"Disorder Will Come - As Confucius Warned" Gold Eagle

"Confucius' 76th Generation Descendant to Star in Taiwanese Comedy" Taiwan News

"Confucianism Has Become Political Punchbag in South Korea" The Economist

And, from last July: "Was This Ancient Taoist the First Philosopher of Disability?" The New York Times

Lenona.
radioacti...@gmail.com
2021-04-12 21:15:39 UTC
Confucius say, "Never forget that after they place you in the ground, the first 10,000 years is JUST THE BEGINNING!"

(Actually, punctuated Lenona., I heard that not from a first millennium-BC Oriental wise man, but rather from a 20th Century wisecracking late night network television personality, that being Tom Snyder on his wonderful Tomorrow broadcast. And thanks for the Confucius data!)

BRYAN STYBLE/Florida
Lenona
2021-04-13 14:00:15 UTC
Turns out that last one was NOT really about Confucius, but it's still very much worth reading.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/08/opinion/disability-philosophy-zhuangzi.html