Rob Hiaasen, 59, columnist/asst. editor; brother of novelist Carl Hiaasen -- Annapolis MD newspaper shooting
2018-06-29 06:45:22 UTC
https://www.tcpalm.com/story/news/local/florida/2018/06/28/capital-gazette-shooting-rob-hiaasen-brother-carl-hiaasen-killed/744497002/

Capital Gazette shooting: Rob Hiaasen, brother of Miami Herald columnist Carl Hiaasen, among dead

Daniel Rorabaugh, Treasure Coast NewspapersPublished 10:02 p.m. ET June 28, 2018 | Updated 10:16 p.m. ET June 28, 2018

Rob Hiaasen, the brother of Miami Herald columnist Carl Hiaasen, was killed in Thursday's shooting at a Maryland newspaper, according to published media reports.

Rob Hiaasen was an assistant editor and Sunday columnist at the Capital Gazette in Annapolis, where Thursday a man shot and killed at least five people in what authorities are calling a "targeted attack" on the newsroom.

Rob Hiaasen was raised in the Fort Lauderdale area and worked for the Palm Beach Post before moving to the Baltimore Sun in 1993. He took the job at the Capital Gazette in 2010.

Carl Hiaasen wrote about the loss of his brother on Facebook:

"I am devastated and heartsick to confirm the loss of my wonderful brother Rob today in the mass shooting in the newsroom at the Annapolis Capital Gazette. Rob was an editor and columnist at the paper, and one of the most gentle and funny people I've ever known. He spent his whole gifted career as a journalist, and he believed profoundly in the craft and mission of serving the public's right to know the news.

"We called him Big Rob because he was so tall, but it was his remarkable heart and humor that made him larger than all of us.

"Please keep our family in your thoughts and prayers tonight.

"Hug your loved ones like there's no tomorrow."
l***@yahoo.com
2018-07-26 16:46:20 UTC
What do you know...

From Katha Pollitt's latest column at The Nation (about civility in politics):

"Right-wing troll Milo Yiannopoulos texted reporters, 'I can't wait for the vigilante squads to start gunning journalists down on sight.' Two days after his provocation, someone did just that at Maryland’s Capital Gazette. Now Milo says he was just kidding."

2018-07-26 16:48:24 UTC
Forgot the link.

https://www.thenation.com/article/right-abandoned-civility-long-time-ago/