Another Thought...
Add Reply
ansaman
2020-03-19 15:42:12 UTC
Throughout history you see archeologists commenting
that certain cities and civilizations have failed
or been abandoned for unknown reasons. Perhaps this has
happened many times before throughout history.

Any student of biology knows about population crashes
when an organism is too successful and exceeds the
carrying capacity of their environment. Of course,
this ameliorated by our technology as we have become
so many, our cities have become so large, and our
medical and public health capabilities have had to
step up to protect us. The level of interconnectedness
across the world has reached a critical point several
decades ago when intercontinental air travel became
possible, then common, and now ubiquitous. No part
of the world and no culture or biome is more than
hours beyond any other. In a sense, the cultural
practices of the far east and the thrid world have now
a direct impact on the entire world. Despite any
claims of so-called racism or any condemnation of
practices of command economies and repressive governments,
their decisions are NO LONGER SOLELY THEIR BUSINESS
as they claim. Their inadequacies and practices affect
the entire world and this needs to be addressed more
stringently. In the end, this is going to mean many
changes may need to come eventually that will be distasteful
to many nation-states of all types and cultural flavors.
Kenny McCormack
2020-03-19 17:22:09 UTC
Post by ansaman
[...]
Excellent. Well written.

Won't happen, of course.
--
One should not believe everything posted to USENET.

- Aharon (Arnold) Robbins arnold AT skeeve DOT com -
- 4/15/19 -
ansaman
2020-03-19 18:05:08 UTC
Post by Kenny McCormack
Post by ansaman
[...]
Thanks. It is my own ideation and writing.
I used to write history for a living.
This is what my old college used to
call "interdisciplinary thinking."
Dave P.
2020-03-20 06:21:42 UTC
Post by ansaman
Post by Kenny McCormack
Post by ansaman
[...]
Essay on Peace [approx. 600 words]

[I was a member of the M.I.T. Experimental Study Group in 1971
and have been a member of a twelve-step program for 34 years.]

I have talked to people about world peace for nearly fifty years,
in private conversations and on the Internet/Usenet since 1992.
Most people say something like "War is inevitable and there's
nothing you can do; it's human nature."

In 1971 someone at M.I.T. said to me: "If you want to see the big
picture, you have to take everything into account!" Over the years
I began to see that politicians aren't looking at the big picture;
they are mostly focused on votes in the next election. They
typically pick a few issues that will get them the most support,
procrastinate on many others, and when something goes wrong, they
point fingers. In less free countries with flawed or sham democracy,
the leaders very often use foreign intrigue to divert attention from
their subpar economic performance, and similarly play the blame game.

In 1988 I placed an ad for Politicians Anonymous in the Cleveland
Plain Dealer classifieds.
I thought I was the first to mention P.A., but I found out last year
that it first appeared in print in an article in the July 1960 issue
of the A.A. Grapevine. The story, titled "A.A. Steps for the
Underprivileged Non-A.A.", was written by a Jesuit priest from
St. Louis, Fr. Edward J. Dowling, S.J. (1898-1960). He had been
A.A. co-founder Bill Wilson's spiritual advisor since 1940. The story
was reprinted in "The Soul of Sponsorship: the friendship of Father
Ed Dowling and Bill Wilson in letters", by Robert Fitzgerald, S.J.,
published by Hazelden, 1995.
https://tinyurl.com/edward-dowling
P.A. was also mentioned in a letter by Bruce Beyer of Sanford, Florida,
published in the Orlando Sentinel on January 8, 2011.
https://tinyurl.com/brucebeyerpa

The purpose of regular attendance at recovery meetings is to see
more and more clearly how decisions based on self, at the expense of
the common good, are the cause of trouble and conflict. These kinds
of decisions, made by numerous members of the political class worldwide,
throughout history, are well-documented. The only one I would add here
is the decision to extend life spans as much as possible, by preventing
communicable diseases. (The common good includes other creatures,
future generations, and the environment.)

Whenever I tell people that we should stop making flu shots and
MMR vaccines, in order to shorten the average life span by a few years,
they say: "You first! Lead by example!". I never take a flu shot, and
I already had all the childhood diseases, in the 1960s.

Our own political leaders should start going to P.A. meetings first,
to lead the world by example. Every major city in the U.S. has special
recovery meetings for prominent people, that are not listed on the
regular public schedule. I suspect that some of those people have
political experience, and if they are contacted, would be willing to
help get P.A. going.

Some people have asked: "What are they addicted to?" Politics is a
collection of overlapping group activities, so it's hard to tell
exactly who is doing what and for what reason. Leaders do have a
basket of luxuries available to them, in many cases, including:
1. Being in the spotlight
2. Spending other people's money
3. Lining one's pockets
4. Pushing people around
5. Partying and jetsetting
There certainly exists in many of them a psychological craving to
hold onto power. Power changes people; it makes them do things
they wouldn't normally do, like disrespecting boundaries with other
people. When left to their own devices, the result is endless war.

If we could somehow make P.A. a job requirement, I believe it would
encourage more folks from that other group of chronic troublemakers --
alcoholics and addicts -- to accept recovery and learn a new way of life!
Louis Epstein
2020-03-23 01:53:06 UTC
Post by Dave P.
Post by ansaman
https://imagehost.vendio.com/a/30377179/view/classified2.JPG
[...]
Those who want to die are as good as dead already
and their advice of no use to the living,who are
at eternal war with death.